Gransnet forums

Food

First food mixer - any hints and tips appreciated please.

(4 Posts)
Mattsmum2 Tue 06-Oct-26 21:17:39

If you’re doing a sponge, don’t over mix it. I find the most important bit is to beat the butter well at first then don’t over do it afterwards, have fun.

Lixy2 Tue 06-Oct-26 20:57:45

Thank you. I had had visions of an icing sugar cloud in the kitchen!
The forecast is for rain tomorrow so maybe I’ll have a go at a sponge. Fingers crossed!

teabagwoman Mon 05-Oct-26 12:17:46

I have a very elderly Kenwood stand mixer so my tips may have been superseded but I find that a damp cloth underneath stops the mixer ‘walking about’ on the worktop especially if you’re making bread in it, and always remember to start mixing on a slow speed until flour or anything similar is mixed in. Failure to do so can result in a very messy kitchen! If mixing in icing sugar hold a tea towel over the top to start with.

Lixy2 Mon 05-Oct-26 08:47:25

My AC joined forces and kindly bought me a Kenwood Go. I have never used a food mixer, relying on my trusty wooden spoon.
I understand the basic mechanics, but any hints and tips from people who have experience would be very welcome.
Thank you.