Gransnet forums

Food

Turkey, the gift that keeps on giving.

(22 Posts)
Sago Tue 16-Jan-24 11:50:50

On Sunday we had our daughter, SIl, grandchildren and friends for a Christmas lunch.
We were away for Christmas but we both love turkey and all the left overs so we bought a turkey to freeze.

So, turkey for 8 with all the trimmings on Sunday, yesterday I made litres of beautiful stock, this has made around 20+ portions of parsnip and carrot and coriander soup, a turkey and leek pie for last night’s supper, coronation turkey tonight and a turkey passanda for the freezer, ther is also enough for sandwiches!

Do you love or hate turkey, would you eat it all year round?

Witzend Tue 16-Jan-24 12:06:00

I didn’t cook one this year - we went to a dd - but I really did miss the leftovers and being able to make lovely stock from the carcass. Usually I will have several packets of leftover turkey in the freezer for using up later.
None of it is ever wasted.

They go very nicely in a substantial Mulligatawny, which is a regular here in winter. But also in a filling, largely veg winter soup, another thing we have a lot when it’s cold. Ditto a curry, of course.

Pantglas2 Tue 16-Jan-24 12:54:06

I’m another who uses every last bit of the blessed bird 🦃 Sago and we have lots of portions of turkey and ham pie in the freezer along with Thai Green curry and Turkey and sweetcorn chowder!

Love having home made ready meals available for when I have a can’t-be-bothered day!

Esmay Tue 16-Jan-24 14:14:31

I absolutely love turkey and would happily eat it all year round .
Perhaps it's because I'm not fond of pork and dislike beef minced or in chunks .
Apart from steak , I like chicken or lamb so turkey is a welcome alternative .

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Jan-24 14:29:46

I really enjoy Turkey, so despite not being home for Christmas lunch I still got a rather large one and cooked it Christmas Eve.

We had cold meat meals, sandwiches, froze one entire breast and made a huge pot of Turkey curry which I portioned up and froze also.

Witzend Tue 16-Jan-24 21:20:59

GrannyGravy13

I really enjoy Turkey, so despite not being home for Christmas lunch I still got a rather large one and cooked it Christmas Eve.

We had cold meat meals, sandwiches, froze one entire breast and made a huge pot of Turkey curry which I portioned up and froze also.

I’ve done that before, when we weren’t at home for Christmas - bought a small frozen one, left it in the fridge to defrost slowly and cooked it on maybe the 28th. Should have done it this time too!

flappergirl Tue 16-Jan-24 21:31:56

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I love turkey. I don't know why people are so negative about it.

62Granny Tue 16-Jan-24 21:33:40

I used to like it but find it too much for the two of us these days, I used to buy a fresh Turkey direct from a friend's small holding and they were delicious but didn't find one to compare when they stopped doing them. So we stopped buying one . We had a boned and stuffed guinea fowl this year and enjoyed that.

M0nica Tue 16-Jan-24 22:04:11

I love the Christmas turkey. I buy a large one, top quality, and I do not waste a shred of it. Every bit of meat is extracted and the carcase simmered for hours to make stock.

I currently have a plastic box of turkey scraps in the freezer to be used in casseroles, fricassees, and soups over the next few months.

Having said that I have no desire to have any more than one turkey a year. I do not like chicken, it is either tasteless, or it tastes not very nice and can be slimy, turkey I only like when it is organic and free range which means it is a once a year luxury.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Jan-24 22:08:55

I love it but I'm the only one in the family ☹

crazyH Tue 16-Jan-24 22:14:06

Not so keen on turkey, but at Xmas, it’s a must !!

JaneJudge Tue 16-Jan-24 22:20:23

I have started to like it whilst my kids have started to dislike it
Adult kids voting for Christmas

Redhead56 Wed 17-Jan-24 09:49:55

We eat turkey all year in different forms it’s healthy meat and apart from Christmas time it’s economical. We buy thigh and drum usually available in Morrisons and mince or sausages bought in other shops.

Grantanow Wed 17-Jan-24 11:33:30

We bought a boneless Turkey breast roll for Xmas and there was plenty for the two of us and enough for Turkey Marengo and another meal later.

Fae1 Sat 20-Jan-24 11:34:32

A vegetarian here. All this turkey talk is almost converting me !

Jaye53 Sat 20-Jan-24 13:20:09

NO!!! Since the day I saw turkeys running down the field as they knew they were going to be SLAUGHTERED THAT DAY and were trying to get free. I wept like a baby

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Jan-24 14:14:02

I’ve just bought one locally, we enjoyed ours at Christmas, it’s economical and I know the source.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Jan-24 17:37:57

I prefer goose , but make do with duck unless we are many. I have never liked turkey.

Leftover goose, like turkey, can be fried up, made into hash, and the carcass used for making the most wonderful soup.

jerseygirl Sat 20-Jan-24 18:52:49

I use all the turkey. I remove all the meat and freeze it in batches. Up to now i have made 2 x turkey stew, 2 x turkey carbonara and a turkey curry. There's still plenty in the freezer.
We love it. Its such a different taste. Its lovely.

DamaskRose Sun 21-Jan-24 10:12:18

I cook two Christmas dinners, one in Christmas Day and one on Boxing Day - for family reasons we can’t all be together on one day (the days following we are). I’ve tried various ways of organising this (cooking a big turkey I find too stressful in my unpredictable oven!)) but still haven’t found the solution. Any ideas?

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Jan-24 10:23:30

I'm cooking the Christmas gammon today as it wasn't needed and so I froze it.

Now, where is phoenix's recipe? Must get prepared!
🤔

henetha Sun 21-Jan-24 10:26:04

I love turkey too, but don't eat it apart from at Christmas.
So I will now resolve to buy it all year round. I think it's high in protein and low in fat, which is good.