Gransnet forums

Food

Suggestions happily accepted

(20 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 22-Mar-24 17:09:26

Right here goes I m a vegetarian haven’t eaten meat or fish for a long time and don’t intend to
Recently I ve realised my diet is very carbohydrate orientated i do eat my fruit and veg but its usually with rice, pasta, noodles, or potatoes and I like bread in all forms
So
I m about cutting carbs down but what can I cook that’s not difficult, time consuming, or involve carbs
I should add I normally have toast for breakfast not keen on porridge or cereal ?

growstuff Fri 22-Mar-24 17:15:19

Nuts.

Do you eat dairy and eggs?

CanadianGran Fri 22-Mar-24 17:16:02

Do you eat eggs and cheese?

I found this on-line, the recipes look nice:

www.eatingwell.com/gallery/8044319/low-carb-high-protein-vegetarian-dinners/

BlueBelle Fri 22-Mar-24 17:18:53

Yes I do eat eggs and cheese I m not vegan
I love nuts but as a snack mostly

Oh thanks Canadiangran I ll have a look at that and let you know how I get on
I really don’t like cooking it’s all such a faff and I keep out the kitchen as much as possible 🤣 but I really need to rethink things

Marmin Fri 22-Mar-24 17:28:32

Fellow vegetarian here. It sounds like you don't really want to start spending more time in the kitchen with a lot of new ingfedients. How about looking at some changes you can make without creating yourself a lot of challenges? Start with toast for breakfast. What sort of bread do you eat? Are there more nutritional alternatives? What do you have on toast? Start simple and take it from there. Good luck.

growstuff Fri 22-Mar-24 17:29:56

I eat low carb. I although I'm not veggie, I don't eat much meat or fish.

I don't like cooking very much either.

I eat eggs (omelette, poached, scrambled) or yoghurt with berries. and nuts for breakfast.

Lunch is something like cottage cheese, walnuts, celery and apple mixed up or humus and veg sticks. Sometimes soup in winter.

Evening meal is a huge salad with some kind of protein. I eat meat or fish maybe three or four times a week, but also frittata (if I didn't have eggs for breakfast), cauliflower and broccoli cheese, home made nut roast, aubergine parmigiana. I have fruit or yoghurt for dessert.

Sago Fri 22-Mar-24 19:14:57

I make a lot of dhal with chickpeas/lentils,spinach, tomatoes etc.
Our favourite vegetarian recipes are queen butterbean stew with cream cheese and spinach and vegetable tagines.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Mar-24 19:25:46

Oh youre all so sophisticated in your cooking I ll have to try a bit harder
Thanks I ll definitely have to get my pinny out Jacket potato or rice and stir fry is so easy 🙃 yours sounds lovely Growstuff but a bit heavy on the kitchen (home made nut roast!! ) I love nut roast but never made my own I tell you my kitchen time is as little as possible 🙄I must turn over a new leaf

BlueBelle Fri 22-Mar-24 19:29:46

Hi Marmin I use seeded brown bread and usually have jam I really don’t like porridge or cereal much and fruit just wouldn’t keep me going

CanadianGran Fri 22-Mar-24 19:51:48

Oh, also squash. It is less carb-rich than potatoes. Yesterday I did butternut squash in the air fryer with olive oil and some seasoning, it is very good and easy to make.

Theexwife Fri 22-Mar-24 20:16:44

I eat mostly stir fried veg or casserole of veg with different herbs and spice, for protein I tend to rely on a protein shake.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 22-Mar-24 21:18:21

Tinned lentils are great with a salad in addition to being made into dhal with a few spices, as people suggested Hummus - chickpeas in a spreadable form -is protein rich and no effort if you buy it ( although easy to make if you have a blender.)
Tins of salad beans added to salad or soup up your fibre, too.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Mar-24 22:17:31

BlueBelle

Yes I do eat eggs and cheese I m not vegan
I love nuts but as a snack mostly

Oh thanks Canadiangran I ll have a look at that and let you know how I get on
I really don’t like cooking it’s all such a faff and I keep out the kitchen as much as possible 🤣 but I really need to rethink things

I've been having nuts with dried fruit like apricots, prunes, and plain Greek yoghurt for breakfast.
You could sprinkle some muesli into it too.

OldFrill Fri 22-Mar-24 23:34:44

Chickpeas, lentils, nuts, fruit (especially dried) are ok in moderation but they are generally far from low carb - berries are best.
Look at soy (in any form including edame and tofu). Seitan and Tempeh. All are low carb and can be used to replace meat protein.
Dairy is ok but eggs can get tedious.

LadyGaGa Sat 23-Mar-24 00:09:35

I’m also in the veggie carb lover club! Do you eat the plant based/veggie options that supermarkets have? Aldi and Sainsburys have loads of choices - for quickness I’ll pick one of the healthier options and have it with salad and coleslaw. I also love a pitta or flat bread with Viv Era veggie shawarma and a mint dressing (you can get this in any supermarket, it’s Middle Eastern I think)

nadateturbe Sat 23-Mar-24 10:04:36

Egg oats and banana blitzed, make lovely pancakes. Can add berries and yogurt.

pascal30 Sat 23-Mar-24 10:12:18

I always have kefir for breakfast and have a restricted eating pattern. so a largish meal during the day which will be protein, carbs and veg.. and maybe toast and fruit before 6pm

Witzend Thu 28-Mar-24 18:19:51

When I’m cutting down on carbs I often have half a pack of halloumi, sliced and fried in just a film of oil, with e.g. a cut up apple, tomatoes, a chunk of (raw) white cabbage.

winterwhite Thu 28-Mar-24 19:06:19

Glad you started this, Bluebelle, my problem as well.
Often have a banana for breakfast, plus yogurt, plus walnuts - nothing could be easier. I eat things one by one, not all mixed up together.

Two poached eggs on one piece of toast makes a good lunch.

Marmite rice cakes. Oatcakes and cheese. Raw carrots, raw celery. Good fruit cake. Parkin. Various stuff like this assembled on a plate and eaten in the fingers while reading.

I eat fish, so can add sardines to this medley (though not eaten with fingers😂). In season tomato sandwiches are my low carb downfall. I've even been known to buy proper white bread for the purpose.

I often eat like this while cooking some sort of proper meal for my DH (who reads too).

Don't like pasta, would never cook potatoes just for me.

No point in trying too hard at these things. Life needn't be as earnest as all that 👍

flappergirl Thu 28-Mar-24 19:46:37

Tofu is great and very versatile.