Gransnet forums

Food

What do you regard as a salad?

(44 Posts)
Desdemona Fri 18-Sept-26 22:13:03

I went out for lunch today (a rare event!) and the dish I chose was served with salad.

It arrived with just some shredded lettuce and cucumber. To me, that isn't really a salad. Ok to bung in a sandwich but not to advertise as salad as a meal accompaniment.

When I make a basic salad at home it is lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion and some shredded carrot, sometimes sweetcorn as well.

Sorry to be a whinger. What do you think is a decent side salad?

Esmay Sat 19-Sept-26 17:41:05

I like a green salad with croutons and parmesan and prefer tomatoes served separately perhaps with mozzarella and basil .
I like Russian cucumber salad .
If entertaining I serve my salads separately.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Sept-26 17:52:15

I agree Monica
This dish contained salad it wasn’t a salad mains, and it wasn’t even a salad side dish, it was a small part of the main meal
These are three separate things
A mains salad dish would be the whole caboose of perhaps four or five salad items
A side salad would be similar but much smaller
A dish ‘with salad’ could easily pass with a few salad leaves and half a tomato

MayBee70 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:21:34

Oreo

I never eat salad when out for a meal, more tummybugs are caused by it than anything else.Have a hot meal to be safe.
My own salads contain tons of ingredients.

I agree. When I worked at the airport we used to sterilise our lettuce. I doubt if restaurants do that.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Sept-26 18:22:33

Even a green salad can have many many different greens in it though Norah - at least they can do in my house!
grin

M0nica Sat 19-Sept-26 18:56:57

MayBee70

Oreo

I never eat salad when out for a meal, more tummybugs are caused by it than anything else.Have a hot meal to be safe.
My own salads contain tons of ingredients.

I agree. When I worked at the airport we used to sterilise our lettuce. I doubt if restaurants do that.

I have had food poisoning 4 times. Three times it was from shell food, the fourth from possibly the best steak I had ever eaten.

More to the point almost all food poisoning incidents arise from food prepared and eaten outside the home. It is very rare to get food poisoning from home prepared food. I heard that last piece of information from an interview a few years ago with one of the top experts in the field of food safety.

Plevey08 Sat 19-Sept-26 19:06:29

Most places give 'a bit on the side' pun intended. Even ordering a toastie or sandwich you get a few leaves thrown in. To get a proper salad it has to be ordered separately. Prefer my own with spinach leaves or watercress leaves, chickpeas and the usual peppers,toms etc.

Deedaa Sat 19-Sept-26 19:24:26

In Italy a salad was usually a separate course, served after the second course. It was often just a bowl of lettuce, but so crisp and fresh that it felt as if it had just been picked out of the garden.

Witzend Sat 19-Sept-26 19:26:26

In winter I often use white cabbage instead of lettuce - it goes well with any other salad items and keeps very well in the fridge. And it’s nice and crunchy!

Also use a lot for homemade coleslaw (shop stuff always has too much mayonnaise or is too sloppy and vinegary for me) - with onion, celery, carrot, and apple. And only just enough mayonnaise to hold it together.

Retread Sat 19-Sept-26 21:03:48

I agree that shop bought coleslaw is not tasty. I sometimes buy a coleslaw kit from Tesco and make it at home, with a mixture of mayo and Greek yoghurt.

I buy gem lettuce and make chopped salad. I used to avoid salad spinner-ing, but since I bought a small compact one I don't mind doing small batches. I'm actually quite put off by the bags of baby leaves etc I always think they have zero nutritional value.

Cabbie21 Sat 19-Sept-26 22:12:21

I don’t expect much for a side salad, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. I am disappointed if it is just green leaves from a bag.
The best green salad I have ever had was a lunch at a gastro pub. It contained at least ten ingredients, few of them being leaves and it was delicious.
I haven’t seen what used to be called ‘ mustard and cress’ for a long time.

Wyllow3 Sat 19-Sept-26 23:17:31

Sago

Salad is one of my most favourite things.

I use any combination of spinach, watercress, Webb lettuce, rocket etc as a base (never bags).
Then it’s a selection of blanched green vegetables chilled, mange tout, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, baby sweetcorns.
Now it’s the bottom of the fridge, cucumber,radish,spring onion etc.

I never put tomato on a salad, they make everything soggy, if tomatoes have been stored properly at room temperature they are delicious served separately with some red onion.

Finally Parmesan shavings and of course the best bit a beautiful homemade dressing.
A well made salad is a joy!

Now thats me. Love them.

Except I use wee tomatoes and leave them whole, and I dont eat onion.

I like fennel in it as well.

Norah Sun 20-Sept-26 11:42:20

NotSpaghetti

Even a green salad can have many many different greens in it though Norah - at least they can do in my house!
grin

I understand.

I was merely saying salads don't require greens.

We have green salads often.

Labradora Sun 20-Sept-26 15:26:40

Norah

Last week we made farro salad (no greens), fruit salad (no greens), Tabbuleh (green herbs), potato salad (vegan), and Greek Salad (no feta).

Greens do not a salad make, IMO.

Surely there are lots of different types of salad according to the taste of the salad-maker. In restaurants specifically -named salads mean you know what you're getting roughly; Cobb salad; salade nicoise; ceasar salad. In our favourite pizza restaurant down here in SW France we order a "salade verte" rough green leaves ; a bit of onion; their wonderful salad dressing.
At home we have lettuce , cucumber , tomato, lots of onion, avocado , salad dressing with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I wouldn't want a salad without greens. Takes all sorts.

Mollygo Wed 23-Sept-26 13:57:27

I wouldn’t want a salad without greens, but I agree that naming salads helps.
I wouldn’t order Tabbouleh salad because of its contents. I do like to make Greek Salad and Salad Niçoise.
My mum would be fascinated to know that what she served as a salad would now class as a Chef’s Salad, though we only had one meat, usually ham.

Franbern Fri 09-Oct-26 08:56:35

I enjoy salad, and feel I am eating healthily when it is my main meal of the day. Need several different colours, so, green for mixed crisp lettuce and some baby spinach. Also, cucumber, spring onions, mange tout, red with baby tims, red pepper, can also have orange pepper, shredded beetroot then can add in things like grapes, and/or dried fruit, seeds, walnuts, shredded carrot.
I use a good quality purchased maionnase, and also some coleslaw. If I want to 'pad' it out with carbs will also include a few small, boiled new potatoes or some pasta.

Greyduster Fri 09-Oct-26 09:49:35

I try not to ‘regard’ a salad if I can help it. I have one inflicted on me once a week by DD, which usually has grains and pulses, cherry tomatoes, baby cucumber, beetroot, avocado, and some sort of soft cheese. I think she’s getting her own back for all the times she was made to sit at the table and finish something she didn’t like😂!

Witzend Fri 09-Oct-26 09:57:06

A side salad - usually lettuce and possibly in this house shredded white cabbage, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, red or yellow peppers, radishes if we have any.

In winter I usually use all white cabbage. Keeps so much better in the fridge.

TerriBull Fri 09-Oct-26 10:01:52

Salade Nicoise is my favourite salad of all, although I have to leave out tuna and anchovy if we have a vegetarian with us. I like a really nice potato salad with fresh chives. If I order a salad in a restaurant as a side, I do occasionally, Cote do a nice green salad, it's only ever as good as its dressing.