Gransnet forums

Games

Very simple memory test, objects on a tray.

(14 Posts)
bikergran Sun 29-Nov-20 18:46:42

We used to play this many moons ago and I have just had a go.

Find 12 random objects from around the house/drawers etc etc.

Place them on a tray or plate or just on a table.

Spend 60 seconds trying to visualize them.

Cover up with towel and see how many you can rememeber.

I scored 8 out of 12 objects.

bikergran Sun 29-Nov-20 18:47:31

It is better if someone else gets the objects (but of course if no one else there then) hmm

dogsmother Sun 29-Nov-20 18:51:11

Think this was known as “Kim’s game” when 8 was in girl guides.

Harris27 Sun 29-Nov-20 18:52:24

Yes it was good and we use this little concept at nursery where I work the kids love it!

Tweedle24 Sun 29-Nov-20 18:56:05

Yes. A favourite game in Girl Guides was Kim’s Game. Is it called after Kipling’s Kim?

bikergran Sun 29-Nov-20 19:09:10

At first one is thinking....oh easy peasy lol but.......alas

Lucca Sun 29-Nov-20 19:10:37

Did a FaceTime version of this ! Grandchildren like it.

SpringyChicken Sun 29-Nov-20 22:22:38

I used to play a variation of this game with the children. They studied the objects for a minute, then looked away while I removed one item. They had to name the item. Harder than it sounds!

TwiceAsNice Sun 29-Nov-20 22:24:38

We always payed this at my children’s birthday parties, it was a good game to calm down with after all the excited running around. Harder than you think

TwiceAsNice Sun 29-Nov-20 22:24:58

Sorry played not payed

michelle20 Thu 31-Mar-22 02:41:26

Thank you, OP, for sharing this! I'll have to try this next time for my grandfather. We've been trying some memory games from this article from Seasons Retirement, and he enjoys it. I'll try to add this game next time to switch things up.

Vanessa59 Thu 31-Mar-22 07:14:08

I remember that game too. I must try it with the grandkids. Some people have very good visual recall, others retain words with no pictures better. Our brains are all wired differently.

JackyB Thu 31-Mar-22 09:49:39

One of the games on Richard Osman's house of games is like this but with a twist. It must be even harder for the contestants under the pressure of cameras and people in the studio watching.

It is a brilliant way of training short term memory, so ideal for our age group. For the little ones it is just a bit of fun, but they never go upstairs and forget why they've gone, do they? - although running up and down the stairs twice in a row would be no hardship for them! For us, it's a way of hanging on to our marbles.

Sarnia Fri 01-Apr-22 08:17:01

I remember Watch with Mother had Picture Book on Monday afternoons and this game was often played.