Gransnet forums

Food

Food banks in local areas

(17 Posts)
Judy54 Sat 11-Feb-23 16:48:18

The food bank at our local church does not need referrals and is open to everyone. It is well used and we can only hope that most of the people using it are in need. We cannot tell who is genuine and who is not but hope that it is of help to our local community.

Teacheranne Sat 11-Feb-23 16:09:46

I donate regularly to two food banks, one is for people who are referred but the other is much smaller and a referral is not needed. I am aware that some people might abuse food banks but I still support them as I hope that most users are in real need.

I am physically unable to go round a supermarket so shop online and get my groceries delivered. I pop a few extra items into my basket each week and it’s surprising how quickly I fill up a bag which I then take to the food bank. I am grateful that I have enough funds to feed myself, heat my house and enjoy my life. I have had hard times in the past when I needed help from my parents and want to help others now who are struggling.

AreWeThereYet Sat 11-Feb-23 12:59:53

Our village food bank doesn't need referrals, people just come and help themselves. No questions.

Last Saturday morning we had a donation from the nearby allotment - they regularly donate surplus veg and fruit. Saturday afternoon a huge Porsche 4x4 drew up and a woman got out, explaining to us she had unexpected visitors arriving for lunch the next day and took off with arms full of the veg. My friend later commented 'She lives almost opposite the Co-op'.

Blondiescot Sat 11-Feb-23 12:44:21

With anything like this, there's always a risk that it will be abused, but I'm sure the 'abusers' are in a very small minority. And, as someone else further up the thread rightly pointed out, if it means one less child going hungry, then most people won't mind.

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Feb-23 12:28:34

Where I live only tinned and packaged food such as pasta are accepted. No fresh food at all. I supply items such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo and deodorant. I am sure all will be received.

Grantanow Sat 11-Feb-23 12:15:02

We wouldn't need food banks if the Tories cared about ordinary people.

Callistemon21 Sat 11-Feb-23 11:51:55

I'd be wary of Next Door as well.

HousePlantQueen Sat 11-Feb-23 11:48:46

Riverwalk

^Local people on our (Next door) site are complaining that people are travelling from outside the area to get food supplies.^

I'd be very wary of accepting that claim at face value - just seen the scenes from Merseyside where a story about asylum seekers on social media has resulted in the most appalling violence. Riot police on the streets is a sad sight.

If people need food, does it matter how far they've travelled?

Social media is being used as a tool to turn people against each other.

I agree. Most of the people who use the FB I volunteer at are from slightly outside the area, and are nearer to other FB branches, but say they prefer to visit one where they will not ben seen by someone who knows them. Going by the comments above, this is completely understandable.

Redhead56 Sat 11-Feb-23 11:46:45

Thanks for the responses and clarification. I will continue to contribute I hate to think of people going hungry.

growstuff Sat 11-Feb-23 11:43:42

PS. I've never actually costed it, but I suspect I've been getting £30 of food a week for nothing. Nobody has ever asked about my financial circumstances, but I've certainly noticed that I'm spending a lot less on food and I'm very grateful. I have no idea about the personal circumstances of the other users either.

This is supermarket surplus and would be thrown away, if we didn't have it. I was told by an employee that one local Tesco superstore throws away £1.5 million of food a year. Surely it's better that it gets used, no matter what the lifestyle of the people using it.

Aveline Sat 11-Feb-23 11:38:21

Yes. The abusers of such a service are so frustrating (I know one). However, for the sake of the honest ones needing help these places must continue.

growstuff Sat 11-Feb-23 11:38:15

People do need a referral to use a food bank. I would guess people use the one most convenient for them. My understanding is that this is donated food with a reasonable shelf life. People receive enough "emergency supplies" for a few days and can only receive one parcel every few weeks.

However, there are other places, such as the community fridge mentioned by Callistemon. I've been using one for the last few weeks. This is mainly supermarket surplus and there's usually veg, bread, fruit and some meat. The rule is that we're allowed one bag and are repeatedly asked only to take what we can use over the next few days. Everybody is very civilised, waits in queue and we swap recipes. Most people arrive on foot and are locals, but some people come from the surrounding villages. There's free coffee/tea and cake if people want to stay and chat.

There's also Olio, which people can use to give away free stuff, including food.

Sago Sat 11-Feb-23 11:34:30

We donate to a food bank that does not ask for referrals.
It is out on an industrial estate away from any residential areas so it takes some getting to!
They get very few abusers.

We have one nearby that is also without referral and the queues are massive!
I sense having seen two lads in the queue once with filter cigarettes and energy drinks that it’s abused!

My cousin runs a number of food pantries in another county and realised the same people were doing the rounds and getting £35 worth of food for £5 so they are now having to implement an I.D system.

These facilities are abused but as I said in a previous thread if our donation means a child goes to bed with a full tummy then I will continue to contribute.

JaneJudge Sat 11-Feb-23 11:28:20

They don't let people from out of area use them and signpost them to their own local services.

Church led food banks often need a referral Callistemon but community based ones don't necessarily but will encourage people to be transparent about their financial difficulties so they can help with advice on how to ease financial pressures. Something recently that has come to light is that people were not being referred by their GPs for continence services, for example.

Riverwalk Sat 11-Feb-23 11:24:44

Local people on our (Next door) site are complaining that people are travelling from outside the area to get food supplies.

I'd be very wary of accepting that claim at face value - just seen the scenes from Merseyside where a story about asylum seekers on social media has resulted in the most appalling violence. Riot police on the streets is a sad sight.

If people need food, does it matter how far they've travelled?

Social media is being used as a tool to turn people against each other.

Callistemon21 Sat 11-Feb-23 11:07:19

I thought you had to have a referral from your GP or from Social Services before you can use a Food Bank.
That may have changed.

We have a Community Fridge here, just on date fresh food is collected from supermarkets, people can donate a glut of fruit, vegetables etc, and anyone can go. There is often a long queue there on days it is open but, of course, they'd rather give it away than it gets dumped.

Redhead56 Sat 11-Feb-23 11:02:30

I am probably on the wrong thread but my curiosity is getting the better of me.
I do not know the protocol for using a food bank if someone is please enlighten me. I ask because within a mile of where we live there is a food bank. A similar distance away a church is now a food bank. Local people on our (Next door) site are complaining that people are travelling from outside the area to get food supplies.

Young families genuinely struggling to make ends meet who are entitled to use the banks locally are doing without. Surely this can’t be right I contribute a lot to our local food bank and I don’t think it’s fair. Apparently the train station next door to the food bank is very very busy on the days the food bank is open.