Gransnet forums

Food

Lemon Barley Water recipe please!

(16 Posts)
ixion Sun 10-Jul-22 09:08:57

After a week of household Covid, I am thinking about trying to make this as an alternative to home made lemonade (makes us cough!).

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe, please?
I have checked my (great)grandmother's personal collection, but she seemed only to promote beef tea (and other budget unmentionables?)
Thank you!

RichmondPark Sun 10-Jul-22 10:08:22

I can't help I'm afraid, but I have noticed I can no longer buy this in supermarkets. Do they not make it any more?

Hope you and your family are soon feeling much better ixion.

ixion Sun 10-Jul-22 10:25:45

Thank you!
I was able to buy the Robinson's ( THE ?) version in my online Sainsbury's shop, prompted by the Wimbledon Effect - although, sadly, now no longer a Sponsor...

henetha Sun 10-Jul-22 10:29:29

Sorry, I don't know how to make it, but I did see some Robinson's Lemon Barley in Tesco's just last week.

H1954 Sun 10-Jul-22 10:32:20

www.food.com/recipe/refreshing-lemon-barley-water-482342

There you go

Hymnbook Sun 10-Jul-22 10:35:06

Morning everyone. I buy Robinsons lemon barley from Tesco.

Namsnanny Sun 10-Jul-22 10:37:47

I always wondered what the barley added to the cordial, vitamins, flavour?

henetha Sun 10-Jul-22 10:40:18

PS. ixion, I notice you said that home made lemonade makes you cough. There are some squashes that make me cough and my throat feel really uncomfortable. I always thought it was due to colouring additives, but as yours is home made that can't be the case. Strange, isn't it.

Redhead56 Sun 10-Jul-22 11:03:07

What a nice old recipe I must try it I love lemons in everything possible.

tanith Sun 10-Jul-22 11:54:50

Ooh I love lemon barley so I’m going to make some I have a bag of barley already as it goes in stews in the Winter just need some lemons.

nanna8 Sun 10-Jul-22 12:13:16

That looks a good recipe and we have a few lemons on the tree , will pick them tomorrow.

Kim19 Sun 10-Jul-22 14:40:19

I'll have a go at that recipe too. Thanks H. However, I'll replace the lemon s with limes. I find them twice as juicy with little or no white pith and half the price. Lovely........

Nannagarra Sun 10-Jul-22 14:58:07

Taken from my mum’s recipe book (1948!)

1 ounce pearl barley
1 pint cold water
Rind and juice of 1 lemon
Sugar to taste

1. Wash and blanch the barley, then put it in a pan with the water and thinly-peeled lemon rind.
2. Simmer slowly for 2 hours then strain and sweeten to taste.
3. Add the strained lemon juice.

I prefer H1954’s version, though!

Fennel Sun 10-Jul-22 18:52:04

I once made lemon barley water as an alternative to the bought potassium citrate which was given in the old days for UTIs.
And was really horrible. neither helped much.
Just boil a handful of barley in a pint of water. Strain it and add some pure lemon juice to the strained liquid.

ixion Mon 11-Jul-22 10:30:10

Thank you to everyone for replying.
I will add those ingredients to my on line order for tomorrow and see what we get!

(Tickled also now to see here Tesco ads for Robinson's squash?)

henetha Mon 11-Jul-22 11:02:31

Yep! I noticed that. We are being watched on here I think confused