TBH I’ve been to most places on my bucket list, except New York. And I might do that next year, fingers crossed. Problem is, my travelling companions have other plans ☹️
Good Morning Sunday 4th October 2026
UAE threatening Burnham over Man City
Hello Again!?
Third thread here - too early for a Summer Time Special; especially considering the current weather ?️☔
Okay, here goes:
Who is your favourite comedian, and your least favourite?
TBH I’ve been to most places on my bucket list, except New York. And I might do that next year, fingers crossed. Problem is, my travelling companions have other plans ☹️
4 in Liverpool (my home city) and 4 in Manchester where I live now. This doesn't count a year I spent in the USA as a visiting professor (lodging with academics) as I kept on my old flat in the UK. So Ive had 9 different addresses in all.
Do you plan to travel abroad next year?
I doubt if I will again as my mobility is not upto it.
Strangely I was talking to a friend this very morning about myself and my daughter making a trip to see the house I grew up in. It was on a brand new housing estate in Surrey and as we had moved from 2 rooms (mum, dad, my brother and I) you can imagine how thrilled we all were. This was 1952. I remember this house with such fond memories as I had a lovely childhood there 
How many different places have you lived? The above house was number 2 and there have been 2 more. I have been in the house I am in now for 51 years.
For a special invitation like that I would need a complete make over ! I would love to look sophisticated, just for once. So a very stylish long dress, not fussy or frilly, and my arms covered up with a stole or wrap. High heels (comfortable please!) and a pretty clip, or flower, in my hair.
Do you ever go and look at the house you grew up in?
Lamb and mint sauce with roast potatoes and all the trimmings with half a bottle of rose wine.
If you were invited to a red carpet evening affair what kind of outfit would you choose? Expense no object.
I would go for a dress (suitable to my age) but loose and comfortable. Probably a kaftan style in some luxurious fabric. And definitely a tiara!
Definitely on the sea front , or any waterway .
If you were on death row (!) what would you choose for your last ever meal ?
Shower, quick, easy, uses less water and I can use soap on a rope for those ‘green’ moments.
Assuming you can walk; a walk along the sea front or up hills in the countryside?
Yes, Bubble Bath Liquid - because I only take a shower -
Bath or Shower?
A train - they lull me to sleep.
Have you ever re-gifted a present and if so, what was it?
5 mins from bus stop, about 15 from railway station.
Bus or train if you had the choice ?
No, I've no aptitude for science, fact or fiction I'm afraid - though I've read a bit of Ray Bradbury who was very enjoyable, as was Douglas Adams.
How far away are you from your nearest bus stop or railway station?
Yes. I heard about something similar ages ago - in Japan they have rehab places for gaming addicts. Some people get into a terrible state - taking drugs so that they can play for longer; weeing into bottles…
Do you like sci fi films or books?
One test at a centre and two per week for work. I never quite avoid the gag reflex, but it’s over in a few seconds. Hope all goes well with your procedure.
A news article recently said there will need to be rehab clinics for people who are digital addicts. Do you think it’s likely?
I’m a martyr to anxiety too Danni. In fact, the thread about CBD gummies made me think about starting a thread for us anxiety sufferers.
What do you think?
I’d give my husband good health, and make my mobility and chronic pain better.
I can’t believe how poor our health is 
I’m going for a Covid test for the very first time today (in preparation for a hospital procedure).
How many swab tests have you done, and how did you find it?
Somewhere where the weather is sunny but not too hot. Where there is no Covid, no online abuse, no global warming, no racism and no cruelty to children or animals.......This place doesn't exist, does it? But I can dream 
If you could change one thing in your life, with a magic wand, what would you choose?
I would choose to be free from anxiety - one way or another it affects me every day.
Believe me, we played ‘hopscotch’ on the road (convent road).. No one on our street owned a car. This was mid 50s Btw, I am talking of a land far away.
Question: Which far-away land would you like to visit?
I run a small online antiques company so the lockdown just meant business as usual. There were no fairs or dealer visits of course but all the auction houses just went online.
Did you ever play street games as a kid?
I was a child in a working class district the late 1940s-early 1950s so few cars on the road and residential streets were much safer then. We children had an entire collection of street games and customs built up around them. It taught us a lot of things about fairness, taking your turn, and so on. Sadly all that has gone now.
Well it’s night here in Sydney and winter, it’s a clear sky as I can see the stars through the velux, 13 degrees and no wind. Today though was raining till mid morning then cloudy the rest of the day and 15. That’s awfully cold to me!
How did you keep yourself busy in lockdown?
Ha ha ha!!! ?
What’s the weather doing in your neck of the woods?
Comfort first, for sure.
Are you one of those who has a pristine home, envied by many ?
Question:
When it comes to clothes do you prefer comfort over fashion?
Believe it or not after a big think I remembered it was a pair of Mr R's underpants. He had had them so long that a couple of holes had appeared. I told him to chuck them out but, apparently, they are very comfortable so I repaired them. Well I like comfortable knickers so I knew where he was coming from 
Yes, I’ve actually been enjoying it more than normal. I think it’s the quiet and focus on what’s happening on the stage or something .
What’s the last thing you mended?
I always wanted to work on a farm. I once answered an ad in Farmer's Weekly and was offered an interview. But as it was 150 miles away my mother was very angry and locked me in my bedoom. I was 16 at the time.
Are you enjoying the Proms? Last night's Musicals special was wonderful.
I used to have a really good soprano voice - not so good now as Im in my 70s. But my headmaster at school did suggest a musical career (eg opera not theatrical). It would not have been practical given the years of training/expense.
What was you childhood dream for a job (regardless of whether you achieved it or not).
I always wanted to be a teacher. I later became a lecturer so I did achieve it in a way.
This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion
Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.