Gransnet forums

Food

Quiche advice please

(24 Posts)
Nickygee Wed 07-Feb-24 11:31:30

I am about to make a quiche (crustless) for the first time.
My question is - does the egg mixture increase in volume when cooked?
I.E. Do I need to cook in a dish appreciably higher than the level of the raw mix?

Esmay Wed 07-Feb-24 11:54:47

I'd made quiche for about fifty years .

I don't use a recipe -that's maybe why they always have a variation in taste .

Unless you beat the eggs a great deal - one of my friends used to separate the whites and beat them to soft peaks then , fold in -I don't - it won't rise very much unlike a souffle .

The dish doesn't need to be that much higher than the mixture .

Put a baking tray underneath if you are worried about an overspill .

Enjoy baking and eating it !

Nickygee Wed 07-Feb-24 12:40:41

hank you Esmay - a perfect answer.

MaizieD Wed 07-Feb-24 13:17:30

It also depends on what temperature it's cooked at. At higher temperatures the egg mix will puff up during cooking, and sink again as it cools.

Quiches need long, gentle cooking so that the egg mix sets, like a baked egg custard.. About gas 3 or 4, 160ish C

I'm intrigued by a 'crustless' quiche. What is that?

Auntieflo Wed 07-Feb-24 13:48:12

I also would like to know what a crustless quiche is please

MissInterpreted Wed 07-Feb-24 13:50:50

Auntieflo

Exactly what it says! A quiche with no crust - so it's basically just like the quiche filling.

Pammie1 Wed 07-Feb-24 13:56:37

The egg mixture will puff up as it cooks, but will sink down again as it cools so the filling will be roughly the same level as when raw. @Auntieflo - I think a crustless quiche is basically a savoury baked egg custard - no pastry. I’ve got a carb free cookbook and have seen various ones in there.

welbeck Wed 07-Feb-24 14:01:31

MissInterpreted

Auntieflo

Exactly what it says! A quiche with no crust - so it's basically just like the quiche filling.

i buy and eat something like that from lidl, and it's called a fritata.
which i'd assumed was something fried ?
anyway, they are v nice.
and i prefer them without the pastry, seems healthier, and better value for money.

MaizieD Wed 07-Feb-24 14:08:47

It shouldn't puff up as it cooks though. It's texture should be similar to something like creme caramel, which is usually cooked in a water bath to ensure that it doesn't puff up but stays solid and creamy.

Classically, anyway. But it's all down to personal taste, really...

Norah Wed 07-Feb-24 14:17:30

I believe 'crustless' may be as this Sainsbury's recipe.

Impossible quiche
Recipe by Tamsin Burnett-Hall

oil or butter to grease
4 medium eggs
50g self- raising flour
375ml milk
125g extra mature cheddar, grated
100g young spinach
1 x 140g pot chargrilled artichokes, drained and halved
75g soft goat’s cheese

Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5 (this is hotter than the usual temperature for baking a quiche but works perfectly for this particular recipe). Lightly grease a 23cm base diameter ceramic or Pyrex flan dish (or a square baking dish will do the job as well).
Wilt the spinach in a pan over a medium heat. Leave to cool, then squeeze out the excess moisture and add to the greased dish, along with the artichokes.
Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk together with the flour, then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Stir in 100g of the cheddar, then season the mixture and pour into the baking dish. Don’t worry that it looks very thin and liquid. Randomly add small spoonfuls of the soft goat’s cheese then scatter with the rest of the cheddar.
Bake for 30 minutes until golden, set and starting to rise. Leave to settle for at least 30 minutes before serving; this is best served warm, rather than hot.

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Feb-24 14:57:56

I cook this often, not the Sainsburys recipe, it’s useful for odd bits to be used up, I call it a frittata too.

Witzend Wed 07-Feb-24 16:24:11

Except for the goat’s cheese (I’ll use something else) I do like the sound of that recipe, Norah. Will certainly give it a go.

MissInterpreted Wed 07-Feb-24 16:25:25

I make frittatas and crustless quiches regularly and while they are similar, there are differences too.

Norah Wed 07-Feb-24 16:45:21

Witzend

Except for the goat’s cheese (I’ll use something else) I do like the sound of that recipe, Norah. Will certainly give it a go.

A favourite of one daughter. Another prefers Ham and Gruyere.

The flour in the egg mix somehow is semi-crust layer.

Easy, fast, what's not to like?

JamesandJon33 Wed 07-Feb-24 17:23:44

A crust less quiche has no pastry. Much the same as a frittata really.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Feb-24 17:57:46

MissInterpreted

Auntieflo

Suitable for coeliacs and those who need a gluten free diet.

