Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Smoking

(15 Posts)
pompa Sun 25-Jan-15 13:16:10

As requested, here is how I smoke trout/salmon etc.

This web site describes almost exactly the method I use. :-

www.livestrong.com/article/455045-how-to-smoke-fish-on-the-weber-grill/

Notes :-

NEVER use softwood or any toxic wood for smoking (ie Pine or yew)

I use fruit woods, apple etc, oak and hickory.

I use damp or green wood (apple prunings)

I do NOT add any further water as the above web site does.

I put a large handful of damp chips into an old tin tray directly on top of the charcoal.

I stack old wire trays in the smoker to use all the space, all you need is a small gap (1/2") between the layers to allow the heat and smoke to circulate. That way I can get a lot of fish smoked in one go. I do give it a bit longer when full, 20 - 30 min. Just check it after 15 min to see if is cooked and smoked enough for your taste.

I fillet and pin bone the fish before smoking (usually do it before I freeze it)

Brining is important. The brine adds flavour and reduces the water content, which causes the smoke to be drawn into the fish.

I use wet and dry brines, you will find lots of info online about brining. I use half brown sugar as I like the flavour. I also add pepper, garlic and any old herbs that happen to be around. Just play with the flavours.

Drying the fish after brining is important, it will take on a shiny sticky surface when dried (I use a fan to speed this up)

Once smoked, allow to cool ant eat ! Freeze any you are not going to eat in a few days. Luvly with crusty bread and horseradish.

Katek Sun 25-Jan-15 16:35:27

Oh that kind of smoking......I was confused!

vampirequeen Sun 25-Jan-15 20:56:13

Me too lol.

MariClaire Mon 26-Jan-15 09:07:23

Yumm...I love smoked salmon with double cream cheese, caper, red onion with lots of salt and pepper on a fresh everything bagel!

If you've got extra, why not ship some out West here (US)!! Will trade for our specialty tri-tip, a regional favorite that's uniquely seasoned and barbecued. you should eat it with my special pinquito bean dish with linguini, hamburger, red onion, peppers and tomatoes. Oh, and giant slabs of garlic bread to sop up juices. Now that's what I call "Smoking

pompa Mon 26-Jan-15 09:44:31

A word of warning - you can smoke fish, meat etc, but DON'T hot smoke cheese, it melts. Cheese has to be cold smoked which needs a more complicated set up as the smoke source has to be far enough away to allow it to cool down.

Greyduster Mon 26-Jan-15 12:40:21

I wish I'd known about this method before we threw out our old kettle BBQ last year! I realise there is steam involved in this method, but the charcoal must generate a lot of heat. Does this not overcook the fish if you have to leave it for two hours to be properly smoked through? Please feel free to say if this is Daft Question of the Day!

pompa Mon 26-Jan-15 13:22:31

It's smoke you need. not steam. The wood chips are only just damp enough to stop them catching light, I don't add the extra water as in the video.
Two hours Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 15 to 20 minutes normally, just enough to cook the fish, the brining will ensure that the smoke gets absorbed quickly. I find 20 min gives me a strongly smoked flavour.

You can improvise if you don't have a kettle BBQ. You can use a disposable BBQ for the heat and cover over with anything that will stand the heat and keep the smoke in (if you use the dustbin, give it a clean out first.)

I'm sure you could lash something up with a few bricks and some foil.

AND --- I forgot to say, do all this outside, not indoors unless you want your house to smell like a bonfire. I use the greenhouse in winter.

pompa Mon 26-Jan-15 13:29:06

The wood chips should just smoulder.

Greyduster Mon 26-Jan-15 13:36:56

I went on your link and it said smoke the fish for two hours per pound and an extra fifteen minutes for every time you lift the lid! Thought that sounded like a long time - your fifteen to twenty sounds a bit more realistic! You have whetted my appetite to have a go at this. First catch your fish!

pompa Mon 26-Jan-15 16:50:27

Ah, I as I fillet my fish, each fillet is only 6-8oz, 2 hours would be for whole fish, even that sounds a lot. Sometimes I cut the fillets into portion sized pieces before smoking. Start at 15 min and check if it is cooked.

Not been to our lake for a while, don't trust my knee on the slippery banks.

rubylady Tue 27-Jan-15 01:10:43

Mmmmmm........ smoked bacon.....

pompa Tue 03-Feb-15 11:43:58

James Martin was demonstrating ome smoking on Sunday, he covered everything you need to know (he used a dustbin!).

Sunday 1st Feb - 1:30 BBC2 - James Martin : Home Comforts

It's still on IPlayer about 3/4 the way through.

pompa Fri 06-Mar-15 19:08:31

Spring is definitely here now. Fishing today, trout were feeding on hatching flies, just shows what a mild winter we have had. Three good size trout ready for smoking smile

Medicationresearcher Fri 15-May-15 15:41:25

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Wendar Sun 02-Jul-17 19:06:48

Thanks for the advice) I use apple filings for smoking.