Gransnet forums

Health

Scalp psoriasis

(18 Posts)
nannienet Fri 23-Sep-11 22:25:51

does anyone suffer with psoriasis on the scalp? I have my hair coloured/highlights done about every 3mths,can only use a shampoo that won't strip the colour out.any remedies to use?

greenmossgiel Sat 24-Sep-11 10:45:02

nannienet, I have had this condition for years. I have a patch a bit bigger than a 50p at the back of my scalp just above my hairline. GP prescribed Betnovate Scalp application, but despite using it very regularly - in fact probably far too regularly - it doesn't really control it. Polytar used to help a bit, though it didn't send it away. I used to dye my hair blonde, and the Polytar didn't seem to affect it. Do you colour yours a dark colour? T-gel is good, though not as effective as Polytar, I don't think?

nannienet Sat 24-Sep-11 18:29:09

Hi,I have a full head of highlights done at the hairdressers every 3/4mths.I know head and shoulders strips the colour out and my GP also said don't use it as it can make psoriasis worse.I was given Betnovate years ago for it when I was a teenager( oh my goodness that is years ago).I will have to try a shampoo when I'm ready to nearly have my hair coloured again to see if it does affect the colour.Stress is a major factor that affects my skin as I also have it in my ears too

Annobel Sat 24-Sep-11 18:36:35

My GP gave me Betamousse for scalp psoriasis and it cleared it as if by magic! Didn't put it im my ears though. Betnovate helps with them.

glammanana Sat 24-Sep-11 19:42:58

I've alway's found T-gel stopped any uncomfortable scalp problem's.

nannienet Sun 25-Sep-11 18:25:13

Thank you everyone for your tips,I think I will purchase some Polytar and try it and hope it doesn't strip my colour out. At the moment I am using Locoid cream in my ears,it's a 0.1% hydrocortisone cream prescribed by my consultant.

dottybangles Wed 28-Sep-11 17:43:12

Hi Nannienet
My neighbour suffers terribly with scalp psoriasis and he has started using Purepotions Skin Salvation Bath Oil. It sounds crazy but it is an oil that he puts straight onto his scalp at night and then washes it out in the morning and he swears by it. He has suffered for years and says that this is the only thing that has made a difference and it doesn't sting to use it!
Hope that helps, good luck
Dotty B
PS he gets it online from their website www.purepotions.co.uk

Joanall Thu 17-May-12 03:07:04

I get psoriasis at the base of my scalp when I use conventional shampoos. It is very itchy and eventually with grooming and scratching it becomes red raw. My doctor recommended using an SLS free shampoo which I found at www.skinsalveation.com. It is very mild and it does clean very well. I used to even take it with me to my hairdressers every week and now they've actually got it as an option for people with sensitive scalps .
I read about SLS , Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and it is very strong, almost industrial! You need to use something that contains Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES) which is much ,much milder So look for SLS FREE,and it should help
Joan

Pennysue Thu 17-May-12 07:28:33

I have a patch of psoriasis on my forehead and into the hair. About 3 weeks ago a friend suggested lemon juice - thought she was mad but gave it a try.

Dab pure lemon juice on every morning with a make up remover pad (stings like mad for a few seconds) but it has made a difference. Not itching all the time and if the itch starts up I dab a bit more on, but I have not had to do this for the last week.

The skin does look better. Considering my psoriasis is much worse under stress and we are in the process of selling our house (hope to exchange contracts this week) I am really surprised how much better it is.

fieldwake Thu 17-May-12 08:19:15

I have seborrhoeic dermititus, itchy dry scalp, suddenly just before Xmas, Dr prescribed scalp application and Ketopine Shampoo. I use just the shampoo now once a week as prevention. My scalp still dry and bit scurfy but manageable. I had such greasy hair before I had to shampoo most days. Weird, don't know the cause! I haven't coloured my hair for 12 years since retired and wouldn't want to do anything like that now.

GillieB Tue 22-May-12 21:17:39

My daughter had dreadful psoriasis on her scalp when she was four/five and I used coconut oil to control it - I bought it in a tub from the chemist, gently melted it down, and then, using a pastry brush, dabbed it on her head. It was left in for half an hour or so, then I combed her hair, and washed it out. She has never had a problem with it since then (although she does get it everywhere else). Hope this helps.

Cynthy06 Tue 22-Dec-15 00:21:39

my name is Cynthia i just want to say a big thank you to Dr Tosin a great spell caster from Nigeria who has helped me end my days of sorrows, i was infected with psoriasis and i have been to so many medical center for treatment and no one was able cure the diseases until when i was introduced to Dr Tosin the world famous spell caster doctor who promised me the sickness will leave my body in 3 days i didn't really believe at first but i just gave it a try and to God be the glory i was so surprised they really left my body and now i am able to speak where there are crowd and able to sit with people i am so happy and i don't know how to appreciate his great work that's why i am letting the world know today that there are good people out there that are ready to help you with any situation you might been passing through you might fall into the same situation just like me, i will advice you to stop being worried cos as you're seeing my post today consider yourself to be cured, i will give out Dr Tosin contact to help others around the world because i can't explain how happy i am right now if you're passing through any kind of disease that you've spent so much on and seems to be no changes you can contact Dr Tosin right now and i am sure he will be so glad and willing to help you, you can write to him via email tosinbalogunspiritua[email protected], I wish good luck to everyone!

Cynthy06 Tue 22-Dec-15 00:21:57

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

kittylester Tue 22-Dec-15 06:30:59

My name is kitty and I've just reported this post!

Marelli Tue 22-Dec-15 07:13:17

tchgrin, Like your style, kitty ! I'd tried to report it from my smartphone, but the reporting facility isn't there.
Think that even on a Winter Solstice, spellcasting for psoriasis from Nigeria, might be a bit of a long shot...tchwink

annsixty Tue 22-Dec-15 08:48:00

My son started with psoriasis as a teen and we were recommended Ceanel concentrate to use as a shampoo and it was very helpful. I don't know if it is still sold but Boots stocked it. He is amost bald now so it isn't such a problem, just when he is very stressed.

KitKatt Thu 06-Dec-18 09:26:18

Lemon juice just made it worse in my case.

annodomini Thu 06-Dec-18 10:22:05

Goodness, how do these very old threads get dug up? I have just spotted a post from my previous avatar from 7 years ago!