Gransnet forums

Food

Air Fryer: Help and guidance, please

(22 Posts)
Noola Tue 10-Jan-23 14:14:14

I have bought an air fryer and used it a little. However the instruction book that came with it doesn’t give much guidance.

So I hope you don’t mind if I ask for help here. I simply don’t know how long to put things in for and what temperature and indeed what I can put in! I live alone and so I’m mainly thinking of meals for myself.

So, to begin with can I ask if it’s possible to put frozen pies in the air fryer and say frozen similar items like sausage rolls And vegetarian slices from frozen.

Many thanks. Advice very welcome with suggestions.

Franbern Tue 10-Jan-23 14:24:58

If you would normally put those frozen items in your oven then do so in Airfryer. reduce heat a little and time somewhat Experement is best way.

Aldom Tue 10-Jan-23 14:25:05

Hello, yes frozen foods can be cooked in the air frier. Just read the cooking instructions on the packaging, then reduce the cooking time by a few minutes. Same with the temperature, just reduce by several degrees. Check food is cooked through. If not, reset time and temperature and cook for a few more minutes.
It's the same for fresh food. I love my airfrier and cook delicious meals in it. You can wrap salmon in foil and it is moist when cooked. I would do that at 180 for about 15 minutes.
Food can be cooked in suitable dishes too. Anything that's safe for the oven is safe for the airfrier. Hope this will help you. smile

MiniMoon Tue 10-Jan-23 14:34:53

Here is a guide you might find helpful.

Blondiescot Tue 10-Jan-23 14:41:35

Pretty much anything you can cook in a conventional oven, you should be able to cook in the air fryer. The general rule of thumb is to reduce the temperature by 10C and the cooking time by around 20%. That can vary depending on which make and model you have though.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Jan-23 14:42:15

My son has just bought one and I’m waiting to see how he gets on with it before getting one myself. Are they easy to clean?

NanaDH Tue 10-Jan-23 14:52:48

Just brought an air fryer love the guide MiniMoon thanks for sharing. I was wondering where to get that kind of information. I am interested in layering foods what do any of you use foil or paper cases or grease proof? Do flavours transfer?

Theexwife Tue 10-Jan-23 15:44:54

It is the best kitchen item I have had. I live alone and cooking one item in a large conventional oven seemed a waste of power so I rarely did.

You have to think of an air fryer as a small more powerful oven, I don't think the name fryer is appropriate.

AreWeThereYet Tue 10-Jan-23 16:14:21

I do the same as Blondiescot as a rule. But check a few minutes before the end as all the fryers will cook differently depending on size and heating elements.

It's worth noting though - if you are cooking something that only takes about 10 minutes preheat the air fryer. It takes a couple of minutes to heat up to temperature, which isn't noticeable over a longer period but over a very short period means that you'll be cooking for a couple of minutes at a low temperature.

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Jan-23 16:23:15

Maybee all are non-stick but with some the non-stick stops working sooner than others. I have started to use inserts which I buy on Amazon and that cuts down the cleaning although on the whole it is very easy. I pop my bits in the dishwasher.

I bought a small insert with a solid base so at Christmas I was able to cook duck legs with gravy but be careful because the gravy may quickly dry up.

If it says on the package eg freeze in the oven at x degrees for x time, I do not defrost but I do watch the timing very carefully.

Kamiso Tue 10-Jan-23 16:25:58

Plenty of forums dedicated to air fryers though some get quite argumentative at times.

My OH has taken it over which surprised me. He normally takes months to warm to gadgets. We’ve only had the conventional oven on once since we got it.

midgey Tue 10-Jan-23 16:57:06

Be careful with grease proof paper. The action of the heating will whizz it around!

aggie Tue 10-Jan-23 17:03:30

I baked apple crumble , the flour wasn’t quite amalgamated with the butter , and ended up flying all over the place , it turned out really delicious, with a crispier that usual topping ! I now use less flour !
Scones are a success , I sit them on greaseproof paper ,

Pittcity Tue 10-Jan-23 17:08:29

Mine is easy to use as I just treat it as a small oven.
The basket is easy to clean as it's non stick. It can also go in the dishwasher.
I use this guide to work out temperature and time to put things in for.

Kate1949 Tue 10-Jan-23 18:41:10

It depends on the air fryer. We have a Ninja which as well as being a fryer, has a pressure cooker for boiling potatoes, veg, boiled eggs etc.

Sallywally1 Mon 30-Jan-23 05:12:26

I mostly use my for thick cut chips which I spray very lightly with oil. Recently I cooked two 8 ozs jacket potatoes and they were really nice. You need to smear some oil and salt round them first for a crispy finish. They did take around 50 minutes to cook, so around the same as a conventional oven, but I think they use less electricity? I need to experiment too. There is more to life than potatoes!

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 05:22:27

Yes, Sally - there’s cheese! 🧀

rac47 Mon 06-Feb-23 13:37:14

Anyone here familiar with the 12 litre Lakeland Air fryer oven with rotisserie? Looking to buy one, but not sure which make and model to go for! Any advice appreciated!

Oldbat1 Mon 06-Feb-23 13:44:20

rac47 glad you asked that as DH is keen to purchase a L******d one due to 3yr guarantees.

Greyduster Mon 06-Feb-23 13:59:02

I don’t have a Lakeland one, but have a Tower air fryer oven with a rotisserie (which has been used once to get the novelty value out of the way for my gadget mad son!). I can’t say for certain but I think a drawer air fryer probably crisps food better. However, I wouldn’t be without mine. I like the fact that it has shelves and can cope with different dishes at the same time. I have also made scones and carrot cake in it. Baked potatoes are very quick if you give them a few minutes in the microwave first. Chips are a faff but very nice. Great for fish, and things like chops and steak do not dry out.

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Feb-23 14:14:21

I have just read all of the reviews specifically for the 12 litre Lakeland and I personally would not buy it yet until some of the design faults have been corrected. You want trays to slide in and handles to fit perfectly the first time as it is very hot food one is dealing with.

BlueBelle Mon 06-Feb-23 14:46:25

Noola are you a Facebook user There’s a very good group called ‘Airfryers receipes for beginnings’ I ve just joined it as I had one for Christmas and so far only done frozen things in it not an actual receipt so I m a learner too
I haven’t used my oven since I had it