Gransnet forums

Games

How are you getting on with Wordle?

(77 Posts)
gransruleok Fri 18-Mar-22 10:11:44

Just couldn’t get yesterday’s Wordle - did you? Some days it’s quite difficult. Do others agree?

BlueBelle Sun 20-Mar-22 06:14:41

Well some intelligent person will have to tell me what Sersai means as Google doesn’t recognise it

BlueBelle Sun 20-Mar-22 06:09:07

I ve never heard of a word ‘Sersai’ I ll have to look it up

I use a different word each day but usually try to get at least two vowels especially an E which is the most used letter

Kim19 Sun 20-Mar-22 05:28:08

Quite interesting...... I have my son1 here visiting and we're both doing W. Yesterday I did it in 3. He took 4. He had a look at my attempts and said 'how on earth did you get to 3 from 2?' I said I had no idea but it was certainly a calculation and not random. I only do random if my first attempt reveals nothing. He then said 'Mmmm, funny way your mind works'. Probably true! Incidentally, 2 today. Now that really is my idea of fluke. Sure, some thought but so many options at that stage.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Mar-22 04:25:16

It was ‘movie’

Dempie55 Sat 19-Mar-22 14:33:06

gransruleok

But did anyone get yesterday’s - (Thursday) ?

I think that was the French word?

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Mar-22 14:28:38

You’ve got a fabulous percentage of 2’s there GA, well done.
I’ve done over 60 Wordles and got the same number of 2’s as you

grannyactivist Sat 19-Mar-22 12:03:01

I haven’t played every day, but often my husband and I sit on opposite sides of the room and see who can get the answer first. He’s away today so I’ve just done it on my own and decided I think better without the distraction. Getting the answer in one go is sheer luck, two is a stretch, so my aim is to get the correct answer in three if I can.

Elegran Sat 19-Mar-22 11:45:26

I can usually get it in 4 or 5 or by the time I reach the last chance at 6, but sometimes there are so many choices that you run out of lines. I sometimes get it in three if I strike lucky with the first two lines. People who get it often in the first or second line must either have amazing vocabularies and analytical abilities, are psychic, or have seen the answer on Google.

I start off with a (different each time) word that mostly contains the letters that appear most frequently in the English laguage (e, t, a, i, o, n, s, h, r.) but also include a less frequent letter, as I imagine that they try hard to bamboozle us. I avoid using a letter twice in the first line, so as not to wasting a chance of a yellow. There are lists of comparative frequencies of the different letters to be found online, if you can be bothered.

When I have a few letters, I try out test arrangements of them, working my way through the alphabet with possibilities for the gaps, and without pressing enter until I hit on a likely candidate. It is sheer chance whether it is right.

MiniMoon Sat 19-Mar-22 11:23:51

I got the NYT Wordle in 5 tries today. My average is 4.
My niece andI are having a little competition on fb to see who has won each day.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Mar-22 10:46:17

Shysal thank you so much for that link.
My interest in Wordle is now rekindled.
This is my 10 letter Wordle game, which I’m very pleased with!

henetha Sat 19-Mar-22 10:16:22

I love Wordle, and all word games. I'm getting better at it gradually. I've been starting with 'stare', but some above ideas are better.

shysal Sat 19-Mar-22 09:24:47

I have been using www.wordlegame.org/uk for unlimited games any time with a choice of number of letters, so that I can do a few whenever I feel like it. I would say my average is 4 attempts but the occasional word I haven't heard of.

Out of interest what word do you start with? I read that 'sersai' is one of the best for 5 letters and it seems to work for me because it sorts out 3 vowels to start with.

hulahoop Sat 19-Mar-22 09:14:10

Done today in 3 ,I use a different start word daily funny how we all have our own tactics.

Lona Sat 19-Mar-22 09:04:55

I always start with the same word AUDIO, as it contains 4 vowels. I've played 43 and won 41.

Sara1954 Sat 19-Mar-22 07:13:02

Saxifrage
I know how you feel, my twelve year old granddaughter is very quick!
Just finished today’s, took six I’m afraid.

Grannynannywanny Sat 19-Mar-22 06:36:37

I’m still enjoying Wordle although it frustrates me at times. I’ve failed to solve it 3 times and mostly do it in either 4 or 5. I’ve only managed one 2 and I did weirdly guess it in 1 a few weeks back with a random word that popped into my head.

Oldwoman70 Sat 19-Mar-22 06:32:29

I usually try a few Wordle Unlimited first (which I think is easier) and it seems to get my brain in gear to do Wordle!

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Mar-22 06:13:32

Totally bamboozled by Semantle!
I’ll add it to the other games that are beyond me…

nadateturbe Sat 19-Mar-22 05:42:53

I'll have a look muse. Thanks.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Mar-22 04:38:36

crazyH

Try ABSURDLE …..it’s a longer game, if you see what I mean

I like Absurdle too!
I usually get it in 6 or 7

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Mar-22 04:36:15

I will have a look at Semantle muse

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Mar-22 04:35:19

I much prefer Nerdle too.
I actually find Wordle really annoying now, but do it out of habit and because I don’t want to loose my ‘streak’.
I can’t see many people carrying on with Wordle when the NYT include it with their subscription only games.

muse Sat 19-Mar-22 01:07:22

I find wordle more of a chance game.

I prefer the challenge of Nerdle too nadateturbe but for word problems I do Semantle and quordle every.

Sara1954 Fri 18-Mar-22 23:17:49

My daughter and I do it every morning at breakfast, I agree with Violet, it’s very annoying when four letters are correct, and the fifth could be almost anything. Just comes down to luck then.
I think I failed once, but have a pretty poor average of five.

Helen657 Fri 18-Mar-22 23:08:30

Had my best day to date with Wordle (got in 2) & Quordle (all 4 words in 6 lines) today, still managing to hang onto my Wordle 100% after 61 days!!! ??
I’m still on the original Wordle website not the NYT one, and the words on the 2 sites are different each day - only found that out today when comparing results with someone!!!