Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Glorious 26th, start of the shooting season.

(10 Posts)
pompa Sun 14-Dec-14 07:09:19

www.newsbiscuit.com/2014/12/10/glorious-26th-to-mark-start-of-first-video-camera-drone-shooting-season/

ninathenana Sun 14-Dec-14 16:50:12

tchgrin tchgrin

pompa Mon 15-Dec-14 08:03:07

There is a darker side to this.
Serious aeromodellers fly at recognised flying sites. These are known to the Federal Aviation Administration, so full size aircraft can avoid those areas or at least be aware. They are also fully insured via the British Model Flying Assoc. (up to £25 million per claim), They will either have passed a practical test to prove their competence to fly or will have to fly with an instructor. A separate test is require for every type of aircraft flown.

Very few of the flyers of these drones will be flying them at approved sites, with any insurance or training. We are concerned that these drones will bring the hobby into disrepute.

POGS Mon 15-Dec-14 09:10:44

Pompa

I agree. Hasn't there been a recent case reported of a drone flying in an aircraft space causing a problem?

pompa Mon 15-Dec-14 10:37:22

Not heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. These drones can fly at up to a mile from the operator, which if near an airfield could put them into used airspace by thoughtless people ( and as these may well be children, they may not appreciate the danger). Most model aircraft require some skill to fly (hence the tests) but the drones have gyros fitted that negate the need for any skill, so children can easily fly them.

ninathenana Mon 15-Dec-14 12:06:11

I appreciate the seriousness of the problem. I just found the way the article was written amusing.

#putinplace

janerowena Mon 15-Dec-14 12:31:03

It's a very funny article. The drone flyers however have got a bloody cheek. I always think there is a greedy hack at the controls, or paying the controller.

pompa Wed 17-Dec-14 09:28:22

Coverage of the potential scale of this problem on BBC news this morning. One estimate says that 30,000 will have been sold by the year end. How many of these will be flown responsibly and by insured operators ?

granjura Wed 17-Dec-14 16:21:28

Every man, boy and his dog is getting one for Christmas- wonder how long it will be before something happens and tehy will become much more regulated. + invasion of privacy too.

We have a fabulous nature reserve near here, with some fabulous wildlife, ibex, peregrines, chamois, marmots, and very rare rock swifts and even rarer tichodrom wallcreepers (the most wonderful mix of bright light grey and the brightest pink), and more. A limestone cliff a little bit like Malham Cove, but much bigger. Wildlife photographers have found nothing better than to use drones to take pictures of the nesting birds, and frightened them away- so no chicks raised ths year. Will they ever come back. Grrrrr.

Google Le Creux-du-Van, Neuchâtel, if you want to see the site.

fanbrits Thu 05-May-16 17:50:41

thats actually a serious matter