Gransnet forums

Food

Flora Buttery contains nuts

(9 Posts)
SquirrelSue Fri 03-Nov-23 19:16:23

I always use Flora Buttery when baking cakes, pastry etc and have been pleased with the result. Flora have changed the recipe, it now contains coconut fat. As some of my family and friends have a nut allergy I am no longer able to use it. Yet another food product where manufacturers are trying to reduce the cost and not pass on the saving to customers.

fancythat Fri 03-Nov-23 19:54:18

I am not aware that coconut triggers people with nut allergies.

Could be wrong on that?

LucyAnna Fri 03-Nov-23 21:37:56

nanna8 Fri 03-Nov-23 22:58:37

No, nuts are completely different as the above article from LucyAnna shows. Coconut milk can be used as a substitute for dairy,too.

Theexwife Fri 03-Nov-23 23:25:04

A coconut is not a nut it is a fruit, it is no relation to a tree nut so is fine for people with a nut allergy.

Nwood1901 Fri 02-Feb-24 19:10:16

My son has a nut allergy but is also allergic to coconut. It is not always OK for people with nut allergies to eat coconut.

Greenfinch Fri 02-Feb-24 19:16:06

Interesting Nwood , my son has a severe allergy to nuts but can happily eat coconut. Obviously that is not always the case.

Camilla7 Wed 21-Feb-24 16:24:08

I stopped using Flora Buttery when they removed the butter from it. Saves the planet from plastic pollution and there are no chemical additives to butter which I now keep on the counter for baking and eating.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 21-Feb-24 17:11:30

I have a family member who is allergic to, among lots of other things, tree nuts and ground nuts (peanuts) but is not allergic to coconut, which is neither. People with allergies are a mixed bunch, and you can't predict, but if it's just nuts which are the problem, coconut should be ok.