Gransnet forums

Health

I don't want to be taking Zopiclone

(33 Posts)
AlieOxon Tue 07-Oct-14 13:36:31

I have a lot of insomnia and have taken various things but not in high doses.
I was taking temazepam and then Dr Y changed me to zopiclone - I only take half a 3.75mg tablet now but since I went down from 1 tablet (in 2 halves, one about 3am) I am sleeping very badly indeed.
Anyone had difficulty and what are the alternatives?

nikkinemo95 Sun 23-Aug-20 10:20:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nikkinemo95 Wed 29-Jul-20 18:32:46

NanTheWiser Wed 29-Jul-20 18:15:27

It was oliviasmith, BlueSky, obviously a link to a seller. I have reported.

BlueSky Wed 29-Jul-20 08:28:38

How come that ancient threads are resurrected? Usually there is an advert for a product in the reply but I don't think in this case.

BradfordLass73 Wed 29-Jul-20 04:46:27

I can tell you what I do, though I can't guarantee it will work for you as my circcumstances are probably quite different to yours.

First of all I stopped worrying about it smile This was easier once I retired and did not have to bounce out of bed at 6:30 to go to work.

I've suffered from chronic insomnia for over 40 years.
I take magnesium glycinate (but not every night), as that is most easily absorbed.

I also have a CD player with an audio book (free from the library) beside my bed because having tried all manner of things over the years (includig melatonin; seratonin, Co-enzyme 10, herbal and pharmaceutical sleep aids) nothing works permanently, so I may as well lie there enjoying a good story.

If I can get hold of lime flowers they are absolutely wonderful for a late night tea. Sadly, where I live now, it's too warm for lime trees.

Because I have a wheat intolerance, amazingly this can work in my favour. If I go to bed at 11pm and am still wide awake at 2am, a sandwich can knock me out immediately!
The body concentrates on processing the carbs and makes you tired. This is why people feel sleepy after Sunday dinner smile

No caffeine either, I drink Rooibos tea and decaf coffee but not after 4pm. I drink Buckwheat Tea which has a pleasant, slightly savoury taste which suits me better than the sweet fruit teas.

I use magnesium cream too because if I don't drink enough water, that can lead to RLSyndrome and night cramps.

I have a sipper bottle of water by my bed and take a great swig if I get cramp. By the time I've staggered to the loo, the cramp has gone.

I don't have a TV but I've heard watching before bed can affect the brain and prevents good sleep.

Most of all, try not to worry because unless you are deadly tired during the day and can't focus or work properly, the few hours you do sleep are probably enough.
They tend to be deeper and mor refreshing.

I recently read that the natural sleep pattern for many, many people, is to sleep 4 hours, then wake naturally, (in France some people get up and work, then go back to bed!)
if you can accept this and just listen to the radio, CD or even read a book, you will go back to sleep.

Scientific article here on the 4 hour sleep pattern:

www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again#:~:text=It%20took%20some%20time%20for,process%20with%20a%20biological%20basis.

BlueBelle Tue 28-Jul-20 08:45:05

I wouldn’t touch Zopiclone with a long barge pole it’s not a nice tablet at all
Like olivias I would do everything you can by the natural route and a lot is about accepting your sleep pattern some people have this overriding panic that if they don’t get 8 hours every night there’s something wrong
The more you can accept a ‘bad’ night or a group of ‘bad’ nights the less it will happen a lot of non sleeping is fear of not sleeping
I think chemical laden sleeping tablets are a curse

oliviasmith Tue 28-Jul-20 07:26:49

amandalewis Tue 12-Jan-16 11:11:47

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Alicethegreat Wed 12-Nov-14 15:46:01

I had this problem for years I find not getting into bed too earlyhelps but also not doing too much for a few hours before if i watch tv till right before i go up my brain won't shut down properly. I have a lavender oil bath, warm milk with nutmeg (through a tea strainer before drinking though) and honey then read for an hour before i get into bed and half and hour after. I have come off zopliclone now ......Horrible stuff hated the spacey feeling and yucky taste the next day.

Mishap Wed 05-Nov-14 20:42:35

Allie - insomnia - poor you, especially as it is an ongoing problem for you.
Never heard of the magnesium idea for insomnia - hope that, or something else, will help.

I assume you have tried all the herby tablets like herbal Nytol - and camomile tea.

