Gransnet forums

Food

Soup maker thoughts please

(104 Posts)
Noola Fri 30-Dec-22 15:47:59

I often find I have too many vegetables. I don't want to waste them though.

Do you have experience of a soup maker?

I live alone and so am wondering if it would be good to use one, but fear it may be just another gadget.

I'd be grateful for advice and thoughts, please.
Thanks.

Blondiescot Fri 30-Dec-22 17:30:05

My husband once made a soup which consisted largely of Brussels Sprouts. The end result was a very unappealing greeny/brown sludge which tasted awful. None of the rest of the family would touch it, but he refused to admit how bad it was and ate the rest himself - let's just say the after-effects smelled even worse than the soup itself!

Elegran Fri 30-Dec-22 17:33:28

Several people who have never tried a soup maker are saying they wouldn't use one. Frankly, I don't see that as very helpful - there are three alternatives, tried one and love it, tried one and couldn't get on with it, or haven't tried one so have no opinion one way or the other.

I am on the love-it side. It takes up the same amount of space on the worktop as an upright kettle .You can make a smooth soup in 21 minutes, using one utensil, or a chunky soup in 28 minutes. My Morphy Richards makes 6 servings at a time. I eat one, keep one in the fridge for next day, and fill two containers with two servings in each for the freezer. There is usually a choice of three of four varieties in there at any time.

The jug and beaters are best washed immediately (but not submerged in water) before the residue has a chance to dry on. That can be a pain, but it is worth it.

Inciidentally, Marigold also make a vegetable stock cube which isn't vegan - I don't know what the difference is, but just saying.

Blossoming Fri 30-Dec-22 17:38:46

I have one but only used it a few times. I just didn’t get on with it.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Dec-22 17:40:46

Blondiescot

My husband once made a soup which consisted largely of Brussels Sprouts. The end result was a very unappealing greeny/brown sludge which tasted awful. None of the rest of the family would touch it, but he refused to admit how bad it was and ate the rest himself - let's just say the after-effects smelled even worse than the soup itself!

You need cider-based stock wink

I was surprised that it was so good

3dognight Fri 30-Dec-22 17:41:33

I don’t use a soup maker but have always made soups of all kinds in a big sauce pan on the hob. A stick blender can provide smooth or chunky soup, depending on how long / how much you blend. I like to take half the soup and blend well then stir it back in with the unblended, it makes it thick, tasty and chunky!

Low salt stock cubes are available, or just use a quarter of a stock cube at a time , crumble in stir and taste, add another quarter till it tastes just right.

Enjoy your soup making, delicious and nutritious, and so many flavours!

Smileless2012 Fri 30-Dec-22 17:44:42

That's what I do 3dognight. Not all soups require blending but if they do, a stick blender is more than adequate.

25Avalon Fri 30-Dec-22 17:47:57

I had a cheaper Murphy Richards one which I rarely used so I gave it away. If you do get one pay a bit more and get one that chops and cooks and blends. I found by the time I’d sauteed the vegetables it was just as easy to carry on in the same pan and use a stick blender if I wanted it smooth.

Don’t forget you can always freeze it if you make more soup than you need at the time.

MayBee70 Fri 30-Dec-22 18:03:29

I had the large Morphy Richards Soup maker but recently bought their smaller version as I don’t always want to make a lot of soup. I don’t sauté the onions in it anyway as I’ve always cooked a few onions in the microwave and added them to the vegetables and stock. Less chance of it sticking to the bottom. The smaller one is easier to clean, too.

AreWeThereYet Fri 30-Dec-22 18:27:58

I did used to make soup on the hob and use my hand blender, and make larger amounts occasionally in the pressure cooker or slow cooker. But the thing I really like is that fact that if I wander off to do something else I won't end up with a burnt saucepan and soup because I forgot I put it on. For the absent minded like me it's really useful. I like my air fryer for the same reason.

Callistemon I found a new way to use up my Brussels this year - Brussels, leeks, Gruyere and Cheddar cheese baked in the air fryer/oven. Almost like a creamy salad.

nandad Fri 30-Dec-22 18:28:04

I bought one years ago but got rid of it as I found that no matter how many vegetables I used the soup was always very thin and watery. I’ve gone back to using a pressure cooker or the hob.

