Gransnet forums

Food

Turnip, anyone? šŸ˜‹

(99 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 24-Feb-23 12:39:14

Hello smile
Health Minister Therese Coffey reckons that we should ā€˜cherishā€™ the doughty turnip.
Have you ever done anything interesting with one?
As an aside, Iā€™ve just been looking into what vegetables are native here in the UK.
Itā€™s hardly anything. Iā€™m amazed we survived.
It made me think of Terry Jonesā€™ filth-loving peasant in The Holy Grail

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Feb-23 11:12:11

Claretjan

Here in Scotland what I know as Swede is called turnip. It's one of the few vegetables I can't stand. The small white turnip is ok chopped up with carrot, with butter added!

It's the same in the West Counttry.
I asked for a swede in the market and was told "it's not a swede, it's a turnip, maid".

I thought it was a neep in Scotland!

Swedes are lovely, you can't have a Lancashire hotpot without swede. And it's good mashed with onion and carrot.

I don't like turnips, they're cattle food.

Patsy70 Sat 25-Feb-23 11:12:04

Roasted baby turnips, seasoned and with herbs & garlic are really tasty. Can be cooked in an air fryer.

Farzanah Sat 25-Feb-23 11:05:39

I thought swedes were mostly grown for cattle feed.
I wonder if Ms Coffey sits down to a meal of turnips often or if it just advice for the serfs?
The wealthy in this country have never eaten seasonally, and certainly didnā€™t survive on turnips. If you go round big country houses just take a look of what remains of their ā€œpineapple hot housesā€ and glasshouses, served by huge heatings systems.

choughdancer Sat 25-Feb-23 10:44:50

Add a bit of nutmeg as well.

Yammy Sat 25-Feb-23 10:26:17

Claretjan

Here in Scotland what I know as Swede is called turnip. It's one of the few vegetables I can't stand. The small white turnip is ok chopped up with carrot, with butter added!

Swedes or{snaggers} are Turnips in Cumbria as well. You eat turnip the cattle eat swede in that part of the world.
It's alright in a casserole or mashed with potatoes with plenty of butter and seasoning.confused

choughdancer Sat 25-Feb-23 10:20:29

In Cornwall the vegetable other places call swede are called turnips. They are traditional in pasties and are also carved at Kalan Gwav (Allantide, the Cornish equivalent of Halloween) into Jack 'o Lanterns.
I love them and am going to try Daddima's way of cooking them!

Maggiemaybe Sat 25-Feb-23 10:12:49

FannyCornforth

There are now reports of a turnip shortage šŸ™„
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/supermarkets-turnips-food-shortages-rations-b2288919.html?amp

Not in our allotment there isnā€™t. I think itā€™s all thatā€™s in there now the leeks have gone. This thread might have inspired me to try making soup with them. Especially seeing as I discovered three forgotten tins of coconut milk at the back of a kitchen cupboard this week (there must have been a sale on). hmm

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Feb-23 10:08:50

angry Bloody Tories!
Before you know it, that b*** Johnson will be sneaking around the nationā€™s allotments šŸ¤¬

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Feb-23 09:56:06

Gingster, as Fanny says Thereā€™s nothing worse than your local MP standing about unwarranted in your garden... unless she is moving about, pinching the turnips! grin

grannyrebel7 Sat 25-Feb-23 09:46:03

I'm off to do the supermarket shop this afternoon. Reckon I'm gonna get any tomatoes? Don't think I could rely on British fruit and veg any longer. Give me something that has been warmed in the Mediterranean sun any day. Turnips? Not sure I've ever had one. Swede is nice but it's a pain to chop and peel.

Riverwalk Sat 25-Feb-23 09:37:36

Gingster

Therese Coffey is our MP. For coastal Suffolk. Weā€™ve met her a few times (sheā€™s even stood in our garden) . Useless doesnā€™t even describe her. ,!

