Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Lonely

(21 Posts)
Mickyboy67 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:28:08

This loneliness sucks nowhere open for us with slight disabilities I’m getting over strokes so can’t walk very far, but would like to still try and get out but all the elderly centres are shut due to Covid-19

Marydoll Thu 24-Jun-21 13:46:31

I've not seen you before, so welcome, if you are new. There are a few male posters on here.You may wish to visit the Good Morning, for a bit of company. It's a very welcoming thread. It's always difficult to take the first step, but once you have done it, it gets easier. I hope you can find some friendship here.

sodapop Thu 24-Jun-21 15:16:21

Hello Mickyboy sorry to hear you feel so lonely. As Marydoll said the Good Morning thread would be a good way to chat to people. Hopefully you will be able to attend your centre soon.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Jun-21 15:23:17

Afternoon Mickyboy not sure where you are located, but my local area has groups for lonely people of all types, some specifically for men, you could try researching. There’s also a Good Neighbours group with voluntary drivers who charge a nominal amount. A lot of councils now have information on their website that may point you towards other helpful facilities.
Do join the Good Morning thread on here Mick opens up every morning for us and very grateful we are too.

AGAA4 Thu 24-Jun-21 15:32:54

Hello Mickeyboy. I hope the centres will open up soon so you can meet others for a chat. In the meantime there is Silverline for older people to chat to someone.

Tizliz Thu 24-Jun-21 16:00:58

Have you heard of Men’s Shed? They have nearly 600 groups for lonely men. You don’t have to want to do crafts you can just go for a chat. Look on line to see if there is one near you. In the meantime welcome to grans net.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Jun-21 17:03:41

Welcome mickeyboy it’s a bugger when there’s no where to go or no one to click with
As tizliz says Men’s sheds are a big boon to many guys ours is very well used and make some wonderful stuff for the community but if you’re not a ‘maker’ just go for a chat and cup of tea or, or, or I m not sure if they ever have a wee dram in the tea flask ??

Mickyboy67 Mon 28-Jun-21 12:51:37

Yes heard of men’s sheds one in Hatfield but only open certain time as it’s hard for me to get there have a community centre near me waiting for them to get back as need assessment how do you use good mo

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Jun-21 13:09:04

Do you have a Good Neighbours group near you, they offer lifts at a very reasonable price, there may be other groups that provide a similar service.

Squiffy Mon 28-Jun-21 13:11:34

MickyBoy If you click on Active at the top of this page you will get a list of threads. If you scroll down, you will see Good Morning Monday. Mick starts a new thread every morning. Hope that helps. Welcome to GN!

Aveline Mon 28-Jun-21 13:17:00

Or try Rufus2's Good Evening threads. He'd be very glad to hear from another chap I suspect. He doesn't post every evening but check anyway. News from Downunder and updates on life.

lemongrove Mon 28-Jun-21 13:32:42

Welcome to GN Micky ?
Hopefully we will soon be able to do more, but meanwhile write your comments on anything that interests you on all the different threads.

Whiff Fri 09-Jul-21 06:49:30

My uncles used to belong to a group called Son's of rest. Always made me laugh the title . It was in West Midlands. Don't know if there are branches in other areas. It was men only. They had lunch, talked , played cards and dominoes . Even went on trips.

BlueBelle Fri 09-Jul-21 07:16:13

Mickyboy seems to have disappeared

Chrissyoh Fri 09-Jul-21 10:05:48

He does grinindeed BlueBelle !

glammanana Fri 09-Jul-21 10:12:57

Maybe he has found a Forum that suits him I do hope so

Blogsy Sun 10-Jul-22 16:51:19

Dating over 60

sodapop Sun 10-Jul-22 19:36:23

This thread is a year old now. Hopefully Mickyboy is able to get out and about more.

BlueBelle Sun 10-Jul-22 20:00:19

And we lost Rufus didn’t we ?

DavePortnoy Mon 18-Jul-22 02:20:02

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sweetpeasue Mon 18-Jul-22 02:25:00

Reported