Gransnet forums

Food

Shallots

(22 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 16-Mar-24 16:31:58

A question for all you foodie Gnetters.

I love leafing through the Guardian Feast magazine every week for the sheer amusement of reading recipes containing ingredients which I've never heard of. And Grace Dent's restaurant reviews in which she enthuses over dishes which are not only completely unfamiliar but which sound utterly disgusting 😆

(I do confess to sometimes trying recipes with more familiar ingredients and Felicity Cloake's 'perfect' recipes are always excellent)

My question is, though, what on earth is a banana shallot?

They are always specified in the recipes and I fear divine retribution if I use an ordinary one (or, heaven forbid, an onion). 😱

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Mar-24 16:36:05

They are longish a cross between an onion and a shallot.

Marmin Sat 16-Mar-24 16:41:57

They are a cross between a shallot and an onion. They have a milder flavour than brown onions. I shall be having a go at the recipe for mushroom shawarma in today's Feast.

TinSoldier Sat 16-Mar-24 16:43:46

They are milder than an onion but larger than a shallot - faster to chop.

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Mar-24 17:31:05

Just about to use a couple. (Those are new potatoes btw)

MissInterpreted Sat 16-Mar-24 17:39:19

Marmin

They are a cross between a shallot and an onion. They have a milder flavour than brown onions. I shall be having a go at the recipe for mushroom shawarma in today's Feast.

Ooh, I've just looked up that recipe online - it sounds lovely!

62Granny Sat 16-Mar-24 17:40:12

I like them for cooking, they are easier to use it all, instead of sometimes having 1/2 onion hanging around. They also cook faster and don't require too much oil and taste nicer I think. Lidl and Aldi well them.

62Granny Sat 16-Mar-24 17:40:51

Sell not well.

Primrose53 Sat 16-Mar-24 17:47:19

Been using banana shallots for years. I love to see them in casseroles and stews.

I can’t resist unusual veggies like graffiti aubergines and romanesque (cross between cauliflower and broccoli and is a thing of beauty.)

AskAlice Sat 16-Mar-24 18:10:35

I love shallots, particularly the long ones like Longor. As others have said, a banana shallot is a cross between and onion and a shallot - milder sweeter flavour so not as overpowering in more delicate dishes.

Shallots are easy to grow, even in pots although I plant mine in my raised veg beds. Originally I just bought the supermarket ones (not recommended by purists but it worked for me!) I plant them in autumn, with their tips just below soil level and come the spring they are beginning to show leaves. In the summer when the leaves wilt and yellow, I dig them out and hey presto! At least 5 or 6 shallots for each single one planted. Then I save some of the smaller ones for planting again in Autumn and so it goes on.

Primrose, I like the sound of graffiti aubergines - I've never heard of them before!

Mogsmaw Sat 16-Mar-24 18:39:27

Primrose53

Been using banana shallots for years. I love to see them in casseroles and stews.

I can’t resist unusual veggies like graffiti aubergines and romanesque (cross between cauliflower and broccoli and is a thing of beauty.)

The fruit and veg stall that has appeared in the town centre has graffiti aubergines regularly, last week he had baby ones. So small and stripy! I used an Indian recipe to stuff them and serve in a spicy sauce, sublime.
He’s never getting them again , too expensive apparently (4 for £1 enough for two greedy people). I think it is more that I was the only person to be excited about them.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Mar-24 19:07:30

There are dozens of varieties of shallot.

I've just found this lovely image of 8 Indonesian shallot landraces - peeled and unpeeled. The traditional shallot flavour is mainly in the red ones like these I think.

The banana type are quite common here in the UK but think France and Italy tend to have redder ones.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Mar-24 19:13:56

I love the way they "snuggle" against each other when they grow. 😍

Grandmaofone Sat 16-Mar-24 19:26:37

MaizieD

A question for all you foodie Gnetters.

I love leafing through the Guardian Feast magazine every week for the sheer amusement of reading recipes containing ingredients which I've never heard of. And Grace Dent's restaurant reviews in which she enthuses over dishes which are not only completely unfamiliar but which sound utterly disgusting 😆

(I do confess to sometimes trying recipes with more familiar ingredients and Felicity Cloake's 'perfect' recipes are always excellent)

My question is, though, what on earth is a banana shallot?

They are always specified in the recipes and I fear divine retribution if I use an ordinary one (or, heaven forbid, an onion). 😱

(French) eschallots - banana shallots is a colloquialism,
why is a mystery as they are more barelled than banana
shape, sweeter, more delicate than brown onions, easily
researched byyour goodself, either online or exploring the
veg stalls of markets or supermarkets, these are not a new
fangled faddy veg, no need for gasps.

MaizieD Sat 16-Mar-24 20:01:03

Oh, I've used shallots for many a year, but here in the benighted NE what you buy in the shops are just 'shallots' 😀

Thanks for enlightening me everyone...

Sago Sat 16-Mar-24 20:07:34

Used them for years, always put them in beef bourguignon.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Mar-24 20:35:07

Jaxjacky

Yes, these. Supposedly banana-shaped.

Shallots to me mean pickled onions which are actually shallots, small round onions.
My father used to make a large jarful in time for Christmas.

However, just to confuse the issue, spring onions are known as shallots in Australia.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Mar-24 20:36:22

Sago

Used them for years, always put them in beef bourguignon.

One supermarket sells frozen ones, so useful for beef bourguignon, but I ouldn't find them last time I made it.

Grayling1 Sat 16-Mar-24 20:48:26

I've used shallots for years at Christmas time but they were always small and round and then, all of a sudden, I couldn't get them - it was all banana shaped ones. I do a roasted shallot dish with balsamic vinegar but when I used the shaped ones it went mushy as it cooked so I stopped. However last year I managed to get the round ones in Morrison's so every one was happy. I must say I have enjoyed the above informative post.

Primrose53 Sat 16-Mar-24 21:23:31

Callistemon21

Jaxjacky

Shallots to me mean pickled onions which are actually shallots, small round onions.

However, just to confuse the issue, spring onions are known as shallots in Australia.

To confuse things a bit further, spring onions are called scallions in Ireland.

kittylester Sat 16-Mar-24 21:29:32

Sainsbury's usually have both.

Witzend Sun 17-Mar-24 10:54:44

Primrose53

Callistemon21

Jaxjacky

To confuse things a bit further, spring onions are called scallions in Ireland.

AFAIK they’re called scallions in the US, too.