Gransnet forums

Food

Rambling recipes

(32 Posts)
Quokka Sun 26-Feb-23 11:02:14

Is it just me?

If I look up a recipe on online I want to go straight to the list of ingredients and a method, though a video is welcome too.

I don’t want to have to scroll though a load of rambling blurb, pages and pages of it, before getting to the nitty-gritty.

A tasty looking recipe comes up on my feed and then I have to wade through waffle until often I just give up.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Feb-23 10:15:32

Thank you all 🙂
Clear as unclarified butter 😁

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Feb-23 10:04:15

Siope - if that's all it means I've obviously forgotten! I was remembering from 40 years ago when we lived in the Midwest and bought milk/butter direct from a farm dairy.
We bought both sweet cream butter and sweet butter - maybe we bought one from the dairy and one locally if we ran out...
What's the difference between them?
We only bought unsalted but I know sweet cream salted was also available.

Siope Mon 27-Feb-23 10:00:41

Just came back to say what NotSpaghetti said!

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Feb-23 09:56:09

Oh, unless it's "sweet cream butter" which can be sweet or salted!

Siope Mon 27-Feb-23 09:55:33

Callistemon, sweet butter is butter made with sweet - ie not soured - cream.

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Feb-23 09:54:07

Sweet = unsalted.

NotSpaghetti Mon 27-Feb-23 09:52:56

UK and US both have similar lbs and oz weight BUT fluid oz are different, pints gallons etc.

The US is generally the outlier in terms of weights and measures if you look at English speakers- Canada, UK, NZ and Australia are all very close (not all the same though)...e.g. 568-570 ml to a pint except for USA where it's 473ml

I wish we could all just convert to metric. So much simpler.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 23:33:26

Norah

Callistemon21

Siope

If you use American sites, you should expect them to use measures they are comfortable with. Butter is sold in sticks in the USA, so it’s entirely sensible to use stick as a unit of measurement in recipes.

Oh! What does a stick of butter look like

Approx 4" long, 1''x1'' around, wrapped in a sort of paper - 4 to a box. A box is a US pound of sweet butter. A pound is 2 cups, a stick is 1/2 cup. Much more than you care to know. hmm

Brother lives in USA, we cook in his home.

Thank you Norah!
Sweet butter? 🤔

JackyB Sun 26-Feb-23 20:30:38

I always include UK in the search for the recipe, then the American ones don't come up as first choice.

Siope Sun 26-Feb-23 16:50:09

Butter is sold in packs of half a lb, 1lb, etc. A stick is 4oz, so basically think of a block of butter sliced lengthwise. Each stick is then individually wrapped, and then wrapped into the bigger packs. So the photo shows 1lb of butter.

Norah Sun 26-Feb-23 16:24:02

Callistemon21

Siope

If you use American sites, you should expect them to use measures they are comfortable with. Butter is sold in sticks in the USA, so it’s entirely sensible to use stick as a unit of measurement in recipes.

Approx 4" long, 1''x1'' around, wrapped in a sort of paper - 4 to a box. A box is a US pound of sweet butter. A pound is 2 cups, a stick is 1/2 cup. Much more than you care to know. hmm

Brother lives in USA, we cook in his home.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 16:16:22

Siope

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 16:15:28

My friend was a very precise cook.
Her very good and easy recipe for Victoria sponge was to weigh the eggs in their shells, then use that weight for flour, sugar and butter. Bake in two tins as usual.

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 16:14:19

Butter Sticks to Tablespoons, Grams, and Teaspoons

1 Stick of Butter8 tbsp113.4g

These silly conversions are just nonsense!!! 113.4 g!!!

Call it 110 and be done with it. 3.4 g is a pinch.

Siope Sun 26-Feb-23 16:12:58

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 16:11:17

Same here Callistemon- I have recipe books in both, and know conversion sort of by heart. Some of my books have got both. I count 1 oz as 25 gr, and it works as long as I do same with other measures, and use medium eggs.

NO, don't do American measures with sticks, etc.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 16:02:03

1 stick of butter = 8 tablespoons apparently.
Who measures butter in tablespoons? Flat? Rounded? Heaped?

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 16:00:02

Well, that's what I mean, I work in metric, although I can work in ounces too.

Eg a rounded tablespoon of flour = approximately an ounce or 28 grams, give r take a bit, throw it in with approximate measures of everything else, mix well and bake

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 15:48:48

lol, and what about metric?

Granmarderby10 Sun 26-Feb-23 14:51:25

“Cups “ of flour and “sticks” of butter and Fahrenheit temperatures make me inordinately angry, 😤 not to mention “pan” instead of tin or “pot” instead of pan,

Norah Sun 26-Feb-23 14:43:54

I, too, use "jump to recipe" or "print" unless I actually care what author's granny did to change up the recipe from her mum's. grin

Bruce Willis: "Ai Yi Yi!"

Redhead56 Sun 26-Feb-23 14:34:57

I know what you mean you have to trawl through that much you go off trying the recipe!

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 13:21:17

Totally get your frustration- but the recipe givers do it for a reason. Advertising and making money. So they take the time to prepare, put together, buy equipment for video, etc, etc. They don't do it to help you, as such, really.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 13:05:50

No, it's not just you Quokka!!

I am not a bit interested in the life history of the cook, how, where and when they sourced the ingredients, their families, just give me the recipe!

Thank you all, I will look for jump to Recipe in future.

Then it probably will say:
Take one stick of butter
Two cups of flour
One cup of sugar
Etc.
Bake at 350F

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Feb-23 12:56:05

Yes. "Jump to Recipe". I have seen that too. 👍