Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Gransnet Glossary

(7 Posts)
baggythecrust! Wed 08-Jun-11 06:38:34

This is a tongue-in-cheek, evolving glossary for gransnet — stuff that crops up in posts and takes on a special meaning.

to "Do a Modesty" means to bugger off gransnet vanish into the ether after stirring up a hornets' nest of trouble.

to "Go Pompa" means to posture in a pompous and/or patronising way about trivia.

twizzle Wed 08-Jun-11 07:44:37

smile

pompa Thu 09-Jun-11 08:12:18

BtC, that was unkind

baggythecrust! Thu 09-Jun-11 10:20:11

Rot! (I was going to mention juvenile male steers with a Northern Irish accent but I refrained out of consideration for your 'old-fashioned' sensitivities). The jokes (jibes, if you must) above are simply my way of extracting humour from what was a very worrying scenario. Your behaviour gave me the creeps. Perhaps it shouldn't have and that wasn't intended, but that is the effect it had on me when I thought about it. Perhaps you could apply your 'old-fashioned' ideas to that result.

By the way, I have no objection to people being old-fashioned, just as I have no objection if people want to use swear words. The word you objected to was not used in a nasty or aggressive way so I wouldn't call going into a strop about it old-fashioned — I'd call it intolerant.

Writing that, I've discovered my own intolerance — of attitudes (note that I say attitudes, not people) that I regard as patronising towards women.

Please also note that this post is not meant to be aggressive. It is meant to be straightforward, forthright, blunt even, but not agressive.

pompa Thu 09-Jun-11 10:43:28

BtC "that was unkind" was mean't with a smile, I would have probably made similar associations.

The "juvenile male steers with a Northern Irish accent" just whistled straight over my head, must be thick !!!

baggythecrust! Thu 09-Jun-11 11:10:30

In the rest of the UK, I believe people pronounce it bullocks. In NI, one of the vowels changes.

pompa Thu 09-Jun-11 11:40:37

Ping, OK got it now, that was too clever for me. smile