Gransnet forums

Food

Uncooked cheese cake

(13 Posts)
mokryna Wed 27-Mar-24 16:38:47

I have decided to serve an uncooked cheese cake for 11 this French Easter, with fresh fruit as a side. It is ages since I last made one and I have enough cooking to do without adding to the main course. Would you use formage blanc for cream cheese?
Do you have any fault free recipes. Thank you

LadyGaGa Wed 27-Mar-24 16:49:31

If you want something ridiculously easy, mix marscapone cheese with caster sugar and lemon juice. I use 350g cheese, 75g caster sugar and lemon to taste - just double up for bigger. It’s delicious served with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries (but with the price of fruit these days you might need to take out a mortgage 😂)

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:52:23

I use a can of condensed milk, a tub of Philadelphia cream cheese and as much lemon juice as you can stand.

My mouth is watering!!

Redhead56 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:56:58

Carnation website the recipes are faultless every time.

Esmay Wed 27-Mar-24 20:09:15

Mary Berry has a wonderful recipe for a no bake cheesecake.
I've used apricots instead of raspberries.
And I always make a base , which is half digestive and half ginger nut biscuit .

Sago Wed 27-Mar-24 21:36:26

Marscapone always.

mokryna Thu 28-Mar-24 07:12:53

Thank you for your ideas, I will look to see what is available in the local shops here. I have never bought Marscapone nor Philadelphia cheese considering France says it has a different cheese for every day of the year. Ginger nut biscuits is another item I will see if I can get.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 28-Mar-24 09:49:06

I have made an uncooked chocolate cheesecake for years. Actually I do bake the base - crushed bourbon biscuits and melted butter. The rest is melted chocolate, separated eggs, cream cheese, touch of sugar and double cream. Topped with more cream and grated chocolate. It’s a Cordon Bleu recipe and I’ve been making it for nearly 50 years.

Whiff Thu 28-Mar-24 10:57:33

My brother makes the best non bake cheesecake
300g digestive biscuits crumbled mix with
140g melted spread or butter.
100g icing sugar
600g soft cheese eg Philly
300g double cream
Line a large loose bottomed ( I used one that has spring opening on the side. ) with cling film. It's fiddly but makes it easier to get out of the tin.

Pressed crumb mix onto base and put in the fridge .

Whisk cream until firm add soft cheese and icing sugar mixing well.

I either crush some fruit will little icing sugar or cook in very little water and the sugar until thick. Once cold. Put some over the crumb base and add the cheesecake mix . Smooth top and then I spread the rest of the fruit over it.

Think I put my recipe for Raspberry Tiramisu on Whiffs recipes. Not just my recipes there . There is a recipe for cheesecake but the way she did it was brilliant upsidedown sorry can't remember who it was but it's there.

Auntieflo Thu 28-Mar-24 17:46:52

Mokryna. I hope you have found a recipe that you like, but here's one that I used to make and really enjoyed.
LEMON CHEESECAKE
8 ozs crushed digestive biscuits
1 oz melted butter
1 oz brown sugar
Half a lemon (or lime jelly), dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water
8 ozs Philadelphia full fat (or similar soft cheese)
5 ozs plain yogurt
2 ozs caster sugar
Rind and juice of 1 lemon

Mix the biscuits, butter and brown sugar together and press into the base of an 8" tin.
Leave in fridge to set. Overnight if possible
Meanwhile, mash the cheese and add the yogurt, jelly, caster sugar, lemon juice and grated rind.
Leave until almost set , then pour onto the biscuit base. Leave to set overnight.
Eat and enjoy

Redhead56 Fri 29-Mar-24 09:09:09

That will be lovely Auntieflo as your lemon pudding proves to be a firm favourite here.

JackyB Fri 29-Mar-24 09:40:52

I would have thought that the fromage blanc you get in France is a little too soft and may not keep its shape. Philadelphia or its equivalent is firmer. I shouldn't worry about French cheese snobbery. If it tastes nice, surely they will appreciate it anyway.

Esmay Fri 29-Mar-24 11:35:38

Just a thought :
you could strain your French fromage blanc to get rid of some of the whey - if it's too soft .
Icing sugar sweetens the cheese more easily than caster sugar .

If in doubt about serving a cheesecake to your French guests - it's perfectly acceptable to serve a cake bought from a patisserie .