Gransnet forums

Food

Ideas for salads please

(66 Posts)
Dizza25 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:02:50

Hi everyone, not very innovative when it comes to salads. Tend to just use leaves/lettuce, cucumber, radish, tomato and spring onion chopped or sliced up. Any ideas for more interesting salads? As a side dish or as a main. They can’t include grains - rice couscous etc as DH is allergic but can handle lentils. TIA.

MawtheMerrier Sat 09-Jul-22 18:09:23

I used to love what I think of as German potato salad- medium sized cubes of new potatoes in a dressing of mayonnaise, chopped (sweet) gherkins and pieces of German sausage- the big fat sort of Frankfurters are good. Memories of home!

I also like Salade Niçoise, chunks of tuna, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes and black olives topped with quartered hard boiled (but just set) eggs usually on a bed of little gem lettuce.

mimismo Sat 09-Jul-22 16:49:34

Drained chick peas with chopped peppers, onion, sweetcorn, grated carrot, hardboiled egg, tuna. Or same with rice.

janipans Fri 08-Jul-22 15:33:14

Everyone loves my potato salad - just cook cubes of unpeeled potatoes with garden peas then, when cool, add finely chopped raw red onion and mayo and mix.

purplehead Tue 05-Jul-22 18:56:05

Rocket leaves, mild goats cheese with sliced strawberries and walnuts, cucumber, tomatoes and anything else you like in a salad, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

I never used to like fruit in my salad but found this quite moorish. Enjoy

Dizza25 Tue 05-Jul-22 18:18:03

Hannah, thank you so much for the remoulde recipe, we loved it on holiday in France too, will definitely give it a go!

Fennel Tue 05-Jul-22 17:58:55

Hannah - I like your dressing recipe.
I haven't read the whole thread, but the dressing of a salad makes all the difference. And whether it's for a whole meal or a light side dish.
I find just mayonnaise very indigestible.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 05-Jul-22 11:59:20

Remoulade.
Coursely grate or cut into matchsticks half a celeriac. Toss in lemon juice to prevent browning.
Mix together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, teaspoon of Dijon mustard plus a pinch of dry English mustard powder (optional) a quarter teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper,
Mix into the grated celeriac and serve or let stand in fridge until you’re ready to eat.
You can buy it ready made in France but sadly not in the uk.
I’m adducted to it.

Maggiemaybe Tue 05-Jul-22 11:41:51

Our favourite is a broad bean salad with pancetta or crispy bacon bits, served on lettuce. It's a Delia one, but adaptable. Steam the broad beans and mix in whatever vinegar and oil you fancy, with some garlic, mustard, mixed herbs, while still warm. Let it cool and add your bacon bits. It really is delicious.

Witzend Tue 05-Jul-22 11:30:47

Coleslaw is a year round favourite in this house, Esspee, not least because all the ingredients keep very well - no salad leaves going slimy in the fridge.

White cabbage, carrot, celery, apple and onion - with only just enough mayonnaise to bind. I really dislike any coleslaw swimming in the stuff.
Always goes down well with guests, too - there’s never any left. Equally good with any cold meats, grilled ditto or a barbecue.

kevincharley Tue 05-Jul-22 11:21:56

Look out for Salad Toppers. Mixtures of seeds, sprouted seeds, chick peas etc. Gives great textures.
And grated cheese. Can't have a salad without grated cheese.
Also, if you usually slice your tomatoes, cucumbers, etc, try dicing them for a change, it's surprising what a difference it makes as you get several flavours and textures in one forkful.

Buddleja Tue 05-Jul-22 10:47:16

Sliced sugar snap peas make a great salad vegetable.

Nanascats Tue 05-Jul-22 10:40:30

Should add that tinned peaches are best as they have more juice.

Nanascats Tue 05-Jul-22 10:39:29

I love grated carrots with peaches

Pedwards Mon 04-Jul-22 19:02:20

Mixed beans, using combinations of tinned beans added to chopped toms, cucumber onion, mint and parsley with a mustard/garlic/oil/lemon juice/salt & pepper dressing

Dizza25 Mon 04-Jul-22 18:15:19

Thanks so much, chickpeas are fine as are lentils, so will give them a go. Inspired by the responses I added feta cheese and olives to our usual salad with a squeeze of lemon, we both gave it a thumbs up, along with lemon chicken and new potatoes. Definitely going to be more adventurous, thanks everyone.

Grammaretto Mon 04-Jul-22 17:22:31

These all sound so yum! I was going to mention grated carrot and sliced orange and a few sultanas but I think someone did and beetroot with orange too.
Then good old potato salad with spring onions and mayo.
Tomatoes are getting good again coming into season so you can't beat sliced toms in a French dressing with basil leaves.

Mrsdigitalis Mon 04-Jul-22 17:00:55

Croutons flavoured with sumac add interest

coastalgran Mon 04-Jul-22 16:29:07

Be lazy buy ready prepared from M&S or Sainsbury or any other supermarket, they all do them.

Mallin Mon 04-Jul-22 15:39:44

Tin of black kidney beans
Tin of sweetcorn.
Red peppers or mixed coloured peppers
1.Empty black kidney beans into a colander and wash under cold water until all traces of original liquid from tin have gone. Place in serving dish.
2. Empty sweetcorn into colander and do same.
3. Slice open peppers. Remove pips and white bits. Slice thinly and chop smaller. Pop into serving dish with kidney beans and sweetcorn. Mix up a bit.
Eat!!!!!!!
If serving with pork chops, add chopped up sweet apple to ingredients or/and currants which you should wash in colander then soak in fresh water for minimum of an hour. But only with pork. Added apple and current mix not suitable for things like burgers, sausages or similar. Basic recipe learnt from German friends.

readalot Mon 04-Jul-22 15:32:50

You could add celery, courgette, peppers,grated carrots and cheese for a change

win Mon 04-Jul-22 14:44:40

My salads are lettuce, avocado and grapes as the base then anything else available such as oranges, pears, apples, carrots, cold veg of any kind pasta and rice. I always top with French dressing, humous and grated cheese. Wonderful. Live on them

rowyn Mon 04-Jul-22 14:39:15

Agree with Nana8 - love watermelon salad.

Maggierose Mon 04-Jul-22 14:25:06

Grated carrot and apple some nuts and pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds. Doesn’t really need a dressing but try your favourite mayonnaise

nanna8 Mon 04-Jul-22 14:05:19

Great ideas here ( or should I say ‘grate’!) will definitely try some

Cambia Mon 04-Jul-22 13:27:17

Grated carrot with chopped apple, delicious and healthy.