Very early yesterday morning on the radio someone who was apparently once known as 'the turnip king' in Suffolk - he said he gave up six months ago as it was uneconomical due to costs and lack of labour.

I wonder what Coffey has to say about that.

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Feb-23 09:27:42

NotSpaghetti

*Fanny * you are right. All over the news now!

It could only happen in this country!
Panic buying is becoming a kind of national sport!
Any mention of anything at all (even by a substandard, garden bothering MP) and it will go flying off the shelves.
Turnips. I ask you

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Feb-23 09:21:34

Gingster

Therese Coffey is our MP. For coastal Suffolk. Weā€™ve met her a few times (sheā€™s even stood in our garden) . Useless doesnā€™t even describe her. ,!

Gingster Thereā€™s nothing worse than your local MP standing about unwarranted in your garden.
Iā€™ve had to throw a bucket of cold water over Margaret Beckett on more than one occasion hmm

Gingster Sat 25-Feb-23 09:04:48

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Feb-23 08:51:31

Fanny you are right. All over the news now!

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Feb-23 08:49:29

AGAA4

Turnips are small and easier to cut. Swedes are large and very hard to cut.
My Dad used to grow lots of veg in the garden post war. Cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, sprouts, peas and beans. Oh and turnips I think.

Exactly AGAA4.

ParlorGames Sat 25-Feb-23 08:01:07

Blossoming

Daddima

Alioop

I hate cutting up turnip, it's like getting through a brick and my hands ache. I just buy the bags now that are already chopped up for you. Turnip takes me back to Halloween, when I was a child, when we carved them, not pumpkins like kids do now. It took days to dig it out with screwdrivers, hammers, anything we sneakily borrowed from my dad's shed.

Just put the whole neep into the microwave for about 30 minutes, turn it over and cook for another 20. Cut off the top, scoop out the flesh, and mix it with butter and black pepper.
Viola- bashed neep!

Thanks for this tip Daddima, marvellous for those of us with little manual dexterity.

Thanks Daddima, I think you have saved my fingers! That sounds delicious too.

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Feb-23 06:01:43

There are now reports of a turnip shortage šŸ™„
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/supermarkets-turnips-food-shortages-rations-b2288919.html?amp

Mamie Sat 25-Feb-23 05:58:05

DH had an email from a seed supplier in the UK last night with a special offer on turnip seeds saying "now is the time to buy". šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Obviously we can't because of Brexit, but love their use of a marketing opportunity!

lixy Fri 24-Feb-23 22:14:38

Daddima, that's brilliant!
I use the microwave to cook potatoes and beetroot but hadn't given swede a thought. I guess it would work for celariac too.

sodapop Fri 24-Feb-23 22:05:51

Me too Oreo love it. Also bubble & squeak with potato, swede and carrot. Rumbling tum now .

Oreo Fri 24-Feb-23 21:09:45

Parsley3

Neeps (swedes) and carrots mashed together and seasoned with salt and pepper is a favourite of mine.

SLURP!
I could just eat a plateful right this minutešŸ˜

BlueBalou Fri 24-Feb-23 19:16:58

I love swede, loathe turnips.

Blossoming Fri 24-Feb-23 19:10:54

Daddima

Alioop

I hate cutting up turnip, it's like getting through a brick and my hands ache. I just buy the bags now that are already chopped up for you. Turnip takes me back to Halloween, when I was a child, when we carved them, not pumpkins like kids do now. It took days to dig it out with screwdrivers, hammers, anything we sneakily borrowed from my dad's shed.

Just put the whole neep into the microwave for about 30 minutes, turn it over and cook for another 20. Cut off the top, scoop out the flesh, and mix it with butter and black pepper.
Viola- bashed neep!

Thanks for this tip Daddima, marvellous for those of us with little manual dexterity.

Mamie Fri 24-Feb-23 19:10:26

We grow cima di rapa which are turnip leaves and utterly delicious. We also like the tiny turnips / navets that we get here in France.