Gransnet forums

Food

Size of Food Containers.

(27 Posts)
jeanio Sun 24-Oct-21 19:53:18

I don't know why portion sizes for foods like coleslaw are so big. I often have to throw away food because of the sell by date. There should be smaller portions on sale for pensioners or people who live alone. It would also save us money.

Baggs Sun 24-Oct-21 19:55:42

Can't you eat it over two or three days if it's too much for one sitting?

Nonogran Sun 24-Oct-21 20:34:35

I’m also a coleslaw fan who ditches it because there’s just too much even for more than one sitting. I think portion sizes are a common issue for folks who live alone, like my mum.
I also get fed up with supermarkets who offer 3 for price of 2 & offers like that. For example, buy 3 for £10 or one for £4.00. Morrison’s do this quite often. I don’t want 3 because I only have a small freezer but I resent paying the premium for one.
Grrrrr.

Kim19 Sun 24-Oct-21 20:48:08

I choose the smallest pack I can with the longest use by date thereon. Works for me.

MissAdventure Sun 24-Oct-21 20:53:17

I just use coleslaw over the course of a few days.
I thought everyone did?

silverlining48 Sun 24-Oct-21 21:03:03

I throw very little if any food away and tend to take littke notice of use by dates often, using the sniff test to decide. If it’s coming close to its date and I know I won’t be able to eat it in the next few days I cook and freeze or just freeze,

JaneJudge Sun 24-Oct-21 21:08:11

co-op seem to do smaller, shallower pots. I suppose if you bought one though it has to be opened within 3 days of opening anyway

Mattsmum2 Sun 24-Oct-21 21:19:42

I always do a weekly or fortnightly menu with shopping to match. I rarely waste any food as I shop for what I need. The downside is if someone drops by! As some have said I try to get the latest use by date and a sniff or taste if things go a bit over. I freeze root ginger (grate what I need from frozen) and whole chillis. I batch cook and freeze what I don’t use, having a freezer eating week every so often.

highlanddreams Sun 24-Oct-21 21:38:49

I don't buy it ready made as I find it can be too vinegary and seems to burn my lips so I'll make some if I want it as it's simple enough and I can make small amounts.

I totally agree with you Nonogran those 3 for 2 or buy 2 get 2nd half price etc offers make my blood boil. For instance my local shop sometimes offers bread 2 for £2 or £1.69 each so of course you will buy 2, but then it's going to leave you short to buy other things. It's the same for cheese butter & milk they all have similar "offers" that don't really help you that much week on week if your income is very low or you live alone and don't have freezer space to take advantage etc

Blossoming Sun 24-Oct-21 22:03:14

I hate coleslaw. Problem solved.

crazyH Sun 24-Oct-21 22:04:03

The best creamy coleslaw is the one from Aldi ? no, I don’t work for them …..

jeanio Sun 24-Oct-21 22:33:54

I do use it over a couple of days but maybe I should not be so paranoid over sticking to use by datessmile

MayBeMaw Sun 24-Oct-21 22:44:00

those 3 for 2 or buy 2 get 2nd half price etc offers make my blood boil. For instance my local shop sometimes offers bread 2 for £2 or £1.69 each so of course you will buy 2, but then it's going to leave you short to buy other things

You don’t have to buy them. smile If you only want one just buy one!
Of course if you want to take advantage of an offer you could always get together with a friend and split the cost.

PollyTickle Mon 25-Oct-21 10:28:27

I'm the only one who likes coleslaw in our house. Tesco do a small size which I eat over three days, no waste.
Those 3 for 2 offers and the like are annoying but I suppose young people, with children to feed, need those offers more than we need to buy one of everything.
The fairest way would be to just drop all the prices to one level but marketing doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 10:34:19

I carry on eating it until the mayo goes "fizzy".
Waste not, want not! blush

Lesley60 Mon 25-Oct-21 10:43:16

CRAZY H, Aldi also have the best steaks to in my opinion, fillets melt in the mouth I prefer them to M&S and Waitrose and much cheaper

BlueBelle Mon 25-Oct-21 10:46:20

I keep it quite a few days in the fridge so don’t usually throw it away Yes MissA I eat it till it’s gone too
Too much thrown away

jaylucy Mon 25-Oct-21 10:49:54

Tesco do a small tub that is enough for a couple of days. I love coleslaw and ordered it by mistake one time.
Worst thing with packaged salads like this is when they separate after a couple of days and there's a watery mess in the bottom of the tub - yuck!

M0nica Mon 25-Oct-21 10:54:02

I find that bought col slaw has far too much mayonnaise on it - and it is so easy to make your own, especially if you only want one small portion. Finely chop a small quantity of white cabbage, grate in some carrot, and onion, if you want it then add a small quantity of your favourite mayonnaise or salad cream.

A piece of part grated carrot or part used onion can go in the fridge to be used in other dishes. Cabbage can be served as a veg or incorporated in so many dishes. You could also have fresh col slaw several days running.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 10:59:50

I do that too.
Coleslaw is one of my favourite things to eat.
Tub or fresh, I love both.

PollyTickle Mon 25-Oct-21 19:54:35

On the odd occasion I make my own coleslaw, usually if I’m entertaining I throw in sultanas too.
Entertaining, who am I kidding, thanks for that COVID.

Franbern Tue 26-Oct-21 09:44:14

I also add sultanas when I make up my own coleslaw. I make it simply with onions, white cabbage and carrot and mayonnaise. Put in pyrex bowl and kept covered in 'fridge -usually make enough for about three days use.

I have a salad most evenings as the main part of my supper/tea, and find the small containers of coleslaw can just about be spread out over a weeks usage.

I do not find the 3for2, etc offers annoying. Not for me as I live by myself and only have a small freezer, but so useful families, and must help a little bit for them.

I know the price of virtually everything I normally purchase 'as part of my weekly shop. Only ever buy 'special offers' if they are things I would normally purchase and then will purchase extra, provided I can store them. So things that do not need freezing or refrigeration I will purchase when on offer. (eg: the green tea I use is sometimes on offer and I will then purchase several packs to put away).

As I live alone, I do not find that food is a difficult part of my weekly expenditure. I buy mostly fresh food and cook from scratch. Reckon that I spend approximately £5 per day for three good meals.

travelsafar Tue 26-Oct-21 09:49:03

i sometimes make my own too. I grate white cabbage, onion and carrot, put aside enough for immediate use and then freeze the rest in usable sizes. Then when defrosted just add mayo and anything else i may fancy i.e. nuts, sultarnas. This way you more or less have a ready supply for coleslaw.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Oct-21 09:56:59

I didn't realise the cabbage and carrots could be frozen raw. smile
That's worth knowing, thanks.

M0nica Tue 26-Oct-21 10:04:59

MissAdventure Anything can be frozen -once-. If it doesn't work, you won't do it twice.

I will freeze almost anything, whether I am told it cannot be frozen or not. public authorities and manufacturers have to be over cautious.

All the produce from my garden goes into my freezer raw, except apples and those I stwe befroe freezing simply because raw apple is so bulky compared with stewed apple.