I went asleep last night
Tired from the fight
I've been fighting for tomorrow
All my life
Yea I woke up this morning
Feeling brand new
'Cause the dreams that I've been dreaming
Has finally came true
It's a new day
French school children on strike
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me
I am a rock I am an island
I went asleep last night
Tired from the fight
I've been fighting for tomorrow
All my life
Yea I woke up this morning
Feeling brand new
'Cause the dreams that I've been dreaming
Has finally came true
It's a new day
Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still, I'm gonna miss you
So take all your factory clothes to the ragman
Put on your old blue jeans
And take off that stupid look on your face
Everything I say I mean
And it'll be all right
We'll have a drink on a Friday night
It'll be oh so good
We'll do everything that I know we should
I met this girl on Monday
I took her for a drink on Tuesday
We are making love by Wednesday
And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday
We chilled on Sunday
Don't question why she needs to be so free
She'll tell you it's the only way to be
She just can't be chained
To a life where nothing's gained
And nothing's lost, at such a cost
Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still, I'm gonna miss you
Ruby suns and ruddycups
Cups of pearly-dewdrops' drops
Ruby suns and ruddy cups
Cups of pearly-dewdrops' drops
Oh the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And he shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old Macheath, babe
And he keeps it outta sight
You know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, though, wears ol' Macheath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red
Now, on the side walk, ooh Sunday morning, uh huh
Lies a body just oozing life, eek
And someone's sneaking 'round the corner
Could that someone be Mack the Knife?
When I say, "I love you, " you say, you better
You better you better you bet
When I say, "I need you, " you scream you better
You better you better you bet
You better bet your life
Or love will cut you just like a knife
Anything you can do,
I can do better
I can do anything
Better than you.
No, you can't.
Yes, I can. No, you can't.
Yes, I can. No, you can't.
Yes, I can,
Yes, I can!
Well, you can bump and grind, it is good for your mind
Well, you can twist and shout, let it all hang out
But you won't fool the children of the revolution
No, you won't fool the children of the revolution, no no no
Lock up the streets and houses
Because there's something in the air
We got to get it together sooner or later
Because the revolution's here,
And you know that it's right
We’re walking in the air
We’re floating in the moonlit
The people far below are sleeping as we fly
I’m holding very tight
Call out the instigators
Because there's something in the air
We've got to get together sooner or later
Because the revolution's here, and you know it's right
And you know that it's right
We have got to get it together
We have got to get it together now
Westering home and a song in the air
Light in the eye and its goodbye to care
Laughter o' love and a welcoming there
Isle o' my heart my own one
Tell me o' lands o' the Orient gay
Speak o' the riches and joys o' Cathay
Aye but its grand to be wakin' each day
To find yourself nearer to Islay
Westering home and a song in the air
Light in the eye and its goodbye to care
Laughter o' love and a welcoming there
Isle o' my heart my own one
The old hometown looks the same
As I step down from the train
And there to meet me is my mama and papa
Down the road I look and there runs Mary
Hair of gold and lips like cherries
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home
The old hometown looks the same
As I step down from the train
And there to meet me is my mama and papa
Down the road I look and there runs Mary
Hair of gold and lips like cherries
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home
You promised me, green grass, not to tell what you heard.
Whispering Grass, say! you can't keep your word, keep your word.
Why do you whisper, green grass?
Why tell the trees what ain't so ?
And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
Then the sign said, "The words on the prophets are written on the subway walls
In tenement halls"
And whispered in the sound of silence
So true, funny how it seems
Always in time, but never in line for dreams
Head over heels when toe to toe
This is the sound of my soul
This is the sound
I bought a ticket to the world
But now I've come back again
Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
Oh I want the truth to be said
Tell me it's not true
Say it's just a story
Something on the news
Tell me it's not true
Say it's just a dream
Say it's just a scene
From an old movie from years ago
From an old movie of Marilyn Monroe...
I don't want you to tell me just what you intend to do now
'Cause how many times do I have to tell you darlin', darlin'
I'm still in love with you now
I've been going out with a girl,
Her name is Julie
But last night she said to me,
When we were watching telly
She said listen John, I love you
But there's this bloke, I fancy
I don't want to two time you,
So it's the end for you and me
There were three men came out of the West
Their fortunes for to try
And these three men made a solemn vow
John Barleycorn must die
It was upon a Lammas night,
When corn rigs are bonie,
Beneath the moon's unclouded light,
I held awa to Annie;
The time flew by, wi' tentless heed,
Till, 'tween the late and early,
Wi' sma' persuasion she agreed
To see me thro' the barley.
Corn rigs, an' barley rigs,
An' corn rigs are bonie:
I'll ne'er forget that happy night,
Amang the rigs wi' Annie.
The sky was blue, the wind was still,
The moon was shining clearly;
I set her down, wi' right good will,
Amang the rigs o' barley:
I ken't her heart was a' my ain;
I lov'd her most sincerely;
I kiss'd her owre and owre again,
Amang the rigs o' barley.
Corn rigs, an' barley rigs, &c.
I lock'd her in my fond embrace;
Her heart was beating rarely:
My blessings on that happy place,
Amang the rigs o' barley!
But by the moon and stars so bright,
That shone that hour so clearly!
She aye shall bless that happy night
Amang the rigs o' barley.
Corn rigs, an' barley rigs, &c.
I hae been blythe wi' comrades dear;
I hae been merry drinking;
I hae been joyfu' gath'rin gear;
I hae been happy thinking:
But a' the pleasures e'er I saw,
Tho' three times doubl'd fairly,
That happy night was worth them a',
Amang the rigs o' barley.
Corn rigs, an' barley rigs, &c.
You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Among the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in fields of gold
So she took her love for to gaze awhile
Among the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold
This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion
Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.