Gransnet forums

Food

Sticking to a budget

(139 Posts)
grace56580 Thu 07-Mar-24 08:44:22

After many years living abroad we returned to UK last year. To begin with we spoilt ourselves with the food that we couldn't get ( Takeaways etc...) very soon we found actually wasn't as good as we remembered! so went back to making everything from scratch. This last year has made us really aware we have to cut back, I get my OAP later in the year and MOH the year after. Everything is so expensive, I shop at Aldi & Lidl other supermarkets at the whoops section, I really don't know how people with kids cope. We have set ourselves a daily budget and will see how it goes, the Budget 2024 did nothing for us.

keepingquiet Thu 07-Mar-24 08:52:33

I used to budget when my kids were younger. Recently I never thought too much about my spending, though I don't have a lavish lifestyle!

I finished work in June last year and I am really shocked at how little my money can get me these days, even with my SP and work pension I am not well off. I haven't bought new clothes for ages, can't even afford charity shops anymore!

I have started shopping later and getting food clearance items- it has saved me quite a lot but was shocked at how expensive bread is in the cheaper supermarkets and finished up returning to Tesco just for a loaf!

I am resisting having to account for every penny which I did when I was younger, but unless things change soon it is on the cards.

Not the carefree retirement I had imagined by any means.

fancythat Thu 07-Mar-24 09:47:48

Amongst the older people I know in their 60s and early 70s, there seems to be quite a big difference in "income" or perhaps I should say incomings, between those on a "good" work pension, and those who either dont have any work pension, or a small one.

The former are going on cruises. The latter are somewhat struggling, and being careful with how they spend money.

M0nica Thu 07-Mar-24 10:21:39

We have a market in a local town that consists mainly of one big fruit and veg stall. they always have a large area where fruti and veg are piled up in plastic bowls at £1.50 a bowl - it has just gone up from £1 a bowl. Although it is fruit and veg that is near its sell on the stall date, I find that 'hard' veg: onions, root veg, and the like will last a week or more. Softer veg: tomatoes aubergine, easy peel ornages etc will keep fresh for a week at least in the fridge.

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 07-Mar-24 10:49:38

Hi, hope you are enjoying being back in the UK. Costs for everything have gone up haven't they but at least some are becoming reasonable again - butter, cheese & milk. I honestly find these three things save me 'big bucks' on budgeting-
1 meal planning, also good for using up larder and freezer use by dates.
2 cooking a little extra of say chilli con carne and having it with a jacket spud the next day.
3 resisting the temptation to eat out or take-awaygrin

annsixty Thu 07-Mar-24 10:53:35

My GD has recently bought herself a car (she lives with me) and on Monday she took me to Aldi for the first time in many years.
I have been having Sainsbury’s delivered for at least 6 years.
I was surprised that my trolley was very little cheaper than Sainsbury’s.
I joked with her and said I had expected it to come to about £40 instead of the £60 for very little, it was small as I was lost and couldn’t find what I wanted.
I have also cut extravagances out and I have a decent pension income.

Fair2good Thu 07-Mar-24 11:29:42

I can remember getting a trolley full of food for less than twenty pounds. Nowadays you can spend £40 and carry it in one shopping bag.
Mind you - I confess to being old enough that when I used to buy cigarettes they were just over a pound for 20 !

annsixty Thu 07-Mar-24 12:15:30

And I am old enough to remember people putting 10 shilling’s worth of petrol in their car. (50p for youngsters)

grace56580 Thu 07-Mar-24 13:12:06

Thank you all for your messages, we have decided to get cash out, make menus. Were very lucky live near to Supermarkets and we shop daily. Today I went into Iceland and Farmfoods to be honest there is not much in it comparing it with Aldi/Lidl. MOH has been looking at Jamie Oliver's meals for a £1 ! I dont like the thought of living on processed food so maybe this is the way ahead, I like cooking so up for the challenge.

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 07-Mar-24 13:59:11

Ooh grace56580, definitely get OH researching recipes & cooking! Sounds like a win-win to me smile

Georgesgran Thu 07-Mar-24 15:53:21

Iceland offer a 10% discount on Tuesdays to the over 60s. That might help, if you like shopping there.

Sago Thu 07-Mar-24 16:57:35

I think shopping every day is more expensive.
A good weekly meal plan means no waste.

We had a butchers chicken on Tuesday as a traditional roast.
This made a chicken, chorizo and butter bean stew last night.
Tonight is a chicken and lentil curry with spinach and as we speak I have celery soup in the making, I made chicken stock as Lidl were doing beautiful bunches of celery for 69p, two bunches will make plenty of soup.
Tomorrow we will have soup and left over cheese for supper with the bread I made today.
The chicken was £8.50.
I keep plenty of dry and tinned/ ingredients so I don’t have to nip out and spend any more than I have to.
Processed food is not necessary.
I buy double cream whenever it’s reduced or on offer and make butter to freeze.
Lidl often do XXL gammon/pork/beef joints I buy these and cut them in half or thirds and freeze.
Your freezer is your friend when meal planning.
I do prefer to use the butcher but sometimes the deals are too good to refuse.