Aveline Fri 30-Dec-22 18:32:35

I love my soup maker. I use any odd vegetables or whatever is reduced in the supermarket. I have a range of stock pots, types of lentil and scotch broth dried veg to use if required. I also have garlic and ginger to hand and generally try as I go. Sometimes smooth soup and sometimes chunky. It's never the same twice. One of my best ever buys. It's the Morphy Richards one.

Mollygo Fri 30-Dec-22 19:52:21

Love my Salter Soup maker. It cost £20 and I’ve had it for several years. Quick prep and I don’t have to stand over it, which is a real perk for me. Makes 6-8 portions and the soup freezes really well.
Favourites, leek and potato, celery, mushroom and pea and ham. Have used it for random veg, excluding cabbage.

Shinamae Fri 30-Dec-22 19:57:54

Blossoming

Likewise 🤷‍♀️

Ziplok Fri 30-Dec-22 20:01:17

Very happy with mine. Yes, you can make soup in a pan and blend it down with a hand held blender or you can make it in a slow cooker (if you’re not waiting for it) or a pressure cooker if you have one, but the beauty of the soup maker, I find, is that you can throw everything in, add your liquid and let it get on with it whilst you don’t have to stand over it. Add potato to thicken it if you’re making a smooth soup. I’ve even added left over mash.

Chardy Fri 30-Dec-22 20:47:01

I was given my soup maker as a Christmas present several years ago. Undoubtedly it was the best present I have ever been given.
Throw the veg into the soup maker, stock, water, 20 minutes later you have soup. No stirring, no smell, very little washing up.

mumofmadboys Fri 30-Dec-22 20:55:26

My soup maker is one of my very best gadgets. It is marvellous and we use it regularly. Had it over 5 years. I have a Morphy Richards one. Never saute any veg first.

Elegran Fri 30-Dec-22 21:00:13

Ziplok I was about to reply to Nandan that the answer to thin and watery is to include a potato (or two) among your vegetables, but you beat me to it.

Fleurpepper Fri 30-Dec-22 21:06:28

Blossoming

Same here- given it up. It is just so easy to make soup in a large pan and use the hand blender.

MiniMoon Fri 30-Dec-22 23:17:31

DH bought me a Ninja Foodi Blender and Soup Maker for Christmas. I made our first soup in it tonight. Chunky Italian vegetable, there was enough for four. Next time I use it I'll put less stock in it.
This machine will make smoothies, sauces and jams. You can also mix ice cream and sorbets ready to freeze.

MayBee70 Sat 31-Dec-22 00:08:05

nandad

I bought one years ago but got rid of it as I found that no matter how many vegetables I used the soup was always very thin and watery. I’ve gone back to using a pressure cooker or the hob.

The vegetables contain a lot of water so you probably need to reduce the stock. And as others have mentioned I always add a potato. There’s a really good tomato soup recipe on Facebook that uses a pickled onion to give it a great flavour. I need to look it up and try it again.

Grandma2213 Sat 31-Dec-22 03:04:37

I bought a soup maker for my son as he lives alone and has a tendency to rely on takeaways. He loves it. It is easy and quick and he now has a much healthier diet as well as being cheaper. He has also started to experiment and has come up with some quite delicious ideas.
Mind you I still use a large saucepan and a blender as I make a large quantity and freeze it into separate portions.

MrsKen33 Sat 31-Dec-22 04:06:33

I make a lot of soup, but just use a large saucepan. Lentils, a good stock and any vegetables. Easy

Greyduster Sat 31-Dec-22 08:46:31

DD gave me a Cuisinart soup maker that she couldn’t get on with. I tried it a couple of times and I didn’t get on with it either so it’s been in the garage ever since. There are things I’d rather have taking up space in my cupboards. I make soup in the slow cooker or a covered sauté pan and blend it down if it needs it.

Daisymae Sat 31-Dec-22 08:52:12

I have one and use it a lot. Good way to use up veg and it will keep warm once it's done. I usually make a full jug and then reheat the next day. I also make red pepper and tomato soup with a can of chopped tomatoes and small onion. It's delicious. Oh, I always use a dissolved veg. Stock cube instead of plain water

Daisymae Sat 31-Dec-22 08:53:42

And I bought my gd one for Xmas as she's at university 😁