Gransnet forums

Food

Are supermarkets controlling what we eat?

(151 Posts)
Tizliz Sat 25-Feb-23 09:56:53

So many food producers are stopping growing foods that the supermarkets don’t pay them enough for - read about apples and turnips this morning - that I feel my choice of food is in their hands. I am happy to pay for traditional English apples but can’t find any to buy. I would pay more for my milk, it is ridiculously cheap, to keep farmers in business. I am sure that we will end up importing more and more food as our farms lie idle.

It is getting stupid, I live in Scotland but the beef in the supermarket here is Irish. I have no choice but the supermarket, only a Spar in the village I live in. Tesco rules 😢😢

Tizliz Tue 28-Feb-23 14:34:26

Good point Seadragon. Tesco butter looks like Kerrygold, there are lots of other examples and I also think they push their own brands in the choice you get on internet shopping. I think a lot of people don’t realise how little choice there is when you have your groceries delivered.

seadragon Tue 28-Feb-23 14:11:43

I've scanned through as many of the responses here as I can but can see no mention of another way I've seen that our largest supermarket is controlling what we eat. I first noticed when the Excellent Scottish Borders' rapeseed oil green design for their bottles was emulated by the supermarket. DH does the food shopping and does not read labels like a I do - throw back from the 70's - and kept buying the supermarket version by mistake. Scottish Borders now have a red design which is a less congruent with their message. Since then I have noticed other 'take overs' of a similar nature - in particular tomato sauce in a bottle that is almost identical to the one for the famous brand but I noticed the inferior taste for both products first before looking at the labels...... There have been a growing number of such 'take overs' since. I can't remember the most recent but it involved several different variations of a product with the supermarket label on packaging that was indistinguishable from the original..... I know many supermarkets have 'own brand' products but this is a whole other sneaky ballgame....

polnan Tue 28-Feb-23 14:00:15

markets? local shops? what are they, here in Swindon,,, nuff said. the part I live in, has only a small Morrisons shop, hardly a supermarket, but so devoid of decent fresh food,, it is pitiful.. have a car? o.k. travel a few miles,, but even then local markets? local butcher over 10 miles away,, fresh vegetables?? I should be so lucky,, can`t even get British vegetables.

M0nica Tue 28-Feb-23 13:39:15

The fact that a supermarket makes certain items of food available does not mean we have to either buy them or eat them.

Nor should we blame the supermarkets if we see the specific items of food on offer and are tempted to buy them. We are all old enough and ugly enough to have full free will to make decisions on what we eat and when and to walk right past that tempting food, if it would be foolish for us to indulge.

Babs758 Tue 28-Feb-23 12:55:03

I am lucky enough to have a market near me so access to plenty of fruit and veg. I do a fortnightly shop at the supermarket and guess I am influenced so what by the two for one offers ur fish which I will put half in the freezer for another day.

A while ago I gave up processed foods as much as possible and also did a dry Feb so saved quite a bit moneywise. I also lost over a stone. Eating smaller portions helped and I saved money that way too. It is an effort to cook from scratch so I often cook more potatoes or stew than I need and save portions for later . I could not do without my freezer and microwave though.

madeleine45 Tue 28-Feb-23 12:12:16

I still love to shop in the market and support local butchers and green grocers, but when I my back is bad and I am struggling I do use the delivery from tesco, for basic stuff. I mostly cook from scratch, have a few things in the freezer that I have made for days I cant manage to cook and definitely want to choose my own fruit and vegetables as much as possible.If something is not available there is probably something else I can find. So tomatoes and peppers might be in short supply but have just made some coleslaw with cabbage, carrot and celery and a little onion. Goes well with various things and I enjoy the fresh stuff with not too much mayonnaise on it. Jacket potato with tuna and this coleslaw makes a very tasty and economic meal for me today.The media and the supermarkets make as much hullabaloo as possible in the hopes of making something into a drama and getting us to panic buy stuff. If they just put what was available for sale and just let us make our own decisions half this problem would not happen. They want to stir it up, well I have no intention of forking out extra money for things I can do without for a while. We do not have to have everything all the time

Larsonsmum Tue 28-Feb-23 11:41:22

Nobody can control what we eat, but ourselves, and not everything has to be bought from what supermarkets offer.

Grantanow Tue 28-Feb-23 11:38:17

If you want people to use local shops you should campaign for free parking nearby. Too many places see the car as another source of revenue to the detriment of their local shops.

