Gransnet forums

Games

The Gransnet High Street

(9 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-Jan-19 20:50:37

This task was set on Radio southern Counties last night and callers came up with some fab and very funny ideas.

Imagine you are taking over the ownership and running of a shop in your High Street which sells any product or services you fancy. Do not worry about finance you have all the cash you want.

Here are some of the quirky suggestions.

A shop full of dogs that you can go in and pet.
A shop full of mirrors and ornaments that you can smash up, Greek style.
A soundproof Oasis where you can go and put your feet up.
A shop full of wind instruments where you can go and try a trumpet, clarinet etc. The shop would be called Come in for a blow! The radio presenter felt that some adjustment to the name would be advisable. ?

My suggestions are a shop that would take all your measurements and give you some app on your mobile so when you went into a clothes shop the items that would fit you perfectly would show on screen and save you hours of trying on.

My second shop would have comfy clean reclining chairs where you could put in some earphones and dial up a 20 minute meditation then someone would serve tea and tiny cakes.

However quirky or off the wall we want to hear your suggestions now.

Grannyknot Tue 08-Jan-19 22:37:28

This isn't quirky or off the wall, but I would love a "Ladies Restroom" like you used to get back in the day in the big department stores. It would need a lounge area with comfortable couches, fresh flowers/plants, and loos of course! Somewhere to sit and catch your breath, 're-organise your parcels, and talk to other women before the next sortie.

NanKate Wed 09-Jan-19 07:48:54

What a lovely idea Grannyknot I remember Restrooms like that I feel all nostalgic now.

Also I remember in Birmingham in the 1960s models would walk around the store and in the restaurant in the latest fashions. Those sort of genteel days have long gone and I am sad they have.

NanKate Wed 09-Jan-19 16:09:37

I thought lots of Gransnetters would have ideas for shops they would like to see, obviously this has not hit the mark.

I would like our Independent Book Shop to have small select Café in it, but it is not large enough. However we are lucky to have the shop. They are closing down the Oxfam Book Shop in out town which is very sad. There is something so comforting about touching and smelling a real book.

Cherrytree59 Wed 09-Jan-19 20:14:45

Sorry NanKate I think it's a sign of the times and the demise of the high streetsad

I don't visit the high street for shopping.
The Internet is my shopping experience in the comfort of my own home.
So even though Grannyknots rest-room sounds lovely,
I have potted plants and a comfortable couch to pass the time window shopping with a cuppa on a cold January day or night when the shops are closed

When visiting tourist areas or on a UK break, I do however enjoy mooching around independent bookshops (although most of my books are on my kindle) and also
love antique shops.

So my offering is an antique shop and cosy cafe with homemade cake and biscuits cupcake biscuit

NanKate Thu 10-Jan-19 14:09:47

That sounds great Cherrytree. I too use the Internet a lot it’s so convenient.

DanniRae Sun 13-Jan-19 13:21:24

I would love a shop full of wedding dresses and other beautiful dresses that you could just try on and then, maybe, have your photo taken. When I bought my wedding dress in 1970 I couldn't find my 'dream dress' and now they have such wonderful dresses that I would just like to try some on. I am 70 years old and a size 18 so maybe they could have special mirrors that make you look slimmer and younger?

MiniMoon Sun 13-Jan-19 13:29:44

On yes, me too DanniRae. I would love a dress up shop with all the latest styles and colours. I
I watch Say Yes to the Dress on Quest Red. Some of the dresses are gorgeous.

NanKate Sun 13-Jan-19 13:43:52

I would like a shop with 1960s clothes for me to buy, maybe a bit longer, but I just loved that era of fashion.