Gransnet forums

Food

It’s Marmalade time.

(18 Posts)
Dotty123 Sun 21-Jan-24 17:12:38

I’m always so excited when January comes round so I can buy Seville oranges to make marmalade. (Can I be the only person who loves January!) A couple of years ago I found a recipe using a pressure cooker to cook the oranges whole for 10minutes before doing the rest…
It’s transformed the process. Anyone else tried this?

lemsip Sun 21-Jan-24 17:18:44

I love marmalade on toast for breakfast so will wait till the morning! lol

Urmstongran Sun 21-Jan-24 17:24:16

This little chap gets excited at the mention of marmalade too!

BlueBelle Sun 21-Jan-24 17:26:48

Never made marmalade not that keen really made jam in the summer although that’s a bit hit and miss some have been more successful than others but no nothing in a January

MissInterpreted Sun 21-Jan-24 17:27:06

I have made marmalade in the past, but it's getting so difficult to find Seville oranges around here now.

westendgirl Sun 21-Jan-24 17:37:24

Have just finished my second lot. It is very time consuming , but the full jars look so lovely ,

HelterSkelter1 Sun 21-Jan-24 17:38:37

My mother used her pressure cooker and I wish I had asked her for her recipe. I love marmalade especially a St Clements. I like it with peanut butter on wholemeal bread and a cup of good coffee.

But haven't made some for a few years. I love the smell and seeing it in pretty jars with a checked cover on the lid. One of lifes pleasures

Wheniwasyourage Sun 21-Jan-24 17:52:48

I've got my oranges and lemons chopped and frozen so that I can make the marmalade in the summer. In the winter it steams up the windows, but in the summer I can open them to let the steam out.

Dotty123 Sun 21-Jan-24 21:12:48

This is the link - hope I’m allowed…
annainthekitchen.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/easy-seville-orange-marmalade/

grannysyb Sun 21-Jan-24 21:44:22

Made eight pounds so far, second lot of cooked peel will have the sugar added tomorrow morning. I only add four and a half pounds of sugar to three pounds of fruit. I usually make about thirty five pounds as I have toast and marmalade every morning, and some goes to DD. I was pleased to see that the price of Sevilles was the same as last year!

Dinahmo Sun 21-Jan-24 21:57:59

Busy doing tax returns at the moment but next week will start my marmalade making. In October and November I made some batches using cedrat (very large lemons) and bergamots. It's all gone so now were eating plum jam from
September.

In France we get orange amere from Italy (also the fruit mentioned above). The French don't use the cellophane covers, they just turn the jars upside and leave then to cool.

grandMattie Sun 21-Jan-24 22:28:38

HelterSkelter1

My mother used her pressure cooker and I wish I had asked her for her recipe. I love marmalade especially a St Clements. I like it with peanut butter on wholemeal bread and a cup of good coffee.

But haven't made some for a few years. I love the smell and seeing it in pretty jars with a checked cover on the lid. One of lifes pleasures

I’ve made about 70 pots this year.
I use a pressure cooker. 1 kg oranges to 500ml water, pressure cook the chopped peel with membranes and seeds in bag, for 14 minutes on medium heat. Add another 500 ml water, 2kg sugar and proceed as usual.
My recipe is in the recipes section.
Good luck.

Shelflife Mon 22-Jan-24 00:05:09

Any one tried a tin of Marmade? My good friend who is an amazing cook assures me it makes lovely marmalade - without all the hard work. She tells me Morrisons sell it. I make jam and lemon curd , have never made marmalade but am tempted to pop into Morrisons asap!

Chestnut Mon 22-Jan-24 00:24:11

Shelflife

Any one tried a tin of Marmade? My good friend who is an amazing cook assures me it makes lovely marmalade - without all the hard work. She tells me Morrisons sell it. I make jam and lemon curd , have never made marmalade but am tempted to pop into Morrisons asap!

Just checked out of interest and Ma Made oranges (the tinned Seville oranges) are out of stock at Morrisons but if you search for 'ma made oranges' on Amazon and other supermarkets there is plenty.

Redhead56 Mon 22-Jan-24 00:41:01

I always use the tins with a nip of home made orange liquor it never fails.

Llamedos13 Mon 22-Jan-24 13:01:47

I quarter the oranges then pop them into my mini food chopper, saves all the slicing of peel.

Shelflife Mon 22-Jan-24 13:05:11

Thanks chestnut , will order from Amazon.

Whiff Wed 24-Jan-24 06:02:07

I gave up the faff of cutting peel years ago because it took to long and I can no longer use a sharp knife to cut because of my hands and also on blood thinners. Had some bad cuts because my hands tremble. Because of disability it takes 2 days to make marmalade. I buy Seville oranges usually 3 x1.5 kg and freeze . That way can make it during the year. But do make it with ordinary oranges,plus made lemon marmalade and lime marmalade.
I scrub the fruit before freezing.

If cooking from fresh simmer the oranges in 4pts water until soft hour to hour and half. Take out water leave to cool enough to handle. Top and tail cut in half discard pips put halves in preserving pan. With 2 pints of cooking liquid blitz the whole fruit with hand blender until smooth add another pint of water leave overnight covered with cling film. By this point very tired.
Put side plate in the freezer.
Next day add white granulated sugar. Prep jars and lids sterilise . Bring mix to boil stirring every few mins . Once boiling set timer sit reading my book Stirling every 10 mins. Once time up test for set. Pot. Wash up .
Next day wash any drips off jars and label.
Very fruity marmalade. No one has not liked my marmalade . Jams and chutneys all made with my short cuts.