Gransnet forums

Food

Salad recipes without lettuce

(14 Posts)
PinkCosmos Fri 08-Jul-22 12:29:04

Does anyone have any good salad recipes which don't include lettuce, pasta or rice.

Lettuce disagrees with me and my DH is on a low carb diet so won't eat rice or pasta.

I have a lovely recipe for Greek salad but I am getting a bit fed up with it now

Thanks in advance smile

Pantglas2 Fri 08-Jul-22 12:35:44

I do a lovely crunchy curried cauliflower ?

Add a tbsp of mango chutney to 3tbsp of mayo and stir in a tsp madras curry powder. Separate half a cauli into tiny florets and add to sauce with handful of sultanas and 1 diced and peeled apple. Season with salt & pepper.

PinkCosmos Fri 08-Jul-22 12:46:09

Thanks Pantglas2 that sounds lovely. Will definitely try it

JackyB Fri 08-Jul-22 14:27:27

Can you eat any other leafy veg? (Lamb's lettuce, spinach, romaine, iceberg?)

Gongoozler Fri 08-Jul-22 14:40:55

I often add parsley, chopped mint and even young dandelion leaves and chickweed to my salads.

Thanks Pantglas2, I like onion Bhajis and samosas and it sounds as if your cauliflower recipe will go well. I will certainly try it.

Goldencity Fri 08-Jul-22 14:55:10

Copped apple, cucumber and mint or parsley.

Grated carrot, peas, sweetcorn

Apple, red cabbage, sultanas.

Gongoozler Fri 08-Jul-22 16:19:35

Goldencity

Copped apple, cucumber and mint or parsley.

Grated carrot, peas, sweetcorn

Apple, red cabbage, sultanas.

That’s me at the door now!

Jaxjacky Fri 08-Jul-22 16:30:48

Young spinach, marinaded mushrooms (a la grecque), coleslaw, cold frittata.

TwiceAsNice Fri 08-Jul-22 16:34:50

Boil some new potatoes and hard boil several eggs and let cool.

Chop up spring onions and cooked beetroot. Chop up potatoes and slice eggs , add to a large bowl and mix altogether with mayonnaise.

Great with barbecued meat, or fresh or smoked salmon.

Flytothestars Fri 08-Jul-22 16:39:40

Steamed cauliflower florets - tin of anchovies, chopped - 1 tbs capers - olive or avocado oil - good balsamic vinegar - black olives - chopped parsley. Very yum!

Grandmadinosaur Fri 08-Jul-22 16:55:28

Vegetables roasted in the oven ie peppers,courgettes,mushroom,onion,fennel,cherry tomatoes are nice served cold on a bed of spinach.

Sloegin Fri 08-Jul-22 17:19:55

Today I made a quick salad of grated carrot, a little finely chopped onion, finely chopped celery, red pepper and chopped toasted walnuts. I'd have put apple in but didn't have any. Made a French dressing with,olive oil,Dijon mustard, Balsamic vinegar and a splash of Maple syrup. This is a tip I picked up from my Canadian SIL.

StarDreamer Fri 08-Jul-22 17:33:39

Galia melon included.

Witzend Fri 08-Jul-22 17:34:35

Shredded white cabbage with whatever else you have or fancy. fancy. Keeps much better than lettuce, too.