Gransnet forums

Food

Recommendations for foil cooking containers please

(21 Posts)
Jackaranda Sun 11-Feb-24 18:23:23

A new grandchild arriving soon and I'd like to cook some meals for the sleep deprived parents freezer/fridge to help out. I was looking at aluminium foil containers (with lids) as they don't need to be washed. Any personal experience with these? They seem to vary hugely in capacity, quality and thickness! Lakeland have some but I'd appreciate any suggestions. I was planning meals along the lines of cottage pie, hotpot, lasagne etc. But any other ideas welcome...... Thank you!

Theexwife Sun 11-Feb-24 18:38:35

I get the cheap ones, Poundland, B&M etc , I am always inclined to wash and keep the thicker more expensive ones.

If they are microwave users then I would suggest the plastic ones, again Poundland etc.

Jaxjacky Sun 11-Feb-24 18:45:45

I bought these and they’ve been great. Used for stuffing, casseroles, cottage pies etc.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08B8ZH1K1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

V3ra Sun 11-Feb-24 18:56:11

I use the Chinese takeaway plastic boxes when I cook for the freezer.
They hold a good portion and can be used to reheat the food in the microwave.
If you, or the baby's parents, don't already have a collection in the cupboard then you can buy them from Amazon.

Jackaranda Sun 11-Feb-24 19:04:01

Thanks very much for the suggestions - I'll check them out, I know anything will be appreciated! I remember how very glad I was not to have to think about cooking at the end of the day!

AskAlice Sun 11-Feb-24 19:06:47

I'd also recommend plastic containers as they can be used in the microwave - much quicker and cheaper than heating the oven. Or maybe a combination of the two? Re. the foil ones, I find that although the thinner ones don't tend to last for more than one use (two at the most with very careful handling), they do heat up more quickly and the contents seem to cook more evenly.

Jackaranda Sun 11-Feb-24 19:46:42

Thanks everyone, some good points - I have a selection of plastic freezer/microwave containers which would be perfect for soup reheating I think.

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Feb-24 00:18:36

Don't forget soups can be frozen in containers and then transferred into freezer bags. This is handy if space is short in the freezers.

Calendargirl Mon 12-Feb-24 07:17:33

DH and I like the Tesco gammon with honey joints in foil containers. The containers are very good quality, strong and a great size to put home made fish or cottage pies in after washing thoroughly.

No lids, but I just put them in a freezer bag and fasten up.

Jackaranda Mon 12-Feb-24 18:20:43

Thanks! thanks

Esmay Mon 12-Feb-24 18:34:13

I've seen aluminium containers in the Pound Shop .
I've used them to cater for children and grandchildren , but prefer Pyrex or Pyrex type containers .

I never heat food in plastic containers in the microwave , because heated plastic can release dangerous carcinogenic chemicals .

I have a lot of small Pyrex type containers and use them to reheat food in the microwave .

1summer Mon 12-Feb-24 19:10:16

I am doing the same thing, my daughters second baby due in 8 weeks. For my first grandchild I batch cooked her about 20 meals and she said it was an absolute godsend especially as it was at the start of Covid and so difficult to nip to the shops or order a takeaway.
I ordered some tin foil containers with lids and a few microwaveable ones from EBay - cheaper than Amazon. Although I ordered what I thought was 5 foil pie tins only to have 50 delivered!!! They were only about £5. If you lived local you could have some 😂
On my list made or still to make is
Lasagne
Chilli
Cottage Pie
Bolognaise sauce
Chicken & Chorizo casserole
Cajun Chicken casserole
Ras el Hanout chicken & orzo
Slow cooked steak pies
Chicken &Leek pies
Slow cooked beef ragu
Fish Pies
I am also doing some soups for lunches.
Hope this helps

Jackaranda Mon 12-Feb-24 19:46:16

Thank you to Esmay and Isummer too - that is all really helpful thanks
50 containers for £5 was a true bargain!
The ideas for meals are much appreciated, I did make soup today - leek & potato and vegetable & lentil, which will give them 4 easy lunches!
I had to look up the Ras el Hanout dish and that is now a definite one to add to the menu!

Sarahr Thu 15-Feb-24 21:45:45

Just a thought; I would use the plastic takeaway tubs so meals can be microwaved.
Have just filled our freezer as we are taking the kitchen out next week and the thought of trying to cook from scratch with just a microwave is so stressful, hence takeaway containers, each with a meal to reheat in minutes.

Gundy Fri 16-Feb-24 04:23:55

You need to (or should start to) recycle all foil pans/trays - don’t throw them in the trash! So that would require a little rinsing out, not exactly washing.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 16-Feb-24 05:58:45

Do your councils not take aluminium containers for recycling when they’re no longer usable? Ours does, but you’re meant to wash them out, obviously. Aluminium, I believe, is very common as bauxite, but needs a lot more energy to extract than it needs to recycle.

Jackaranda Fri 16-Feb-24 19:36:24

Thanks for the suggestions - I found some perfect containers on A*azon as Jaxjacky suggested, only a smaller quantity. They need to be deep enough so allow for freezer expansion.
I'm not the best cook but my DS (the new parent to be) is an excellent one. However, I'm pleased with my efforts and I know the meals will be much appreciated.
I've learned to stick to things I know - I tried out what sounded delicious on BBC Good Food website but it was a real disappointment. I hate waste so will 'redesign' it for us at home, DH won't complain!

Redhead56 Sat 17-Feb-24 09:50:43

I use foil containers all the time they are very useful and come in different sizes. I use zip lock type bags for soups and sauces and freeze them flat. They don’t take up much space in the freezer just open put contents in a pan and heat up.

Jackaranda Thu 22-Feb-24 19:56:39

Thanks Readhead56 I'll try the zip lock bags, good idea!

welbeck Thu 22-Feb-24 20:48:19

most people microwave food rather than put it in the oven, so foil is inconvenient.
you can get suitable containers easily and cheaply.

silverlining48 Thu 22-Feb-24 20:54:39

I have heard recently that foil should not be used with hot food. Aluminium issues which can cause health issues.