GF pastry can be dire.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Feb-24 18:00:40

Norah

Impossible quiche

oil or butter to grease
4 medium eggs
50g self- raising flour
375ml milk
100g young spinach
75g soft goat’s cheese

Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5 (this is hotter than the usual temperature for baking a quiche but works perfectly for this particular recipe). Lightly grease a 23cm base diameter ceramic or Pyrex flan dish (or a square baking dish will do the job as well).
Wilt the spinach in a pan over a medium heat. Leave to cool, then squeeze out the excess moisture and add to the greased dish, along with the artichokes.
Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk together with the flour, then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Stir in 100g of the cheddar, then season the mixture and pour into the baking dish. Don’t worry that it looks very thin and liquid. Randomly add small spoonfuls of the soft goat’s cheese then scatter with the rest of the cheddar.
Bake for 30 minutes until golden, set and starting to rise. Leave to settle for at least 30 minutes before serving; this is best served warm, rather than hot.

And it would work well with gluten-free flour too, just add a little more milk 🙂

Adding the flour (ordinary or gf) into the quiche mixture gives it a little more substance but without having to have the pastry.

Norah Wed 07-Feb-24 18:04:37

Callistemon21

Norah

Impossible quiche

oil or butter to grease
4 medium eggs
50g self- raising flour
375ml milk
100g young spinach
75g soft goat’s cheese

And it would work well with gluten-free flour too, just add a little more milk 🙂

Adding the flour (ordinary or gf) into the quiche mixture gives it a little more substance but without having to have the pastry.

Our daughters tend to eat carefully to stay quite slim, pastry crusts are not on their lists of slimming foods. Their choice.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Feb-24 18:45:41

I do like a good pastry but not particularly quiche pastry.

Witzend Wed 07-Feb-24 19:57:03

M&S do crustless quiches, not that I’ve ever tried one.

Nickygee Fri 09-Feb-24 03:31:44

IS A FRITTATA THE SAME AS A CRUSTLESS QUICHE?

The difference between a frittata and a quiche is about more than just the crust. A frittata is partially cooked in a skillet on the cooktop then finished in the oven. It also has a lower egg to dairy ratio making it closer to an open faced omelet than a pie. Quiche has a creamier, custard-like texture due to more dairy and is cooked entirely in the oven.

Today some quiche recipes bake the egg custard like a pie in a pie dish, without a traditional flaky crust, for a lighter or gluten-free version of a classic quiche recipe.

Nickygee Fri 09-Feb-24 03:35:14

www.kitchenaid.com/pinch-of-help/major-appliances/frittata-vs-quiche.html

margauxbordeaux Sat 10-Feb-24 12:17:55

Nickygee

IS A FRITTATA THE SAME AS A CRUSTLESS QUICHE?

The difference between a frittata and a quiche is about more than just the crust. A frittata is partially cooked in a skillet on the cooktop then finished in the oven. It also has a lower egg to dairy ratio making it closer to an open faced omelet than a pie. Quiche has a creamier, custard-like texture due to more dairy and is cooked entirely in the oven.

Today some quiche recipes bake the egg custard like a pie in a pie dish, without a traditional flaky crust, for a lighter or gluten-free version of a classic quiche recipe.

Fritatta: Is Italian and yes, it is partially cooked in a skillet on stove top and then finished in oven. Also the filling ingredients are quite different. Green bell sliced in tiny squares, Red bell sliced in tiny squares, can add onion and pancetta or ham or bacon. Traditionally there is no cheese in a Fritatta. The texture is firmer than a quiche texture.

Quiche: Traditionally a French quiche is prepared in a pie shell. The ingredients can vary from region to region. Gruyère or Emmenthal cheese, spinach leaves, Caramelised onion or leek, teaspoon of sugar, nutmeg, cream, eggs of course (4), butter and either a little wine or cider.

A quiche Lorraine is similar however, with ham ..

margauxbordeaux Sun 11-Feb-24 17:17:19

Sunday Evening Dinner for 4 ..
11 / 02 / 2024 ..

We have our dear friends coming for dinner this evening.
The theme is Lebanese.

To start off, we are having Falafel prepared from scratch, Chickpea Hummus and toasted Pita.

The main is: Grilled Oven Chicken breast marinated in Greek Yogurt, paprika, black pepper, garlic, salt and a hint of cayenne ..

Served with a Rosé Prosecco.

Dessert: Baked apples prepared with rose water syrup, sultanas (golden raisins), ginger, lime zest, brown sugar and finely sliced apple as well.

Nice evening wishes.