Gransnet forums

Health

Frustration when op is postponed

(18 Posts)
mcem Fri 24-Oct-14 22:48:31

Dd1 has spent nearly 4 weeks in hospital for treatment and tests. Finally it was decided that her digestive system has almost ceased to operate and the only solution is a fairly big op and an ileostomy, which means a stoma bag.
She has accepted the inevitable and for the last few days has been psyching herself up for it. Today the due time came and went but eventually she was told they couldn't go ahead as emergencies had, of course, taken precedence.
I understand why this had happened but it it soooooo frustrating!
With luck, the op should be carried out tomorrow.
Another 3 weeks before she gets home so we'll get on with caring for 2 slightly confused but wonderfully resistant little people and will fit in hospital visits when we can.
I'd be grateful to hear of positive experiences of this op and coping with the aftermath.

ninathenana Fri 24-Oct-14 23:07:27

I have no experience of the actual operation. I just wanted to say I totally understand yours and her frustration. A friend has just had her planned op cancelled on the morning she was to be admitted.
I hope your DD doesn't have to wait long and that the surgery goes well and she has a speedy recovery. flowers

mcem Sat 25-Oct-14 06:54:13

Thanks nina. I know that noone is to blame for these situations and emergencies crop up but it's no less frustrating! I sincerely hope we can get on with it today.
Btw, my dear grandchildren are resilient not resistant!

Kiora Sat 25-Oct-14 07:32:17

What a worry. I hope someone can give you some positive tips and that there is a good outcome for your daughter and she is up and about soon. flowers

hildajenniJ Sat 25-Oct-14 08:00:55

I know a lady who had a similar op. as the one planned for your DD. She was in her mid forties when she had the stoma. She is now in her mid seventies and has coped very well. She has been very active, brought up two boys and never let it stand in her way. She went swimming and carried on with life as normal.

I hope everything goes well, and that they do the op today.

kittylester Sat 25-Oct-14 10:33:41

I bet your DGC are resistant as well as resilient!! You will be helping loads by looking after the children and taking one worry off your daughter!

I hope all goes well for your daughter! flowers

Mishap Sat 25-Oct-14 10:44:22

So frustrating for everyone. Well done for holdingt he fort with the iittle ones.

I have a friend with a stoma. The first few weeks were of course a bit trying, as always after major surgery, but she then picked up her life and truly is totally fine. She leads a full active life and has adapted to it all very well indeed - and I guess she is older than your DD, who will have the stamina and resilience of youth on her side as well.

She made me laugh yesterday as the local stoma support nurses have started a group called "Bums on Tums" - a slightly crude title, but understandable!

ffinnochio Sat 25-Oct-14 13:03:21

mcem. A difficult and frustrating time, but hope all goes well and hoping your daughter has to wait no longer than tomorrow. flowers

A family member had an ileostomy quite a few years ago now, and had a successful reversal operation 2 years later, although I'm not sure whether it was considered to be a temporary stoma at the time of the operation or not. There have been no problems since.

mcem Sat 25-Oct-14 13:11:47

Thank you for kind and helpful posts. Just waiting for news now as op did take place this morning. When DD is in the right frame of mind I'll certainly pass on the 'bums on tums' remark!!
The wee ones are with other GPs at an activity centre. Having fun and blissfully unaware!

Mishap Sat 25-Oct-14 14:53:57

Good luck to your DD. I hope the surgery has gone smoothly. This is a worrying time for you all, but I know that soon the worst will be over and she will be able to pick up the pieces of her life and move on with better health.

thatbags Sat 25-Oct-14 17:24:06

Good to hear the operation went ahead, mcem. I hope your DD makes a good recovery and is in good spirits. She'll need all her energy with the children to deal with too flowers

mcem Sat 25-Oct-14 18:52:53

Thank you all. It was good to have your support and I'm glad I got it off my chest. Trying very hard to contain all sorts of stuff to avoid making things more difficult for DD.
Op went well and I was able to spend an hour with her. In that hour her colour improved, her speech was better and she grew more relaxed. I think after a glass of wine plus Strictly I might sleep better tonight!

ffinnochio Sat 25-Oct-14 18:53:31

mcem That's good that the operation went ahead. Wishing your daughter a speedy and comfortable recovery. Stoma nurses & support staff have a keen sense of humour which is much needed at times. smile

Agus Sat 25-Oct-14 22:01:19

All the best to your DD mcem. Hopefully surgery went well for her and she has a speedy recovery, going from strength to strength as she feels a positive improvement in her health. My best wishes to her for the future flowers

Grannyknot Sun 26-Oct-14 17:10:44

mcem flowers

mcem Sun 26-Oct-14 18:48:12

Looking after little ones today and think it's too soon for them to visit, so haven't seen DD today. My sister visited and reported back that she's in good spirits and is hungry. She's requested some good strong cheese and that is such a good sign. It's normally a favourite but she hasn't been interested in food for weeks.

Agus Sun 26-Oct-14 19:28:38

That is good news mcem. Good spirits and hungry are great signs. Sounds as if your DD has a positive attitude and a fighting spirit which will greatly assist in her recovery. Onwards and upwards now.

annodomini Sun 26-Oct-14 20:01:00

I've just caught up with this thread, mcem and am so sorry that you and your family are having such a trying time. Let's hope that your daughter has turned the corner with this major op. flowers to all.