Gransnet forums

Health

Total Knee Replacement

(173 Posts)
pompa Sat 20-Sep-14 18:48:29

Oh dear what have I done. just had my knee replaced (Tuesday afternoon). Home today and feeling very sorry for myself, why on earth did I do it. The hospital assure me it will improve, but they would wouldn't they. My poor wife is running around after me, she is an angel.

granjura Sun 01-May-16 15:41:58

Well that was VERY special- had a surprise week-end visit by DD1 and grand-daughter for the week-end- flew in from London on Friday night to cheer me on my way. Little one read to me all the time for the 3 x x 1hr on the kinetec machine - how special and wonderful.

granjura Fri 29-Apr-16 16:35:34

115 degree today- and the physio got me to throw the crutches away and put me on an exercise bike. Feel elated I have to say. The machine only goes to 120 degrees, so keeping it for another 10 days then sending it back- just in time for last app. with surgeon and our journey to the UK- where I shall use the pool every day, and the gym, and do plenty of walking around Rutland Water. Hurrah.

granjura Wed 27-Apr-16 21:32:27

Excellent news. Did you have the use of a machine like the one I mentionned?

We were going to go to the spa (about 40mins away) to start exercising in the warm pool- but it's been snowing like crazy so gave up on the idea. The cycling Tour de Romandie had to be cancelled on that route!

pompa Wed 27-Apr-16 21:07:35

You are doing very well to get so much movement so soon. I just starting to forget that the knee has been replaced.

granjura Wed 27-Apr-16 20:38:29

Here is the machine

youtu.be/CsTBeccgw8c

granjura Wed 27-Apr-16 20:15:18

Five weeks since the op and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. What caused so much pain was not so much the knee replacement, but all the scraping and cutting of the extra arthritic bone that had gwon around the knee.

Got to 110 degree bend to day and was wondering what I would have done different had I known what it would be like, so here goes:

I would have insisted on having a few sessions of physio about 1 month before, even if I had had to pay for it myself. So that physiotherapist could show me what exercises to do beforehand and strengthen quads, etc.

I would have insisted on having crutches also about 1 month before- and shown how to use them by physiotherapist, and how to go up and down the stairs- so I could practice and become comfortable with them, and get my arms stronger.

I keep hearing about older people having he op and hardly any follow up or physio afterwards, especially in rural areas. This is disastrous, truly. I booked the physiotherapist 1 month before, to ensure all was in place on time - no delay is essential- started the day after I got home (poor DH having to drive me there and wait).

A real boon was to ask the surgeon if I could hire a kinetec/artromot machine- which is like a large splint in to parts with a motor. You lie on your back and get your leg strapped on the machine- which then slowly forces your leg to bend up and then slowly down to minus 10 degrees to ensure full extension. You can increase speed as you improve, and also the degree of bend- started at 50, then 55- and slowly up over the days and weeks to 110 today (the goal set by surgeon until I see him again on 9th). Fortunately, health insurance will cover about 90% of it- but I would have rented one even if it had not been covered and tighten the belt elsewhere (it's about £6.00 a day, so not a massive sum). If these are not avaialble on the NHS, I would certainly ask about private hire as it is such a massive help.

Anyone else got any advice for anyone facing the prospect? Bonne chance.

granjura Thu 14-Apr-16 12:34:31

all fingers crossed then- bravo.

pompa Thu 14-Apr-16 12:27:27

Well done, my progress was very slow after the 90 deg point, so much so that I hardly noticed the improvement, but it must have done, as I have the same in both knees now, about 130 deg.

granjura Thu 14-Apr-16 11:57:19

Massive barrier broken to day- finally got to beyond the magical 90 degrees (bend) and even to 95. I am on my way- and it is so exciting, 3 weeks and 2 days.

granjura Thu 31-Mar-16 19:11:01

typing with one hand - apologies for typos

granjura Thu 31-Mar-16 17:26:41

thanks- had firs physio session down in the Valley and he was so lovely and supportive, and said I was doing ok. As soon as he spole to me I cried like a baby whale and couldn't stop. Next sessiono on Saturday then 2x a week for 6 weeks and he has given me exercises to do in between.

ginny, lol, not been ablt to kneel for years anyhow- I usually do weeding sitting down on an old towel- and yes- not a pretty sight when I get up- much hilarita with my lovely neighbours!

ginny Thu 31-Mar-16 16:54:28

I do agree about kneeling. I can't do that but then the need seldom arises. I can sit on the floor and the family find great amusement in the way I get up again . It's not a pretty sight !

pompa Thu 31-Mar-16 16:22:27

Granjura, that was my first day home (day4), if you read on it did improve quite quickly.

