Gransnet forums

Health

Breast Cancer

(89 Posts)
granmouse Tue 17-May-11 15:33:18

I am just 4 and a half years past my dx of bc.I had chemo and radio therapy and found it very hard but am now almost back to normal albeit with no eyebrows and much reduced stamina.My dx coincided with the birth of my daughter's first child and it was so frustrating to be so ill for his first few months.I've made up for it since though!
My cancer was found through a routine mammo so dont forget to keep those appointments!
Anyone else in a similar situation?

0205s Thu 07-Oct-21 18:17:28

Has anyone used Anastrozole Hormorne Treatment for Breast Cancer... there are so many side effects including Osteoporosis
Which are very concerning.
Just had lumpectomy and Radiotherapy end have prescription for Anastrozole
No horror stories please
Many Thanks in advance

dragonfly46 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:31:54

My lump was underneath and I was told on 2 occasions that it was nothing serious.

CocoPops Thu 17-Jun-21 02:10:30

I just want to say that my mother when 66 years old woke up one morning with Breast Pain. She had a shower and felt a lump Between her breasts mid sternum. So please ladies remember to check that area. She had surgery, radiotherapy and tamoxifen. No recurrence and she lived to age 84 years.

dragonfly46 Wed 16-Jun-21 20:51:44

wot anytime you want to talk I am here. PM me if you wish. I was diagnosed in 2018.

Blossoming Wed 16-Jun-21 20:31:52

Really pleased it’s good news, it will take some time to stop feeling’flat’.

wot Wed 16-Jun-21 19:38:32

Dragonfly, it's so good to be understood! I think you are right in what you said, so thank you x

Anannymous Wed 16-Jun-21 19:27:37

So pleased you had good news. I am sure the relief will kick in pretty quickly. It’s been a horrible, all absorbing time for you. I bet you will sleep well tonight.

dragonfly46 Wed 16-Jun-21 18:29:28

Having had breast cancer I know exactly how you feel wot. It takes a while before you regard life as being normal. You have had a huge shock to the system both mentally and physically. You need to get used to the new normal. flowers

wot Wed 16-Jun-21 18:12:31

Thank you all so much! I had good news but have been feeling awful today. I don't why.... I thought I would be ecstatic.

Blossoming Tue 15-Jun-21 19:56:51

Good luck for tomorrow wot

J52 Tue 15-Jun-21 19:13:33

??for you Wot. I have a routine mammogram tomorrow. Will be thinking of you and the dear friends who’ve had BC.

Anannymous Tue 15-Jun-21 19:01:12

Fingers crossed for you tomorrow wot. The waiting is horrible isn’t it? Take a pen and note pad with you and make sure you understand all that they say and if not ask them to tell you again as there is so much to take in.

wot Tue 15-Jun-21 16:44:26

Annie678 I found a large lump in April. I had all the tests including biopsy and then a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on May 21st. Now I am waiting for the results. My appointment last week was cancelled so its been so hard waiting. My big day is tomorrow for the results.... don't think I'll get much sleep tonight.

PinkCakes Sat 12-Jun-21 23:11:43

I'm 62, should have been having my breast screening at the beginning of the year, but it's been put off, until next year, I've been told..............

Anannymous Sat 12-Jun-21 19:45:45

Hello Annie678 sorry to hear you have joined the club no one wants to belong to! I was diagnosed as a result of routine screening 17 years ago. I am back on routine 3 yearly screening and know exactly what you mean about the stress of waiting for results. I am due my next one in July and already getting myself into a state about it. The poor postman has one arm shorter than the other where I grab the post through the letterbox whilst waiting for the results, so you are not alone! My only suggestion is to make good use of Breast Cancer Now/Breast Cancer Care, they were my saviours many times and may well have some tips for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Annie678 Sat 12-Jun-21 16:40:36

Just recovering from lumpectomy and had some lymph nodes removed. Was picked up on mammogram. Feel waiting on results so so scary. Any tips u can share with me. Thanks. X

Reddevil3 Mon 29-Apr-13 08:32:21

Please, please, everyone- the diagnostic info. received far outweighs the risk of the very tiny radiation dose in a mammogram.
However, it has been suggested that routine mamms should be every other year if not every 3 years.
In the 90's, I worked in a "one stop" clinic. Staff were radiographer, radiologist and breast surgeon. First of all, mammogram. Films then examined by radiologist, who, if deemed necessary did untrasound. Then if necessary, a fine needle biopsy by the surgeon.
Unfortunately, these clinics no longer exist as far as I know, but I am sure that they saved the patients a lot of sleepness nights worrying between appointments.

Also, if you have symptoms, and get an emergency appointment for a mammogram, do insist that you have an ultrasound examination too.

jeanie99 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:45:27

After my last mammogram the letter I received said if I was 70 before my next test I would not receive a routine prompt for the test.
If I wished to continue having the tests I needed to contact the hospital to make an appointment.

Forzanonna Sun 28-Apr-13 13:33:25

Not entirely sure but I think it would be 31 days from date of diagnosis. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction 14 months ago. Found on screening - absolutely no symptoms. I'm so lucky, no chemo, no radiotherapy, I just take hormone tablets. Had my first annual check up last month and all well. Hope all goes well Varya

JessM Sun 28-Apr-13 00:21:23

Varya there used to be a target for how long you would wait to get seen initially by the hospital if your GP referred you with suspected cancer. But I think the present government did away with "targets". I do remember them talking doing so.
After that I think it will depend on the hospital and how busy (and how efficient) they are. Your GP should be able to tell you, or your consultant's secretary. I waited a couple of weeks once I had seen the consultant and they were very apologetic about the wait - but xmas intervened. Are you having a lumpectomy first? I had a staged process - needle biopsy in outpatients to get a lab verdict on cells, then a lumpectomy in day surgery to get a better look at the cancer under a microscope etc, and then a partial mastectomy.
Hope you get an appointment soon - the waiting bits are not easy.

Ariadne Sat 27-Apr-13 17:51:38

I waited ten days, but don't know the statistics, I'm afraid.

Varya Sat 27-Apr-13 15:15:32

Recently diagnosed but cannot find national guidelines which tell patients how long they have to wait for surgery after routine m/gram showed the problems. Does anyone know the waiting time please for breast cancer surgery?

JessM Fri 18-Nov-11 09:49:18

Mine get done in the hospital rather than the caravan (more expert staff I suspect) (partial mastectomy )
The machines have improved immensely over the years - rounded rather than sharp edges and an instant release mechanism once complete. Yoga/antenatal breathing.

Ariadne Fri 18-Nov-11 09:24:54

We grit our teeth, as always. It is extremely uncomfortable because that breast remains sensitive for a long time - well - mine has.

rosienanna Thu 17-Nov-11 20:51:29

Thank you again for all your good wishes!
Polly we are thrilled but very worn out with all the stress, i don't it's sunk in yet!
I heard today there is a newer type mammogram machine ..thats slightly more kind? or maybe it's all down to the personality of the one about to flatten you!
my last experience of that wasn't good..
How do you ladies manage a mammogram after having surgery? lumps removed ..