Gransnet forums

Food

Takeaways

(17 Posts)
NanaPlenty Tue 07-Apr-20 16:06:30

How does everyone feel about ordering takeaways during this virus? I’d love one for a change and a break from cooking but husband says he’s not sure it’s a good day idea.

rosenoir Tue 07-Apr-20 16:18:27

I think it is a good idea to support local businesses but I am too wary of having one because of the number of people that have had contact with the food and containers.

Many do though,including members of my family,and have been fine.

Pikachu Tue 07-Apr-20 16:20:00

I’m wary too,

SalsaQueen Tue 07-Apr-20 16:20:37

It wouldn't bother me to have a takeaway (although we don't usually do that - I cook every evening), and I'd think that so long as a place has got a 5* food hygiene certificate, it should be fine.

Riverwalk Tue 07-Apr-20 16:23:04

It's no different from having a supermarket delivery I would have thought - assuming you order from a reputable restaurant that you know.

Purplepixie Tue 07-Apr-20 16:24:15

All of the takeaways near to us have closed for the duration but I could murder a Chicken Satay! I have just been doing all of the cooking and quite enjoyed it but it is early days yet. Mmmmm a takeaway, now you have put something in my head. X

NanaPlenty Tue 07-Apr-20 16:37:04

They are my thoughts exactly purplepixie - I’m thinking order - it’s contactless delivery-put the food into our own dishes. Dispose of bag and containers-wash hands and pop food through microwave before eating. ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Apr-20 17:40:11

We have had Indian and Chinese food delivered since lockdown, wipe over containers with a bleach solution pop them in the oven for 10 minutes.

I do want to support local businesses, we have our local tea rooms also delivering, haven't tried that yet but intend to soon.

GagaJo Tue 07-Apr-20 18:02:30

Not a takeaway eater before the virus, so not that bothered about having one now. Mainly because I've never really had a good takeaway. It had occurred to me to get a pizza delivery for my daughter (I'm not a fan of pizza) but haven't got round to it.

Plus, I'm hyper careful about grocery deliveries, so it seems a bit daft to relax the rules for a take away.

phoenix Tue 07-Apr-20 18:12:28

One of the gastro pubs in the area are offering takeaways, would like to support them, but they don't actually deliver as far as us, and don't want to drive to collect, although some do.

Bit catch 22, really.

Lynnipinny Fri 10-Apr-20 11:06:06

Our local takeaways have been closed we got ready made from supermarket it was ok but not the same. I added extra garlic and put in the oven as the meat was not soft enough. Any meat chopped or tofu or veg chunks marinaded in crushed garlic peanut butter and chilli sauce. Wrapped in foil and baked or grilled is the perfect satay better than any takeaway. I love to cook from scratch every day Jamie's programme on Channel 4 has been a quite helpful.

jusnoneed Fri 10-Apr-20 11:45:57

We have had a couple meals delivered, makes a nice change from cooking.
A lot of our local pubs are doing take out meals to try and get some income, not tried those. They are mostly collect.
A local artisan baker is doing a roaring trade with his hand made pizza's (and breads), my son is trying to get one delivered to sample. We did have some of his sour dough bread a couple days ago and that's very good.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 11:53:54

Never eat them.

timetogo2016 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:59:38

I would`nt risk one tbh.
You just don`t know how many hands have been involved.
Best to be safe than sorry.
HAPPY EASTER TO ONE AND ALL.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 10-Apr-20 12:08:59

My friend's son who lives in Bejing and was in lockdown for months, said their takeaways were open throughout and they ordered food. They discard the food containers and heated food in a hot oven and they were fine.

BradfordLass73 Sat 11-Apr-20 12:26:36

All ours, without excepton, closed as soon as we went to Level 4, now a fortnight ago.
Not one single restaurant, cafe, takeaway etc is open...nationwide.

That's not been lifted yet, so we have no choice but to lump it!

Chewbacca Sat 11-Apr-20 12:30:55

Can't remember who it was that pointed out, on a similarly themed thread yesterday, that a takeaway meal is possibly less likely to be a risk than the food you get from the supermarket. Less people will have handled it, breathed all over it, put it back etc. As long as the takeaway has an excellent food hygiene rating, and they confirm that they've got the correct safe working conditions in for their staff, I can't see much difference to a supermarket shop.