Gransnet forums

Food

A meal for later

(74 Posts)
sandye Thu 16-Feb-23 13:34:12

I have a very active social life, DH doesn't have any. I struggle what meal to leave him when I'm out as he is no cook at all and I have to leave just something to 'ping' I find pasta dries out a bit and some meals don't reheat well. Dosn't do pizza or any fish. Any suggestions (for mealssmile ) welcome

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:26:32

blush sorry ginny I shouldn't have laughed

Hetty58 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:20:31

(ginny, no problem, I've reported the pasting accident above)

Would I like somebody to leave food prepared for me - to decide what I'm going to eat? No, I certainly would not. I'm an adult, after all. What if (as is likely) I don't fancy said food? Do I give it to the dog/cat/birds, order a nice takeaway - then hide the (evidence) wrappers in the bin?

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:17:18

😁 what happened there, ginny!

Just as de-cluttering, partner may have a use for an item
Don't mention decluttering .....

ginny Sat 18-Feb-23 12:07:48

Norah says …

My husband cooks very well, exceedingly well, but he won't use food that he has no idea my intentions for - he doesn't want to ruin a plan.

I just let DH know if there is food that is destined for other meals. I make lots of cakes for other people and if they are left on the side , I always put a Hands Off notice on themsmile

Username

Comment

PostPreview

ADVERTISEMENT

Gransnet
Privacy settings
Desktop site

Active

Watching

Add post

I'm on

Search

Norah Sat 18-Feb-23 11:46:33

Callistemon21

It's not so much lifestyle lectures, it's surprise that they cannot even put together a basic meal.
It's not rocket science (although it is chemistry!)

What would happen if they were suddenly left on their own?
Or if the partner became ill and he needed to cook?

However, every family divides tasks differently.

My husband cooks very well, exceedingly well, but he won't use food that he has no idea my intentions for - he doesn't want to ruin a plan.

Likewise, I won't go in his work buildings and rummage around taking items that he may have a use for.

Just as de-cluttering, partner may have a use for an item.

Galaxy Sat 18-Feb-23 11:22:46

No to telling people what they can post.
If you post something you may not like the advice you receive. The best advice and the kindest I was ever given was not something I wanted to hear.

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Feb-23 11:19:58

It's not so much lifestyle lectures, it's surprise that they cannot even put together a basic meal.
It's not rocket science (although it is chemistry!)

What would happen if they were suddenly left on their own?
Or if the partner became ill and he needed to cook?

Norah Sat 18-Feb-23 10:49:46

paddyann54

I cook ,I enjoy it .OH doesn't cook he does lots of other stuff though that I dont enjoy.I call it teamwork .
Our freezers always have containers of home made soups ,portions of lasagne,chilli .chicken in sauces ,individual puddings and cakes .
It has worked for us for almost 48 years of marriage and we're happy with it .OP ignore the folk whosay you're infantalising your OH ,how you run yor life is your business ,you only asked for new ideas of what to leave him not a lecture on your life style

Indeed. No to lifestyle lectures.

sodapop Sat 18-Feb-23 07:26:14

My husband always leaves me something for lunch if he is going out, its kind and what he does. We all deal with daily living on different ways, I think sandye is probably sorry she mentioned it now.

Galaxy Sat 18-Feb-23 07:23:15

Yes it's the same as a woman not knowing how to deal with finances, it leaves the person concerned extremely vulnerable.

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Feb-23 22:46:55

I think it's more worrying that sandeye's DH has no social life at all.

M0nica Fri 17-Feb-23 22:22:45

paddyann54 I suspect the OP's DH wouldn't be able to find his way to the freezer and be able to find anything he likes and reheat it. That is the problem.

Wyllow3 Fri 17-Feb-23 22:16:33

Team work is great as long as you are a team, but its worth thinking of basic skills should you find yourself alone.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Feb-23 22:01:22

M0nica and mumsky are quite right. Anyone can learn to cook a simple meal - or enjoy a salad. It's not somebody else's duty to provide it for them.

paddyann54 Fri 17-Feb-23 21:53:19

I cook ,I enjoy it .OH doesn't cook he does lots of other stuff though that I dont enjoy.I call it teamwork .
Our freezers always have containers of home made soups ,portions of lasagne,chilli .chicken in sauces ,individual puddings and cakes .
It has worked for us for almost 48 years of marriage and we're happy with it .OP ignore the folk whosay you're infantalising your OH ,how you run yor life is your business ,you only asked for new ideas of what to leave him not a lecture on your life style

HettyBetty Fri 17-Feb-23 21:09:02

My husband isn't a good cook but can manage a couple of meals. The important thing is that he would never expect me to leave him food if I was going to be out. He will make sandwiches, do a jacket potato or boil an egg.

M0nica Fri 17-Feb-23 20:42:29

25Avalon I am not criticising, just admitting my ignorance.

25Avalon Fri 17-Feb-23 20:23:30

I’m afraid I’m one of them M0nica but not by personal choice. But you can’t live in warfare the whole time.

M0nica Fri 17-Feb-23 20:16:16

The joy of GN is finding how different people's lives are. I never realised how many marriages are still based on the woman providing all domestic services to their DH/partner until I read threads like this.

Galaxy Fri 17-Feb-23 18:18:42

I must have something missing, I would never dream of feeling guilty if I went out and DH was at home. Generally he is delighted when that happens grin

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 18:02:00

Or he could go out too. If he decides, if fit and healthy, not to have much of a social life that’s his decision and his problem. Or he could learn how to fix a simple meal for himself instead of relying on his wife.

25Avalon Fri 17-Feb-23 17:18:32

Isn’t there a guilt factor here? Op feels guilty about going out and enjoying a social life whilst dh is left at home., so leave him a meal and go off with no worries. There are loads of ready meals out there. I would look at those.

NotAGran55 Fri 17-Feb-23 15:06:42

I’m amazed by this thread to be honest. Not only is the OP babying her husband she is having to decide what he might want to eat!
Doesn’t he have an opinion at least, even if he’s not prepared to cater for himself ?

Oreo Fri 17-Feb-23 15:04:29

Don’t think you can generalise on men and their ‘accomplishments’ tho.
DP, for instance can’t cook and has no interest in it, but is marvellous in lots of other areas, such as DIY, gardening and carpentry.I have no real interest in those things so am pleased that he can do it. I enjoy cooking and baking when I have time to do it.
In the past, DH could cook reasonably well but lacked in other areas sadly.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 14:55:42

I’m so glad that my husband is an accomplished cook. I couldn’t be doing with a helpless man who expected to be fed. I had one once, many years ago. Not an experience I’d care to repeat.