Gransnet forums

Food

anyone tried Potage ready meals ?

(15 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 24-Jul-22 11:14:28

I am so sick of cooking I have enjoyed Charlie Bigham's meals but there is not much choice M & S some distance away from us so wondered about this company. They have an offer in the Mail to-day for a trial pack but I guess they are only 1 person portions they are offering in the offer . I do not want anything that is less than really good . I can post the offer if anyone wants it .

Razzamatazz Sun 24-Jul-22 11:17:26

My 85 year old aunt has Wiltshire Foods, frozen, about £3 per meal. She also enjoyed Parsley Foods. Trial and error I think, she prefers the Wiltshire.

Blossoming Sun 24-Jul-22 11:22:33

They look very similar to the Morrisons frozen ready meals such as smoky bean bowl, but the Morrisons meals are only £1.50. The Morrisons meals are delicious, I have them when Mr. B is out as I struggle with cooking. I’ve never tried the Potage ones so can’t compare.

Charleygirl5 Sun 24-Jul-22 11:41:47

I have never heard of Potage so I googled it to see the menu. All main dishes cost £6.75 and that is without adding vegetables, rice or potatoes, each separate dish was £3.50. These were all single portions.

I am aware I am Scottish but I find those prices mind-boggling. I would try out most supermarket frozen dishes first. I love macaroni cheese and it is usually very cheap anywhere whereas with Potage it was £6.75.

Good luck.

MawtheMerrier Sun 24-Jul-22 11:52:30

I think Cook! comes in at a lot less than that and of all the ready meals on the market, these taste to me the most like home made.

ixion Sun 24-Jul-22 11:56:36

these taste to me the most like home made.

Not sure that this is necessarily a recommendation to me, Maw?

Shrub Sun 24-Jul-22 11:59:21

I agree about Cook meals, they are very good. I believe they deliver but I can buy them in my local farm shop and some Co-ops have them too.

MawtheMerrier Sun 24-Jul-22 12:23:02

ixion

^these taste to me the most like home made.^

Not sure that this is necessarily a recommendation to me, Maw?

???????

Floradora9 Sun 24-Jul-22 21:54:13

I thought of buying these as a treat so I would never consider Wiltshire Farm or other low cost meals . When You think of what you can pay for a meal out I thought the cost was not bad . I have tried other brands and not found them much good and Cook meals are not available here sady.

annsixty Sun 24-Jul-22 22:24:35

When my GD went away for a week recently I ordered a supply of Cook meals in case I didn’t want to bother cooking.
I have bought them in the garden centre before and found them ok.
I have to say I was mostly quite disappointed in my choices.
I found them over seasoned and very rich in flavour.
Perhaps my taste has changed but I won’t be buying them again.

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-Jul-22 00:17:32

MawtheMerrier

I think Cook! comes in at a lot less than that and of all the ready meals on the market, these taste to me the most like home made.

I agree.
Probably because they cook in small batches.

Re M&S, they are delivered by Ocado - might be worth a look?

grannydarkhair Mon 25-Jul-22 00:25:51

Is there not a butcher’s shop near you that does made-up meals? A chum used to get them for her Dad, she’d tried various places, but the butchers were by far the tastiest and usually cheaper than any to be found online.

foxie48 Mon 25-Jul-22 08:26:28

Our new supermarket sells "Cook" and having tried a couple, I thought they were excellent. I bought the meals for two and they were generous portions with plenty of meat. I've also bought the puds for OH and he enjoyed them. I've bought some more for the freezer so we can have an easy meal quickly. I really rate them and tbh would consider myself a bit fussy with food.

Marmight Mon 25-Jul-22 09:00:30

I’ve not heard of Potage. Must Google.
For a treat during lockdown DD in Australia ordered a delivery of ready made food for me. She found Wiltshire Foods on line, kind of appropriate, as I live in Wiltshire! She thought it was an upmarket food delivery service. A lovely thought on her part but as I ‘tucked’ in I had visions of my late aunt’s meals on wheels. Small portion of well done meat in gravy with 3 overdone veg. We all, including her, had a laugh at her choice. Next delivery was a delicious afternoon tea from Rick Stein ??. Given the choice of ready made meals and having used Cook a few times (their portions have started to shrivel) I think I’d stick with M&S or Charlie Bigham who is very expensive so I only buy his with the reduced yellow label ?. Sounds as though I never cook. I do but for days when I can’t be bothered cooking for one, dipping into the freezer is the way to go.

Floradora9 Mon 25-Jul-22 21:24:08

NotSpaghetti

MawtheMerrier

I agree.
Probably because they cook in small batches.

Re M&S, they are delivered by Ocado - might be worth a look?

Sadly they do not deliver in my area , good idea though .