Gransnet forums

Food

Has anyone ever tried…

(10 Posts)
Beechnut Wed 10-Aug-22 12:56:28

Banana Blossom?

I bought a tin out of curiosity and decided to have them for lunch. They give a recipe to follow which involves coating them in batter, serving with chips and peas. On opening the tin I don’t fancy the look of them much so am not going to bother with making batter and have just tossed them in some oil and shoved them in the oven with the chips. I might just having a chip butty ?

Elizabeth27 Wed 10-Aug-22 13:40:02

I had to look it up, it states that it is tasteless and has the texture of fish. I don't think it is for me but sounds good for vegans.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Aug-22 13:59:49

Yes I have tried them and they went in the bin and I eat most things they were rank tasteless and not a pleasant texture

nightowl Wed 10-Aug-22 14:00:45

I’ve had battered banana blossom and chips in a restaurant. It was amazing. So much like fish that my daughter (vegan) asked the waiter several times if he was sure it wasn’t fish. It’s well worth trying, whether or not you’re vegan, although I can imagine some vegans wouldn’t want to eat anything with a taste and texture so much like the real thing.

nightowl Wed 10-Aug-22 14:02:15

Oops crossed posts BlueBelle! Obviously very different experiences grin

BlueBelle Wed 10-Aug-22 14:04:01

Well I would nt mind eating something that mimicked fish at all but that didn’t taste anything like fish maybe having it cooked by a proper chef made the difference but the stuff I had was horrible and I usually eat anything

Beechnut Wed 10-Aug-22 15:25:40

Me too Bluebell I’ll try most things. I thought it was tasteless but I did eat it. I thought it looked like tuna on opening the tin, but give me a proper piece of fish any day.

DanniRae Wed 10-Aug-22 20:00:34

Your not selling it to me ladies! grin

Mandrake Wed 10-Aug-22 23:46:51

I have had a jar in the pantry for the past year. I just haven't known what to do with it. I must look up a recipe and try it.

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 00:04:10

This sounds like the last tin at the very back of the cupboard!

Might it be the case that the tinned version is very different from fresh? I've never heard of banana blossom and have no idea what other formats, if any, it comes in.