Gransnet forums

Food

Plant based cheese- Cathedral City

(14 Posts)
Bea65 Sat 15-Apr-23 14:49:31

Ugh this is truly a smelly tasting cheese...was nearly overcome with the odour..its very unpleasant...tried it twice once just a tiny sliver...and then grated it onto a dish...Sorry but will not buy again...

Riverwalk Sat 15-Apr-23 14:58:55

Presumably it's not really cheese i.e. made from milk - why they call it cheese I don't know!

It should be labelled 'pretend cheese' or something completely different.

Bea65 Sat 15-Apr-23 15:05:06

Riverwalk yes no dairy...so just don't know why it smells so like fungus feet/bad breath...its really smelly..thought it might be a more herb smell but soo disappointed as know the sat fats in dairy cheese not good for cholesterol levels..but Hey did give it a go and will go back to dairy cheese and limit my intakegrin

Witzend Sat 15-Apr-23 16:59:19

When making a vegan lasagne some time ago I used M&S grated ‘cheddar’ for the top, and was pleasantly surprised. The whole thing turned out surprisingly well - a bit of a faff, though, but then I find ordinary lasagne a bit of a faff, too, even without having to slice a mountain of mushrooms for the ‘guts’.

Hithere Sat 15-Apr-23 17:22:53

How many standard cheeses smell horribly?

It is ok to try new things and not like them

shysal Sat 15-Apr-23 18:08:44

I have family members who are vegan. When catering for them I use Violife 'cheeses', including cheddar and feta alternatives, which are not bad. They are nice enough for me to happily use them up afterwards. Also the Philadelphia plant based is a good substitute for their normal cream cheese.

Madgran77 Sat 15-Apr-23 18:59:11

shysal

I have family members who are vegan. When catering for them I use Violife 'cheeses', including cheddar and feta alternatives, which are not bad. They are nice enough for me to happily use them up afterwards. Also the Philadelphia plant based is a good substitute for their normal cream cheese.

Can you cook with the violife cheddar shysal? For instance to make "cheese" straws ?

shysal Sun 16-Apr-23 07:41:48

Madgran77

shysal

Can you cook with the violife cheddar shysal? For instance to make "cheese" straws ?

Yes, I cook with it. I have made quiche, macaroni cheese and cheese scones. It doesn't melt as readily as cheddar, but it is fine. The only problem I have is the appearance when I use oat milk, which is a bit grey!

Madgran77 Sun 16-Apr-23 07:48:23

Ok thanks, I will have a go with cheese straws soon when entertaining a vegan friend! 🙂

Norah Sun 16-Apr-23 20:55:11

We typically omit all cheese, IF we must have 'cheese' - we purchase 'applewood' vegan.

Bea65 Mon 17-Apr-23 13:51:51

I like Feta but how many of you have tried this Cathedral City Plant based option? The odour of this remained in kitchen overnight... was just trying to choose an option as have high cholestrol and love a mature Cheddarsmile

Grantanow Mon 12-Jun-23 14:57:41

Yuk.

Baggs Mon 12-Jun-23 15:47:12

MrB called the grated vegan cheese that we provided for DD's boyfriend "woodchip". Next to the grated cheddar the rest of us were using it did look like woodchips.

25Avalon Mon 12-Jun-23 15:54:14

Have a look at Heart Matters - 7 facts about cheese that may surprise you. It lists the amount of cheese you can have and which ones are lower in fat than others. Also about salt in cheese.