Gransnet forums

Food

Pubs using food trucks

(74 Posts)
Judy54 Sun 02-Apr-23 14:38:04

Pubs using food trucks seems to be a fairly new initiative. Understandably this would keep running costs down and may be less expensive for Patrons. The food is mainly burgers and pizzas and a local village pub that did this closed down after a few months. The majority of the people in the village are older and this food did not appeal to them. I can see it being popular with younger people but I am personally not a fan. What do you think would you use a pub that brought in food trucks rather than cooking in their own kitchen?

Norah Mon 03-Apr-23 13:21:09

Indeed.

Truck does sound Eddie Stobart or agricultural engineering.

Doesn't lead one to think of pristine. smile

Joseanne Mon 03-Apr-23 13:17:47

I think there's one with a Michelin star in Singapore.

BlueBelle Mon 03-Apr-23 13:13:14

Totally agree Grannygravy best food I ever tasted was street food in Malaysia

labradorlinda33 Mon 03-Apr-23 12:52:12

A fan of food vans heresmile. Our local village pub cannot do food so we regularly have the trucks in the car park.
We've had fish and chips, Japanese, Thai, burgers, Italian etc.
You can either eat in or takeaway. The pub is going from strength to strength and is very popular. I'm a pescatarian and they always cater for me.

biglouis Mon 03-Apr-23 10:29:03

With electricity and gas prices being what they are many small hospitality businesses can no longer afford to run the kitchen. So that may be a more affordable way for them to serve hot food.

kittylester Mon 03-Apr-23 10:24:24

One of my DDs runs a wedding magazine and fairs. She has lots of mobile food businesses advertising. Doubt they would be doing that if there was no mileage in it.

Foxygloves Mon 03-Apr-23 09:51:44

Definitely a van not a truck! 🛻

Joseanne Mon 03-Apr-23 09:46:44

Like this in Cornwall.

Joseanne Mon 03-Apr-23 09:43:57

Foxygloves

I do wonder if the mental image conjured up by food truck has something to do with people’s reservations?
A “truck” always sound heavy haulage - a bit Eddie Stobart- or industrial or agricultural equipment . Whereas the ice cream van of our childhood was eagerly awaited 🍦
(I also wish the fish and chip van that used to come round our village had not given up sad )

Good point Foxygloves. There is a beautiful pastel green caravanette (??) thing round our way. Nothing like a truck.

MiniMoon Mon 03-Apr-23 09:33:48

A local cafè has food trucks regularly, usually on a Wednesday evening.
They sell Mexican, Greek food and burgers. There are tables put out in the square, and in the summer they are busy mainly with tourists. They come all year round, we had food from the Greek van last summer, it was very good.

Foxygloves Mon 03-Apr-23 09:27:39

I do wonder if the mental image conjured up by food truck has something to do with people’s reservations?
A “truck” always sound heavy haulage - a bit Eddie Stobart- or industrial or agricultural equipment . Whereas the ice cream van of our childhood was eagerly awaited 🍦
(I also wish the fish and chip van that used to come round our village had not given up sad )

Joseanne Mon 03-Apr-23 09:03:52

We go to Taste of London in Regent's Park every summer. 5 star restaurants operate out of food trucks serving top quality cuisine with famous chefs preparing and checking the sample dishes. I'm sure hygiene is perfect, they wouldn't risk their reputation. There are loads of Foodies Festivals all over the country with food trucks. It's not all burgers, some sell fresh seafood or exotic foreign creations. Some sell champagne and cocktails too! 🍸 🍹 🍾

M0nica Mon 03-Apr-23 09:03:35

It is probably food truck or nothing. Is it any different to having burger or kebab vans? (OK, I know no one on GN would dream of using a burger or kebab van), but what about food vans at fairs and outdoor events?

During COVID, a local mobile wood-baked pizza company whose business was high-end private events (weddings, special openings etc) kept going by touring local villages, one an evening, and selling from their van, you order your pizza in advance and it is just coming out of the oven as you arrive to collect, no worry about food safety, apart from food hygiene ratings, a pizza that has just spent 15 minutes in a very hot oven, is not going to harbour bacteria, at least only dead and well baked bacteria.

Business is obviously not good at the moment so in the last few weeks they have reappeared at their pitch in the village hall car park so, for us, Friday night is now pizza night.

MerylStreep Mon 03-Apr-23 08:43:52

Dempie55

I would never buy anything from a food truck, I would worry about hygiene.

An acquaintance of mine invested over £200,000 some years ago in this type of business.
Do you seriously think he’s going to risk everything by breaking hygiene laws 🤷‍♀️

Katie59 Mon 03-Apr-23 08:40:58

It’s very difficult to make a living out of food service because good chefs are expensive and skilled staff to run a kitchen are hard to find. The large chains like Beefeater etc manage because they have economy of scale and a restricted menu, those serving mainly burgers and pizzas have a low food cost and less skilled cheap labour force.

NotSpaghetti Mon 03-Apr-23 08:34:37

My daughter has a lovely pub nearby that has food from a "truck" 6 days a week.
Fish and chips, Pizza, etc but also rotating "speciality" trucks such as paella and a hog roast in the garden now and then in the summer.

On the no-foid-truck day (Tuesday??) they have an "order from local take-aways" day so that might be Chinese, Indian, Thai etc.
The pub provides crockery and cutlery on the "order-in" days.

It means they can offer food every day of the week.
As others say, good for two business.
I also don't understand why anyone should be more (or less) concerned about hygiene when they have the same inspections as a pub kitchen and display their ratings.

Aveline Mon 03-Apr-23 08:30:26

Food trucks around here are very high end. 'Street food' is very trendy. Good quality and delicious. A chance to try some new types of food.

Sago Mon 03-Apr-23 08:18:13

My daughters friend has a very lucrative food truck business, she is selling at pubs on the evenings they don’t have a chef.
It means the pubs can still offer the customers food and they are gaining new customers as families are going early for pizza.
I think it’s a fabulous idea.
Her hygiene rating is 5, she went through the inspection process same as any establishment.

kittylester Mon 03-Apr-23 07:08:00

More like this

kittylester Mon 03-Apr-23 07:05:16

The ones that visit our village are nothing like the ones lay-bys.

MrsKen33 Mon 03-Apr-23 03:48:46

ThanksJaxjacky Bit like the vans you see in lay-bys then. ?

kittylester Sun 02-Apr-23 21:44:29

We also have a fish and chip van and a Polish Street Food one. Sadly neither of those offer gf.

Hithere Sun 02-Apr-23 21:21:46

What a great idea! 2 businesses collaborating together

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Apr-23 21:06:40

Ooh yes, we're very posh round here!!

😁

MerylStreep Sun 02-Apr-23 21:01:31

Callistemon21

One visits here selling grass-fed organic beef burgers

Oooh, there’s posh 😂