Gransnet forums

Food

Ready Steady Cook!

(13 Posts)
Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 17:06:02

Does anyone fancy a thread where we post ingredients we want to use up but are a bit stumped for inspiration, as though we had a bag of things as they do on Ready Steady Cook?

I'll start - I have 2 aubergines and some smoked cheese that I'd like to use. The meal needs to serve 2, be vegetarian, and I also have basic store cupboard things such as tinned tomatoes, onions, chickpeas and so on and a full spice rack. I am in a caravan (or lodge if you are a salesperson grin) but have access to an oven, a microwave and an air fryer.

Any ideas welcome, or post your own bags of ingredients for us to consider.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Aug-22 17:09:13

I am sure you could adapt the recipe for parmigiana and use the smoked cheese instead of Parmesan.

Lots of variations are available online.

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 17:16:52

I know there is a lot online, but thought it might be fun for people to suggest something a bit different smile. Family favourites or just inspiration that pops into their heads.

It might not work, though - who knows.

V3ra Wed 17-Aug-22 17:26:01

I suggest you slice the aubergines in half and cook them like a baked potato, then top them with a ratatouille-style mix of the onions, tomatoes and any other veg (mushrooms? peppers?) and finish off with the smoked cheese melted on the top ?

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 17:46:42

That sounds delicious, thanks!

I do have mushrooms and a jar of peppers, so that would work nicely. I also wondered about a lasagne, using the aubergines instead of pasta (sliced and air fried) with a tomato sauce and maybe a tin of chickpeas added for bulk.

Does anyone else want to play? Either with their own ingredients or mine is fine.

Elizabeth27 Wed 17-Aug-22 17:48:27

Good thread idea, one I haven't seen before. I could not improve on Vera’s suggestion.

I have eggs, cooked salmon,2 mushrooms, and feta that need using up today.

Very limited store cupboard.

grannylyn65 Wed 17-Aug-22 17:53:12

Yes to lasagna

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 17:59:15

I have eggs, cooked salmon,2 mushrooms, and feta that need using up today.

Salmon omelette is the obvious choice? I have used cubed feta in an omelette before and it worked well.

You could make a mushroom sauce to serve with it?

MiniMoon Wed 17-Aug-22 18:00:51

Elizabeth, what about a quiche. It could even be a crustless one if you don't want to make pastry.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Aug-22 18:01:49

I was thinking of an omelette too, with salmon, sliced mushroom and feta filling.

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 18:23:11

A quiche would work well, too. Or salmon and feta fishcakes with a mushroom sauce?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Aug-22 18:46:50

Oh yes, the fish cakes sound yummy!

Doodledog Wed 17-Aug-22 19:11:00

I keep suggesting mushroom sauce, but much depends on the size of the mushrooms, doesn't it? grin. 2 button mushrooms wouldn't make much of a sauce, but portobello ones would.