After 3 weeks, I quote :-

Ginny, I am now 3 weeks in and am able to do most of the things I used to do :-
Sit with my feet up
Watch TV
Read my book
Eat my meals
Get DW running around after me
Etc.
Definitely back to normal.

But it did take longer than my hip, I'd say it was about 85% now 18 months on, doubt it will ever be more than 90% as I find kneeling very painful, even for a few moments.

granjura Thu 31-Mar-16 09:54:02

Copying your old post Pompa:

Oh dear what have I done. just had my knee replaced (Tuesday afternoon). Home today and feeling very sorry for myself, why on earth did I do it. The hospital assure me it will improve, but they would wouldn't they. My poor wife is running around after me, she is an angel.

and swap OH for wife ...

got home last night, and all I can do is cry my eyes out like a baby- just can't face having to get in the car t go down the valley to physio this afternoon, but I know I must (struuuuuuf).

Deedaa Fri 25-Mar-16 22:14:17

I was in for 4 days with the first one and five days for the second because it was done over Easter and included a bank holiday!

ginny Fri 25-Mar-16 20:01:56

Wow ,more than 2 weeks in hospital ! I was in for 2 1/2 days each time. I wouldn't think you would need the machine at he after that amount of time.

Claudiaclaws Fri 25-Mar-16 19:29:23

Suey, Something similar happened to me after my knee replacement.
The first time I went for phisio after my op, the young man there gave me far too many exercises to do and I was in absolutely in agony afterwards. I rang up and spoke to the Physio in charge and she agreed and they were reduced. Apart from that I had a very successful knee replacement.
My right one was done in the November, and the left one done the following February. A fraction close together, but I managed.
I can't emphasise enough how important it is to do your exercises at home. Good luck to OP.

annsixty Fri 25-Mar-16 19:25:06

My neighbour went in on Mon early, had op but I can t remember what time. She was discharged on Wed evening when her H went to visit.

pompa Fri 25-Mar-16 19:18:24

"Will be in for about 2 weeks" What, in hospital ?, I was out in 4 days.

granjura Fri 25-Mar-16 19:03:41

Thanks for you very kind support. The last 2 days were hell on earth- and hope to erase from memory.

The electric splint is brilliant- the base is in 2 parts and bends slowly up and down to the pre selected degree, with your foot strapped in at right angles. As said, I shall hire one to go home and keep doing the exercises.
Will be in for about 2 weeks- probably till next Friday. Onwards and forwards.

pompa Fri 25-Mar-16 18:59:25

I never saw such a machine, had a series of exercises to do between physio sessions, I think the torturers physios wanted to hear my screams personally. I had physio for about 6 weeks.

Auntieflo Fri 25-Mar-16 18:24:59

Hello Granjura, sorry that I haven't responded to you sooner. You were kind and encouraging to me when my knee replacement happened. It's just over three months now, and getting better each day. I hope you are not too uncomfortable at the moment, but I know all the G'netters willbe wishing you well on here. I'm glad I have had mine done, but won't rush to get the other one done just yet. All the best and have a lovely Easter, with lots of lovely chocolate eggs.

granjura Fri 25-Mar-16 18:08:13

Hate it- but the key to improvement, so have asked to hire one when I go home.

ginny Fri 25-Mar-16 13:45:13

Glad you are feeling better today granjura. Oh, how I hated that machine ! Persevere with the exercises, it will be worth it.

I am now enjoying walking and a 'Zumba Gold' class every week. I have also lost just over 1 1/2 st. in weight which must help.

pompa Fri 25-Mar-16 10:23:52

I loved being awake and hearing all the agricultural noises, also a bit of banter with the surgeon, also no pain overnight until the block wore off.

First 3 days or so are definitely the worst, all good from here on (except the physio of course). You will soon be back up and dancing again.