Gransnet forums

Food

Fig glut. What to do with them?

(15 Posts)
singingnutty Fri 19-Aug-22 18:51:47

We’ve just been away for several days and on return have about a dozen figs ripe and more to come. I would appreciate ideas on how to preserve them if possible. Can they be bottled? I do have Kilner jars. Any ideas and advice will be very welcome.

Farmor15 Fri 19-Aug-22 18:55:43

I'm in the same situation with even more! I've done roasted figs stuffed with blue cheese a couple of times and made fig rolls! Previously I made savoury plans (quiche style) which I froze. Will post again later with other ideas as just about to have dinner!

Farmor15 Fri 19-Aug-22 18:57:02

* flans, not plans

Casdon Fri 19-Aug-22 19:00:14

You can freeze them. When I’m dieting I quarter them, and eat them frozen instead of chocolate or ice cream, they curb a sweet tooth.

Farmor15 Fri 19-Aug-22 19:02:32

www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/top-10-ways-serve-figs

toscalily Fri 19-Aug-22 19:25:34

I wish I was your next door neighbour, I love figs.

toscalily Fri 19-Aug-22 19:26:19

Homemade fig jam is delicious.

Zoejory Fri 19-Aug-22 19:27:39

toscalily

I wish I was your next door neighbour, I love figs.

Ditto!

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 19:32:20

We used to get a glut in France, I made a spicy fig chutney and figs in brandy, lovely.

GrannyLaine Fri 19-Aug-22 19:35:24

I have my best crop ever. I like this recipe by Nigel Slater for pickled figs. You can start eating them after 2 or 3 days. I shall ignore the baked sardine bit though.
www.theguardian.com/food/2021/aug/22/nigel-slaters-recipes-for-pickled-figs-and-baked-sardines

Farmor15 Fri 19-Aug-22 20:06:08

Just picked another dozen in addition to dozen already in, and more used in last week or so. Going to make a bit of fig and rhubarb jam and might also try partially drying some in very low oven. Have already dried tomatoes - partial oven, then sun in hot weather we had last week.

Farmor15 Fri 19-Aug-22 20:44:15

Fig rolls came out very well and will probably keep a few weeks. Recipes online are for semi-dried figs, but I cut up my fresh ones and cooked for a while with a little sugar to reduce to a pasty consistency.

singingnutty Sat 20-Aug-22 23:05:28

Some good ideas here - thanks to all those who have replied. I have given some to family and friends and we had some with yoghurt this evening, but there are many more ripening so I will try out some recipes over the next week. We really like them with mascarpone cheese but after 2 holidays in 3 weeks we need to cut down a bit on rich food!

Farmor15 Sun 21-Aug-22 08:29:44

I made fig and rhubarb jam yesterday and it came out really well - it tastes and looks surprisingly like strawberry jam!

I also quartered some and put in a very low oven for about 4 hours to partially dry so they'll keep a bit longer. It's a pity that once they're ripe, they only last a few days.

Daisymae Sun 21-Aug-22 10:47:20

I have these figs in Cognac Syrup . Says good with a cheeseboard although it will probably be with ice-cream for us.