Gransnet forums

Games

GoodFriday: Miss MaryDoll's Marvellous Maths

(41 Posts)
Marydoll Fri 10-Apr-20 08:55:14

Good morning class. Here is today's puzzle, borrowed from CoolMaths4Kids.
Good for keeping children busy and using their brain during lockdown.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 08:22:21

Tossing and turning, Miss Marydoll
And woke up worrying that I hadn't done my homework

Marydoll Sat 11-Apr-20 08:20:38

Have you been out all night on the razzle, Callistemon? ?

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 07:54:58

Well, that was all a bit much for first thing in the morning
But I got the first one right after lots of scribbling and crossings out, sorry about all the ink blots Miss.

The second one was easy peasy!!

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 20:23:57

I have to copy them in a notebook with a nicely sharpened pencil and work them out like that.

Well, it would be nicely sharpened if I could find my pencil case.

willa45 Fri 10-Apr-20 20:21:03

What did I miss? Busy day today, cleaning out the garage and planting flowers.

Hmmm....Another interesting one! Alas, answers were already posted, so I guess it's either the following or I can cut and paste.

Solution:
I worked with first subtraction problem only and began by assigning all four numbers to the triangle first where only 4-2 or 2-1 produced circles of the same value. The triangle didn't satisfy for 6 because when I did the math, the two circles came up different.

The Square and Hexagon didn't satisfy for number 2. So that left 4 or 6 and the answer didn't have a minus sign, so the Hexagon had to be greater than the Square. Hence Hexagon =6 and Square =4. That left 1 and 2 for Triangle and Circle but only Triangle=2 fulfilled the condition (i.e. circles being equal in value), hence Circle =1.

Hexagon =6
Square =4
Triangle =2
Circle = 1

I think I'll take my chances with the emaciated lions.

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 20:07:14

I got them right Miss is that a first.
callistemon are you allowed chocolates if you haven’t done your school work? ?. Ok I will let you off this once ?
craftygranny thank you for so many little eggs. They’re lovely.
hazbeen here you are, I’ve saved some eggs for you ??

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 20:01:11

Now I've eaten too many Easter eggs; thank you CraftyGranny so I will do the puzzle tomorrow.

Marydoll Fri 10-Apr-20 19:13:41

CraftyGranny you are certainly the kindest in the maths class.

However, as the others will tell you, I cannot be easily bought but, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings, I will take ALL the eggs.
I would never admit it, but I'm actually very fond of my naughty girls. ?

Here are the answers, thanks all for contributing.

The third room, because lions starving for years would be long dead!

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 18:36:07

Sorry , I've been playing truant and now I am down to 10% battery power so I'll have to do today's while I'm in detention.
After dinner and a wine

CraftyGranny Fri 10-Apr-20 17:04:47

This is my Easter egg for Miss and all GNetters to share

CraftyGranny Fri 10-Apr-20 16:40:59

Oh Doodle, Your Easter Egg to Miss reminds me of when my sister and I bought our Mum a box of chocolate brazils for Easter. When we gave them to her there were only three left, which she shared with us. blush

CraftyGranny Fri 10-Apr-20 16:37:52

I forgot about the main puzzle in the excitement of my Sainsbury's delivery, ner ner na ner ner

CraftyGranny Fri 10-Apr-20 16:34:26

Soz Miss

The next three numbers are: 17, 19 and 23

HAZBEEN Fri 10-Apr-20 16:23:02

Miss yours was going to be a surprise now Doodle has gone and spoilt it.
Doodle I told you to keep that egg safe.

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 16:02:28

Here you are Miss. It’s from me and hazbeen. We had a bit each off the end to test if it was safe for you to eat.blush

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 15:58:49

Psst Hazbeen did we get one for Miss? ?. I tell you what, Miss has been so good to us, let’s give her a day off being naughty and you can give her my Easter egg. How’s that. ?

Marydoll Fri 10-Apr-20 15:51:52

What about My Easter egg?

HAZBEEN Fri 10-Apr-20 15:48:56

Thats ok Doodle thank you for helping anyway! Now I suppose you want thhat Easter Egg? Did I tell you it was only a creme one?!

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 15:43:08

Oh! ? blush sorry. Here you can have your wine and chocolate back.......I’ve only had one glass..wine ......and a nibble off the end of the chocolate ? ?

HAZBEEN Fri 10-Apr-20 15:34:20

But I bought you an Easter egg!

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 15:26:41

blush well I thought I deserved something for helping you hazbeen. Besides it’s not good for you to drink alcohol at your age is it Miss? ?

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 15:24:35

Oh both parts the same answer.
Now to the second question.

I’d say the lions because if they’ve been starving for years they’re probably dead. ?
Please Miss is your headache better today? Would you like me to stay at home so I don’t bring on your migraine? ?

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 15:20:28

First bit of question 1
Hexagon 6, square 4, triangle 2 and circle 1

HAZBEEN Fri 10-Apr-20 15:18:02

Doodle where are my bottles of wine? You were supposed to put them in the fridge! And I cant find my chocolate!

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 15:10:40

Sorry I’m lat too Miss ....I was helping Hazbeen with her shopping ?