Gransnet forums

Food

Brisket?

(22 Posts)
Kamiso Sat 19-Nov-22 00:22:45

Our local Lidl had brisket on offer. I think it’s a cheaper cut of beef that needs slow cooking but not 100% sure. Is it very fatty?

Kamiso Sat 19-Nov-22 00:24:54

Should be HAS brisket on offer soon!

Georgesgran Sat 19-Nov-22 01:58:01

Brisket is from the lower breast of the beast. It’s a muscular area that works hard, so needs long, slow cooking - usually in a liquid - to make it tender.

Georgesgran Sat 19-Nov-22 02:03:18

Forgot to add that it’s brisket that makes the classic pot roast. Gordon Ramsay’s recipe takes 3-4 hours (after prep) to cook.

annsixty Sat 19-Nov-22 04:52:11

Brisket is delicious and ideal for cooking in a slow cooker.
It is very tender and the gravy is lovely.
My mother used to cook it then press it in a basin with a weight on top and it was eaten cold but I prefer it hot as a pot roast.
It is no longer as cheap as it used to be.

BigBertha1 Sat 19-Nov-22 07:23:43

Silverside is a similar cut I think. I sometimes lot roast that.

Greyduster Sat 19-Nov-22 07:42:36

I second annsixty - love brisket, done in the slow cooker on a bed of vegetables with stock and red wine. And yes, there is no such thing as a cheap cut of beef anymore. Even short ribs, which the butcher almost used to give away - are costly now, but they really are worth the effort.

Shelflife Sat 19-Nov-22 07:51:11

I too remember my Mum cooking brisket then placing it in a bowl , plate on top then putting weights on to press it. We always ate it cold, sliced and served with salad and new potatoes.

Katie59 Sat 19-Nov-22 11:18:54

It’s a pot roast joint 3-4 hours is about right, but if you have a pressure cooker much less, very good flavor and you can cut any excess fat off when you prepare it.

Floradora9 Sat 19-Nov-22 21:41:04

Not the best tasting meat .

Ziplok Sat 19-Nov-22 21:45:31

Brisket requires long slow cooking as already said, but is delicious if done that way. Can’t agree that it’s not the best tasting meat - it really depends upon how it’s cooked.

Blossoming Sat 19-Nov-22 21:48:00

Slow cooked brisket with stovies is delicious.

Nannarose Sat 19-Nov-22 21:48:14

I think it very tasty. I pot roast it usually, and use up left-overs in chilli.
I also use it to make our xmas spiced beef - though these days i vac pack rather than press it.

paddyann54 Sat 19-Nov-22 22:51:28

I braise it on a bed of veg carrots onions celery ,sometimes leeks with enough stock to go halfway up the meat and turn it often until its done .2 -2 1/2 hours would usually be around enough .Depends on the size of joint

silverlining48 Sat 19-Nov-22 23:04:26

Always needed to be frugal so if there was a special meal always got brisket which was far cheaper than any other type of beef ( apart from minced). Braised first to seal, then cooked slowly in stock as has already been said. Delicious.
Also remember shoulder of lamb was a cheap cut but more fatty. Then a gammon bone with a decent amount if gammon left made a rather good lentil stew.

Mogsmaw Sat 19-Nov-22 23:39:13

Im off to Lidl! We love brisket. Marinaded in wine and vinegar for a couple of days then braised in the marinade and the gravy thickened with ginger biscuits. Sauerbraten, lovely.

welbeck Sat 19-Nov-22 23:43:19

isn't it an american term ?

Nannytopsy Sun 20-Nov-22 00:01:45

No not American - we ate it at home regularly. It used to contain more fat but breeding lean animals has reduced it. It tastes delicious but it is different to sirloin!

paddyann54 Sun 20-Nov-22 07:18:57

I saw salmon cut in the bitchers this week and I hadn't seen it for a long time ,not a speck of fat on it so I'm not convinced the flavour would be any good .I'll check it out and see how it works even for sandwiches as it was very reasonably priced.

Greyduster Sun 20-Nov-22 07:29:22

silverslining, the butchery counter at our supermarket sells gammon hocks. I bought one yesterday, the second I’ve bought recently. They cost little, yield lots of meat and make wonderful soup with veg, lentils and pearl barley. A favourite since childhood.

Katie59 Sun 20-Nov-22 07:47:39

Nannytopsy

No not American - we ate it at home regularly. It used to contain more fat but breeding lean animals has reduced it. It tastes delicious but it is different to sirloin!

More likely brisket is often minced for burgers like the other low value beef cut.

Oldnproud Sun 20-Nov-22 08:16:22

It's my mum's favourite cut of beef, roasted slowly in the oven.

She's tried cooking it in the slow cooker a couple of times but says that the flavour wasn't as good, and ,strangely, the texture was 'dry'.