I used to live near Six Days Only. It was my favourite walk, down Shay Lane and through Heaton Woods, with my dog Fred when I was a teenager.
The name comes from a notice put up by a local cottager, who used to supply nettle beer for passing walkers but would not sell on Sundays.
Eventually it became a place name. The Jacobean farmhouse opposite had a lintel marked '1632'.
An old lady in these cottages still made ginger beer for sale when I was haunting the area.
It was sixpence a glass but she'd refill it for threpence. 
Behind the cottages was a large market garden run (and maybe owned) by our next door neighbour, Mr Gudgeon, who also helped me start a garden at home and gave me many chrysanthemum corms and good advice about care of plants.
His wife was Welsh with such a strong accent that no one understood her and she seemed very lonely.
I always felt very sorry because, as Mum said, 'she won't mix' which meant she had no friends. 
Favourite small town or village
Among all the scientific subjects, chemistry is the worst
LIMERICKS (April 2025 contd August 2026)
NEW - "New Limerick Thread II 2016" (following New Limerick Thread