Grannyknot Wed 05-Nov-14 20:00:10

Hi again rowan I just checked and it promotes oral health too, so yes you can spray it directly into your mouth.

alie congrats on your new grandson smile

Grannyknot Wed 05-Nov-14 18:40:55

Rowan you can take the spray orally as well I think (but I don't). I just like the spray, it's a personal preference because I always forget to take supplements. And I keep the spray on my bedside table, nice and convenient. I spray it on my love handles grin ! Jokes side, I think you can spray it anywhere where you have skin, I just squirt twice on each hip. Obviously not near the eyes.

I don't use it every night, only when I remember.

TriciaF Wed 05-Nov-14 18:18:24

I've had irregular sleep patterns for a few years now, and my doctor won't give me anything for it.
Usually it's some ache or pain that keeps me awake - my feet, with corns or recently, arthritis. indigestion, brain working overtime, ETC.
I usually have one bad night, followed by a good night, got used to it.
I tried melatonin for a while, but I seemed to build up a tolerance to it. Now it sometimes helps to take a 500mg paracetamol with a piriton .

Rowantree Wed 05-Nov-14 17:50:40

grannyknot the Huffington Post article recommends taking a magnesium supplement orally. Now I'm a bit confused. Why do you use a spray rather than a supplement? And how do you use the spray? I mean, whereabouts on your body and how much?

Grannyknot Wed 08-Oct-14 14:04:54

jings re growyouthful.com you don't know how good I look on it wink grin the proof, as they say ...

I rest my case.

AlieOxon Wed 08-Oct-14 12:16:14

Sorry I didn't come back yesterday jings
Thanks all.
I managed to sleep ok last night on the half tablet in the night.
- but I was tired from the night before!

I can't sleep the whole night whatever I do, but I have to get up to the loo anyway, so I have a snack and a half cuppa and a read, and then try again.
...seems all my worries some back then, as soon as I have had some sleep, and I usually wake up about 3am.

I was on temazepam, half tablet in the same way, never needed any more and it worked on the anxiety too, which I don't find the zopiclone does.

I may have to take two halves tonight as I have to deal with a meeting at my house on Thursday! Which I know i will cope with fine - but it makes me tense!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Oct-14 23:06:30

That herbal tea will give you bad dreams. [nodsheadknowingly]

Ana Tue 07-Oct-14 23:04:46

Oh dear, I can't stop laughing, what with this and the Bearded Lady thread! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Oct-14 22:48:07

growyouthful.com?

No. You'll have to do better than that! grin

Ana Tue 07-Oct-14 22:14:17

Ooh, haven't tried that - will have to give it a go. Thanks! smile

Grannyknot Tue 07-Oct-14 22:10:37

Re the sleeping, I also drink Sleepy Time tea. Knocks me out ...

Grannyknot Tue 07-Oct-14 19:42:48

Ana yes it is absorbed through the skin and perhaps there is an a cumulative effect ...?

jings there are loads of website s and articles, I just picked the first one. Here's another one:
www.growyouthful.com/remedy/magnesium-oil.php

When my husband had a heart attack, the ambulance crew were chatting to me and they said if someone has low magnesium levels and they have to use the paddles for resus, "the patient won't hold the charge". Whether they were just making light conversation to take our minds off what was going on, I don't know. My husband didn't need the paddles BTW. They did praise me to high heaven for being so calm "You did a fine job" they said "it's our turn now". All I did was stay calm and follow instructions grin.

hildajenniJ Tue 07-Oct-14 19:28:12

I would continue to take the prescribed dose of zopiclone. It has the effect of sending you off to sleep. The effects wear off after about four hours. It is used to get your body back into a proper sleeping pattern and not meant for long term use. In the Nursing Home I used to work in, several of the Residents used zopiclone to very good effect and they were all in various stages of Alzheimers disease. Another plus is that zopiclone is much less addictive than Temazepam.

I don't sleep very well. During the summer, there were some nights when I didn't get to sleep until the birds were singing. I think it has to do with the menopause and I'm just waiting to see.

Faye Tue 07-Oct-14 18:20:22

Interesting post Grannyknot. A friend said magnesium deficiency is sometimes the cause of anxiety and I found it helped me with Restless Leg Syndrome. It makes sense that it could also be the reason in some cases of insomnia. Magnesium is found in green leafy vegetables, avocados, nuts and seeds, bananas, fish, beans and lentils, whole grains, dark chocolate etc.

Apparently a deficiency in magnesium can lead to muscle spasms, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety disorders, migraines, osteoporosis and cerebral infarction.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 07-Oct-14 18:12:36

I'm not sure I'd believe anything I read in that Huffington Post.