Gransnet forums

Games

Towns, Villages in uk with funny names

(118 Posts)
angelic Tue 11-Jun-19 08:26:25

Time for a giggle

Scratchy Bottom

BradfordLass72 Sat 24-Aug-19 05:33:37

I used to live near Six Days Only. It was my favourite walk, down Shay Lane and through Heaton Woods, with my dog Fred when I was a teenager.

The name comes from a notice put up by a local cottager, who used to supply nettle beer for passing walkers but would not sell on Sundays.

Eventually it became a place name. The Jacobean farmhouse opposite had a lintel marked '1632'.

An old lady in these cottages still made ginger beer for sale when I was haunting the area.
It was sixpence a glass but she'd refill it for threpence. smile

Behind the cottages was a large market garden run (and maybe owned) by our next door neighbour, Mr Gudgeon, who also helped me start a garden at home and gave me many chrysanthemum corms and good advice about care of plants.

His wife was Welsh with such a strong accent that no one understood her and she seemed very lonely.
I always felt very sorry because, as Mum said, 'she won't mix' which meant she had no friends. sad

MiniMoon Fri 23-Aug-19 11:05:11

I live near Once Brewed with a pub nearby called Twice Brewed.
In Northumberland we have some good ones, these are villages.
Bareless
Cottonshopeburnfoot. (all one word).
Deadwater
Duddo
Glororum
Ogle
Sheepwash
Spittal,
That's just a few of them.

BradfordLass72 Fri 23-Aug-19 06:28:25

Nice to see Indian Queens and London Apprentice featured on this thread - I lived quite near for many years.

Washaway Lane-end
Whyde-nan
Valley Truckle
Winnard's Perch
Sweethouse
Blue Anchor
Goonhaven
Playing Place
Praze-an-Beeble
Rose-an-Grouse
Greensplat (my sons used to think it was a good name for a place where cows lived)
Gweek
Summercourt (where they have a wonderful fair each year - or did when I lived there)
Bugle
Two-waters-foot
Doddycross
Portwrinkle

All old haunts of mine at one time....happy memories.

Grannycool52 Thu 22-Aug-19 20:03:36

I live near Stillorgan.

crazyH Thu 22-Aug-19 19:38:26

SHWT (in Wales)

henetha Thu 22-Aug-19 10:03:59

There's a No Mans Land in Cornwall. Also an Indian Queen.

Pantglas1 Thu 22-Aug-19 06:18:00

Well done Terribull - only two mistakes in your Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch! I’ve known Welsh speakers get it wrong worse than that!

My DH worked on a building site in Penisarwaun, north Wales, and had the most difficult time ordering materials from suppliers over the border.

sweetonion Thu 22-Aug-19 04:32:35

Oh please you guys....I’m dying laughing! The best I can think of in Oregon (USA) is Boring, Oregon. But hey, I wish we had a Sandy Balls! Or a Cockup ( other than a president)

Grandma2213 Thu 22-Aug-19 01:48:17

In a village near us there is 'Dick Lane'. When house hunting I decided not to buy a property for sale there!

TerriBull I bought a platform ticket from Llanfair PG station, when I lived near there many years ago, with the full name on it. It is a very long ticket and I am proud to say I can say it all!!

Amagran Thu 22-Aug-19 00:58:13

Near Shrewsbury there is a sign post to Cound and Harnage - I always think it looks like a spoonerism for Hound and Carnage.

LullyDully Wed 21-Aug-19 07:46:12

I love the road sign to The Wallops. They are near Andover.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 21-Aug-19 00:34:22

We have Booby's bay, Skinner's Bottom and Minions in Cornwall

Not forgetting Brown Willy but that's a summit on Bodmin moor.

callgirl1 Tue 20-Aug-19 23:57:58

Jump, in Yorkshire
I can`t remember the village, but somewhere in Cornwall there`s a Squeezy Belly Alley.
And just outside Boston, at Sibsey, a lane has been renamed, used to be called Goosemuck Lane.

MamaCaz Thu 13-Jun-19 09:59:00

Fools Nook on the Macclesfield Canal.

Annapops Wed 12-Jun-19 20:28:17

Muggleswick and Deaf Hill, both County Durham. We also have a Quebec and Toronto nearby too.

grandmac Wed 12-Jun-19 19:54:24

I used to live near Pratt’s Bottom, Ham and Sandwich. Caused much mirth from my sister and I when younger.

grandmac Wed 12-Jun-19 19:53:09

Ugley in Essex. There’s a sign there saying Ugley WI!!

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 19:27:55

Oh good, I can't remember who I recommended it to though.
It's years since we went.

jenpax Wed 12-Jun-19 19:25:05

Callistemon Yes the camp site at Sandy Balls is still there!

jenpax Wed 12-Jun-19 19:23:15

I live near the Upper and Lower Dickers! Purplepoppies

Annaram1 Wed 12-Jun-19 16:08:22

In Canada, Nanaimo has a road called Jinglepot,

EllanVannin Wed 12-Jun-19 11:51:39

Some of the names are amazing but I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if I lived in some of the areas. Hahahaha

Ameliarose Wed 12-Jun-19 11:34:27

Rooty Hill
Do town ,where all the inhabitants have variations eg dolittle

JackyB Wed 12-Jun-19 10:24:56

Not really a funny name, but we used to be amazed by the number of signposts marked "Mere 13". It's a little town in Wiltshire, and we passed near it on our way to the West Country for holidays. Wherever we were, it was always a mere 13 miles away, according to the signs.

One that had my kids rolling about in the back of the car (no child seats in those days!) was "Furzton" near Oxford. To German eyes it was quite funny:

"Furz" means "Fart" in German, and "Ton" means "sound".

Actually it was DH who noticed it and pointed it out to them.

oodles Wed 12-Jun-19 09:43:55

There's Besses o' t' barn near Bury and Catherine de Barnes near Solihull, which sounds a lot more aristocratic than the Besses. Nasty in Herts and Ugley, Cockfosters and Shellow Bowells in Essex . Has anyone said great Cockup in the lake District, ok it's a hill not a village, if so sorry for the mistake. In the greater Bradford area there is Fanny St and a discreet distance away there is Dick Lane. Scratch arse hill is in Kent near Sittingbourne, maybe that should be Standingbourne ! Pulloxhill in Bedfordshire often raises a laugh as do Blubberhouses, Crackpot and Giggleswick in Yorkshire and Prickwillow, in Cambridgeshire, and the Dickers, both upper and lower in Sussex. I once went through Frisby on the Wreake not at all rude which is an amazing name, not far from Bunny which are sort of between Nottingham and Loughborough. And my question if I hear Turnham Green is turn what green.