Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten free bread recipes

(6 Posts)
Knopflerfan Mon 14-Jun-21 16:36:16

Hello! This may have been covered before but I’m fairly new to GN. If anyone has a good gluten-free bread recipe I’d be really grateful.
We live in France so tips like “Dove’s Farm Gluten-free flour” are sadly not any use to me! But general help with type of flour, recipes etc would be really welcome.
I don’t use a bread maker, I use my Kenwood and bake in the oven. Our local boulangerie makes great G-F bread but only twice a week and at a rather inflated price, so I’d like to have another try (and maybe not produce a tasteless brick this time??)

Newatthis Mon 14-Jun-21 16:54:41

Hi, I have just been told I have to go GF so would love some help too. Where I live there is hardly anything I can buy so would like hints and tips from any GF people out there please - including the bread recipe also.

shysal Mon 14-Jun-21 18:10:14

A good recipe appeared on GN a while ago, which caused me to buy the book from which it came for my DD. She loves this book and the bread, also following the author on social media.

How to make anything gluten free

Lin52 Mon 14-Jun-21 19:30:58

Hello, I follow John Kirkwood on You Tube, he is a brilliant cook of 40 years experience. His many recipies are well set out with clear concise video instructions. He has an excellent recipe for a Gluten free loaf, using basic ingredients.
www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIZ1PU9g27a-dEwCUxWC4A

Gutenberg Tue 15-Jun-21 11:41:25

Going gluten-free was one of the best things I ever did for my health. It takes time to learn new recipes but there are plenty out there. I'd recommend looking at Tom Kerridge's Dopamine Diet book (or find links online). He has two gluten-free recipes - an almond loaf bread and coconut flour wraps. I've now had to go a step further and avoid all grains so I am following keto bread recipes (which Tom Kerridge's recipes are but I'm currently making ones made just with linseed). I'm not sure I can recommend the linseed ones for flavour or texture but they are supposed to be good for you! There's a lot of trial and error involved with many recipes, and some gluten-free books can be impossibly complicated, using many different flours (I think Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall's is). Note that some flours don't store well (chestnut flour for example can apparently go rancid). I think the Kerridge ones are nice and simple and work well - as well as tasting great.

Knopflerfan Wed 16-Jun-21 10:42:33

Thanks for all the suggestions- I’ll check them out, and let you know!

I got advice from a very handsome young man in the organic food shop here, and paid quite a few euros for three different non-gluten flours plus a packet of something that’s meant to help it rise.
As I was leaving he said cheerfully “Do take a photo if you get it to work, and pop back to see me —- mine always turn out like bricks.”
Hmm.