Gransnet forums

Health

Rivaroxaban (Xarelto)

(11 Posts)
NotTooOld Wed 01-Apr-15 18:06:15

I'm having to take this anti-coagulant for another 15 days post hip replacement and it is driving me mad. One of the common side effects is skin itching and I am suffering badly from it. I take the tablet at tea time, as per instructions, and spend a miserable evening itching and scratching. Luckily, it usually goes off when I get to bed. Has anyone else experience of this? I need a fellow sufferer to make me feel I am not alone! Roll on 16 April when I will take the last of the little bl***ers.

Mishap Wed 01-Apr-15 18:35:03

Have you spoken to doc about this? Don't be tempted to give them a miss without medical advice.

NotTooOld Wed 01-Apr-15 20:12:30

No, I won't give them a miss, Mishap, I'm not that daft. I'd just like to know that I am not the only sufferer!

Mishap Wed 01-Apr-15 21:44:34

I had no problems when I was on it thank goodness. It sounds very annoying. So far it looks as though you are only the sufferer! Bad luck!

thatbags Wed 01-Apr-15 22:55:47

Could you consult a pharmacist about possibly taking an antihistamine, or using an antihistamine cream for the itching? I don't know if it would work, but I think I'd ask if I were you.

NotTooOld Wed 01-Apr-15 23:03:37

I have tried piriton but without effect. An antihistamine cream could be an idea, though. I'll try the pharmacist route. Thanks for all your suggestions.

TriciaF Thu 02-Apr-15 10:43:18

I think that's what husband had in injection form after he had an operation to repair his broken ?tibia.
He came out in a severely itchy rash too. After a day or 2 we went to the doctor and he said he should have come straight away. Gave him an alternative to take in tablet form, which was OK.
Best to ask your GP.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Apr-15 11:04:13

Oh, thanks, Tricia. It does sound like it could be the same, doesn't it? I believe it is commonly given after an op to thin the blood and prevent clots. I'll look into that.

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 12:10:09

There are alternative anticoagulants in tablet or injection form, so I think best to ask GP.
I had 3 months of Dalteparin (Fragmin) injections after smashing my ankle, without any side effects other than lots of tiny pinpricks and bruises on my fat sylph-like highly toned wobbly tummy.
Pity it wasn't Botox tbuhmm!

Mishap Thu 02-Apr-15 12:49:19

Yes - I looked pretty bruised and battered when I needed to self-inject an anti-coagulant for 4 months after a fracture. But less bruised than when OH did it for me - he is an ex-doc, but has PD so his aim was a bit shaky!

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 13:42:51

Bless him! DH went white then green before leaving the room, wouldn't have been a great deal of help....it would have been different when injecting cows when farming (used needles as thick as fine knitting needles envy!)