Gransnet forums

Food

Heinz products back on Tesco’s shelves - did you miss them?

(15 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sat 09-Jul-22 08:37:34

So that’s all right then grin
“In a joint statement, the companies said: “Tesco and Heinz are pleased to have reached an agreement that will see the full range of Heinz products return to Tesco shelves and online, continuing to offer our customers great value on the nation’s favourite Heinz varieties.
‘Tesco colleagues will be working hard to ensure shelves are filled again over the coming days’
“Lorries full of Heinz products including Heinz Tomato Ketchup and Heinz Beanz will hit the road shortly, and Tesco colleagues will be working hard to ensure shelves are filled again over the coming days.”
Tesco is understood to have agreed to pay more for Heinz products, after having said it was seeking to protect its customers from “unjustifiable price increases”. The supermarket had been selling Heinz products for less than its rivals. Figures from Assosia, compiled for The Daily Telegraph, showed a 415g can of Heinz baked beans was on sale for £1 at Tesco, compared to £1.20 at Asda and £1.20 at Sainsbury’s. Heinz ketchup was selling for £2 in Tesco, £2.79 in Asda and £2.80 in Sainsbury’s.
The row meant Heinz products were running short in many Tesco shops and online. Deliveries are expected to start arriving in stores from early next week.”

Of course with soaring prices, many of us canny shoppers have been buying own brands for some time.

Esspee Sat 09-Jul-22 08:41:35

I can’t think of anything from Heinz in my cupboards. I think we are getting a bit more consumer savvy.

Kate1949 Sat 09-Jul-22 10:07:19

I used to be a bit of a fusspot with buying brands for certain items. I bought a tin of Aldi baked beans and they are the best beans we've had. Heinz are watery.

henetha Sat 09-Jul-22 10:10:25

I like Heinz, a good old reliable brand, but with today's price increases I have to go for the cheaper ones mostly.

NannyJan53 Sat 09-Jul-22 10:13:26

Not bought Heinz products for years. Own brands are just as good, and some are better. I too prefer Aldi own brand baked beans to any other.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 09-Jul-22 11:15:04

I buy Tesco's own brand beans and other brands of most kinds of soup, but can't see past Heinz tomato ketchup and tomato soup. Yesterday morning there were only 2 bottles of Heinz ketchup on the shelves in Tesco here. Both were the reduced sugar and salt ones, so I wasn't tempted. Thought they would sort it out before long, and what do you know, they have. grin

Blossoming Sat 09-Jul-22 11:20:34

Heinz cream of tomato soup, my comfort food when I’m poorly.

Georgesgran Sat 09-Jul-22 12:08:24

Got to be Heinz tomato soup.
Nothing comes close for me.

Smileless2012 Sat 09-Jul-22 12:11:55

TBH I hadn't missed them as the only product I'd run out of were baked beans and managed to get some in Aldi.

Has to be Heinz baked beans, tinned spaghetti, tomato soup and tomato ketchup for me.

FlexibleFriend Sat 09-Jul-22 12:46:28

Probably the only product I eat from Heinz is baked beans and not very often at that but I will continue to buy them as that's what my taste buds prefer.

SueDonim Sat 09-Jul-22 14:14:38

I was looking for Heinz tomato soup in Sainsburys the other day. They had all sorts of variants - no added sugar/limited edition/organic/kick of chilli - but no normal tomato soup. ?‍♀️

I don’t rate Aldi beans, they’re watery, but M&S beans are v good, and at only 35p, good value for money.

Only Heinz tomato sauce will do for us but we don’t use much of it so I don’t mind paying out. Within reason of course!

Kate1949 Sat 09-Jul-22 15:47:22

Lidl's tomato soup tastes exactly the same as Heinz to me.

Funnygran Sat 09-Jul-22 16:45:43

Just had a look and the only Heinz item is tomato ketchup for when the grandchildren are here. I find it far too sweet. Aldi and Tesco own brand bakes beans are our favourites, far superior to Heinz in our opinion.

Funnygran Sat 09-Jul-22 16:46:19

baked beans

Greyduster Sat 09-Jul-22 17:00:16

The only thing Heinz make that I wouldn’t compromise on is tomato ketchup. I don’t buy any of their other products. Their beans are a weary imitation of what they used to be. Aldi are far better.