AreWeThereYet Thu 07-Mar-24 17:26:24

We do much the same Sago. But we also pop into the supermarket when we're passing to pick up a bargain if there is one. I started making homemade butter during lock down when the price rose so much but don't freeze it as we use it a lot.

I was taught to budget growing up, and taught my children the same. When the children were very young it was a necessary evil to ensure they got well fed and clothed. Now it's just part of life and means we don't get nasty surprises.

fancythat Thu 07-Mar-24 19:27:23

I used to vary the different supermarkets when I could, to save a few pounds.
I dont bother so much any more. The price differences are not as great as they once were, in my opinion.

Lidl may still be a bit cheaper compared to some. But they stock everything I might want, so may then have to top up elsewhere.

fancythat Thu 07-Mar-24 19:27:49

But they dont stock, that should say.

BlueBelle Thu 07-Mar-24 19:42:28

Anyone use the Toogoodtogo app ?

MissAdventure Thu 07-Mar-24 19:55:46

Yes, I've used it 🙂

crazyH Thu 07-Mar-24 19:57:46

I live on my own, so I don’t budget too much. The only two fruits I like are Mango and Banana. And satsumas, ofcourse. £1 a mango is the norm. The sweetest mango is the Alphonso Mango. Unfortunately, it’s not available in Tesco or Asda. I have to drive 40 mins to an Asian store, so it’s not often.

Katie59 Thu 07-Mar-24 20:32:29

Grace
Where did you live before that was cheaper than UK everywhere I’ve been seems more expensive with VAT on food.

We don’t especially need to save cash on food but we always take advantage of discounts and offers, in addition we have a few productive fruit trees and small veg garden to stock the freezer. We eat well for not very much.

LovelyLady Sat 09-Mar-24 12:53:52

We mainly only eat reduced food. We have the staples that are usual price but if something is reduced it’s soon in the freezer. We shop in Lidl, Iceland, Aldi, Tesco and occasionally Waitrose. The Co-op is great too. Almost Never Sainsbury’s
We just shop around. If there’s a free car park I’m happy.
I never use the self serve checkout and puts me off our local Sainsbury’s.
Sadly our local independent shop is too expensive.
We have fresh veg from the local allotment- so only cost’s commitment.
It’s not easy living on a pension.

jocork Sat 09-Mar-24 13:07:41

I shop at different supermarkets to take advantage of different offers. Loyalty cards save quite a bit at Sainsbury's and Tesco. I often shop late in the day to look for yellow stickered items and I go to Iceland on a Tuesday ever few weeks and stock up with what is cheaper there. I do find some of their fresh produce is mory expensive though and so it is important to compare carefully.
I occasionally get things via the Olio app which is where volunteers collect yellow stickered items from the supermarkets at the end of the day and post them on the app. They are given away free but you have to collect at a time to suit the volunteer.

Amalegra Sat 09-Mar-24 13:15:23

Living alone, I don’t really budget as such although I do shop around for bargains, special offers and reduced items. I have a very small and rather ‘dainty’ appetite these days and have to tempt myself to eat as I’m rarely very hungry. So there are certain items that could be considered expensive that I buy, for example good jam, yoghurt, bread, coffee etc. I rarely eat meat because I don’t often fancy it and even then it’s chicken, so I save money there. Sometimes I think I spend too much but then I look over my spreadsheet and realise that with little meat, no alcohol (don’t drink) and no takeaways, it’s actually not too bad! I see the challenges faced by those with families (my daughter and her husband have four children) and I realise how fortunate I am.

Stansgran Sat 09-Mar-24 13:15:29

DH read out that Greggs were doing end of day leftover bags for £2.something If you are near one and like their stuff it might be a fun surprise takeaway . I’ve never tried them although I live in the northeast but I limit my shopping as much as I can.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Mar-24 13:17:44

Thats how the toogood app works.
Shops and restaurants sell off goody bags for reasonable prices.

Very worthwhile, if you happen to live near one of them.

paddyann54 Sat 09-Mar-24 13:19:27

I have always kept household accounts ,I can tell you that in May 2020 my grocery bill for a month( not counting meat and fish) was £340.18 ,in May 2022 it had risen to £580.96 and last May it was £779.95 .
This doesn't cover my butcher or fishmonger or catfood and litter etc .Nor does it account for the missing things from the supermarket shelves.There are just 2 of us here most days although I usually have one of my kids and family for dinner once a week .
I shop at Morrisons mainly and dont buy processed or ready made food.I dont know how young families with children can cope withese rises in price