Amalegra Tue 28-Feb-23 11:25:48

It’s not just the supermarkets who dictate what we eat! The latest fads in cookery programmes using (expensive) imported fruit/veg and other items which the supermarkets are encouraged and only too happy to stock, to our own food producers detriment, have some influence. There is also the current trend for ‘healthy’ vegan food (vegetarianism has been around forever, so is a bit old hat!). Often vegan foods are very highly processed, I note, but there are supermarket aisles full of it, limiting our choice yet more, while dictating to us the ‘moral high ground’. Perhaps all these cookery programmes, newspaper and magazine articles bear some of the responsibility too, not to mention the numerous pressure groups who are trying to force their way into the national consciousness

Katie59 Sun 26-Feb-23 18:15:41

MawtheMerrier

^Interestingly, the NFU has tweeted this morning pointing out the supermarkets are also controlling the narrative about the reasons for current shortages, and ignoring the role their own purchasing decisions have had^

So true

I have a friend who does grow for supermarkets, he supplies M&S who have all the top quality and Aldi who have a less demanding specification.
It’s the customers choice, if you want perfect veg all exactly the same size go to M&S, if you’re happy with more variation go Aldi, they are all grown in the same field.

Oreo Sun 26-Feb-23 16:59:26

Katie59

It’s the price we pay for the convenience of supermarkets, you buy different, even cheaper, in local markets or farm shops, most of use don’t want the bother of several different shops,

That’s it Katie59
I like supermarkets, the big ones and also smaller ones too.
I still use farmers markets and independents when I can tho.
I don’t feel supermarkets are controlling me as I buy what I want to.

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Feb-23 16:52:07

Interestingly, the NFU has tweeted this morning pointing out the supermarkets are also controlling the narrative about the reasons for current shortages, and ignoring the role their own purchasing decisions have had

So true

ParlorGames Sun 26-Feb-23 16:34:37

Tizliz, they've been doing it for years!

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 16:32:58

Such a mix of reasons- not just the one. Problem is, if places like Waitrose, Sainsbury's etc, put up prices, but Aldi and Lidl don't, they will go to the wall. There has been a huge switch to those (German?) - that the others are already struggling to keep pace, with Asda and Morrison's, Coop, etc in between.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 16:11:41

Interestingly, the NFU has tweeted this morning pointing out the supermarkets are also controlling the narrative about the reasons for current shortages, and ignoring the role their own purchasing decisions have had

Yes 👏👏👏

Siope Sun 26-Feb-23 15:48:24

It seems to me that there are two key elements to control over what we eat (or, if people prefer, who determines the food options we can choose from): control of supply, and market share of sales.

The ONS collates data on the latter. Supermarkets including Ocado have a 96.3% market share of grocery retail. If you exclude Ocado, the figure is still massive: 94.6%. The 4 largest supermarkets (which now includes Aldi for the first time) alone have 64.9% of the market.

Information on supply has proved trickier, so I’m relying on statistics quoted in 2014 to a DEFRA committee, and a written report by Jay Rayner to a 2017 parliamentary food security commission, which the NFU do not dispute, which claim that supermarkets control 95% of supply by volume.

Interestingly, the NFU has tweeted this morning pointing out the supermarkets are also controlling the narrative about the reasons for current shortages, and ignoring the role their own purchasing decisions have had.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Feb-23 13:09:45

I've noticed though if I pop to morrisons after work it is always bread and cake products that are reduced, so if I had the choice of buying a tray of doughnuts at 58p and a loaf for 28p or buying a cabbage for £1.47, I think I'd buy the tray of doughnuts and loaf

I have no idea what we are discussing anymore

Galaxy Sun 26-Feb-23 11:37:26

I am not sure why I spelled donut in that way is that the American version?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:35:25

My conclusion is that there is an abundance of choice here in the U.K.

It’s possible to get veg as it came from the fields, prepared ready to cook, frozen ready to zap in microwave along with tins.

All we have to do is persuade more folks to eat them.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:35:16

Galaxy

I eat veg. I am not lying here inhaling donuts and sausage rolls grin

Ooh, I could eat a doughnut ..... with jam 😁

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:34:31

Just thinking I should have booked a pub lunch 😁
For what it will cost to pay for ingredients, fuel costs, not to mention all that peeling and chopping, we could go to a local pub for £10 for a roast dinner and pudding apparently!!

Galaxy Sun 26-Feb-23 11:33:49

I eat veg. I am not lying here inhaling donuts and sausage rolls grin

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Feb-23 11:27:58

I've always been time poor, but always found a couple of minutes to peel a few veg
Arthritic hands can make that hard as we age.

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Feb-23 11:26:17

Tizliz

My main memory of shopping with my mother was her ability to add up the shopkeeper’s list upside down and point out their mistakes 🙄

Of course - mental arithmetic.
M0nica that is a very sad recollection, you may well be the poorer for that! How else do children learn than from observing and copying adults?

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:24:19

The local Farmfoods and Iceland are the go to places here, for they offer cheap and easy meals, which cost little to heat up in a microwave. Often people have little credit in their Pay as you go meters
With the cost of fuel going up, it's even more difficult now to "cook from scratch" for many.

Some posters have absolutely no idea, what it is to live in poverty
Absolutely right, Marydoll.