Gransnet forums

Health

Sleeping pill - any advice please?

(89 Posts)
Nonnie Fri 16-Sep-16 12:10:42

Having always been one who slept very well I started to have problems this year due to circumstances in my life. Eventually I went to the doc (locum) who prescribed mild sleeping pills with a warning that they could be addictive. I only took them when desperate and they only helped a bit.

Since life has improved considerably I still can't sleep so went to the doc yesterday. He was brilliant and explained why I still had the problem and prescribed stronger meds which I have to take for 2 weeks without a break and then go back and see him.

I took one last night at 10 pm and slept until 1100 this morning! I still feel tired and 'odd' and definitely would not drive.

Am I going to feel like this the whole time? Should I just keep taking them and become a hermit for 2 weeks? Appreciate any advice from those who know.

Bez1989 Sat 17-Sep-16 21:39:12

Yes....I'm a Junkie too !
I don't care at my age.

NemosMum Sat 17-Sep-16 21:38:35

My opinion, for what it's worth! Don't get started on sleeping pills of any kind. It's a slippery slope! I know it's awful, but just tolerate the sleeplessness; it will sort itself out in the end. Life can be rough: I've been widowed twice and my late husband had early-onset dementia for 15 years. Sleep was often impossible, or elusive. Nevertheless, your body will eventually figure it out when it can. It's better to ride it than to slip into dependence. Very best wishes.

Bez1989 Sat 17-Sep-16 21:33:24

Ýes Amitriptyline is a good drug for nerve pain too.....I use Zoplicone for sleeping.
I dont care if it's addictive at my age.
I need my sleep in order to function during the day !
Good Luck to everyone having sleep problems. flowers sunshine flowers

Sweetness1 Sat 17-Sep-16 20:05:56

I also occasionally take zoplicone...when I've had a run of restless wakeful nights for all sorts of reasons , it's like a 'treat' I sleep through.and feel great for it, never wake up groggy.!

Lewlew Sat 17-Sep-16 19:55:50

Sleep problems can be genetic. There is actually a marker for it and it runs in families. It runs in mine.

So everyone is not programmed to gently waft off into dreamland for a natural sleep at any age.

grandmac Sat 17-Sep-16 17:20:34

I sometimes have problems especially when away from home and have found that Boots Sleepeaze work quite well. They come in one a night and two a night strengths. I buy the two a night but only take one and sometimes just a half. I find they help me drop off again if (when!) I wake in the night, but don't make me feel drugged up in the morning.

Ana Sat 17-Sep-16 16:55:19

I've taken zopiclone for three years and don't wake up tired, neither have I increased the dose. Not everyone reacts in the same way to the same drugs.

That's not to say I recommend or condone the regular use of sleeping pills.

I've heard of people who have been taking amytriptylene to help them sleep for years - are they 'junkies' too? confused

rhki54 Sat 17-Sep-16 16:45:03

I was prescribed Zopiclone when I had problems sleeping after having an arthroscopy. My doctor continued to prescribe them on a repeat prescription, sometimes upping the dose. When he left, the new doctor refused to prescribe them to my husband as they were "the work of the devil and should be used sparingly". When he heard I had been taking them for ten years, he was horrified! I had an emergency appointment with him during which he said "With the greatest respect, you are a junkie!!" Zopiclone puts you to sleep but it's the wrong kind of sleep - you always wake up tired! I had two choices - either reduce slowly or go cold turkey. I chose the latter cos I felt like death with half the dose! It took six months to get my sleep cycle back to normal and the new doctor was dead impressed!! Thanh goodness we got a new doctor when we did!

phoenix Sat 17-Sep-16 16:22:13

Ill, damnit!

phoenix Sat 17-Sep-16 16:21:04

Nonnie good reply to whoever it was that posted what can only be described as a smug and I'll informed response! wink

EmilyHarburn Sat 17-Sep-16 16:10:07

These tablets sound like they may create more of a problem that solve it.

Sleep on the whole is helped by a routine. The key is to find a routine that works just as we did for our children. If I can't sleep I take an ivobrufin with my last meal and then a paracetamol with a low dose nytol from the pharmacist.

These ten tips make sense:
Successful aging: 10 tips for better sleep
Getting enough good-quality sleep is essential to staying healthy and aging well. Certain sleep problems — for example, sleep apnea — require medical treatment. But these 10 simple steps can help you overcome general sleep difficulties, including insomnia.
Get your copy of A Plan for Successful Aging

With this Special Health Report, you will learn the protective steps doctors recommend for keeping your mind and body fit for an active and rewarding life. You’ll get tips for diet and exercise, preventive screenings, reducing the risk of coronary disease, strengthening bones, lessening joint aches, and assuring that your sight, hearing, and memory all stay sharp. Plus, you’ll get authoritative guidance to help you stretch your health care dollar, select a health plan that meets your needs, prepare a health care proxy, and more.

1.Stick to a consistent sleep schedule and routine. Go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. A set sleep routine will “train” you to fall asleep and wake up more easily.
2.Use the bed only for sleep and sex.
3.Cut down on caffeine. For some people, a single cup of coffee in the morning means a sleepless night. Caffeine can also increase the need to urinate during the night.
4.Be physically active. Regular aerobic exercise like walking, running, or swimming provides three important sleep benefits: you fall asleep faster, attain a higher percentage of restorative deep sleep, and awaken less often during the night.
5.Limit daytime naps. Prolonged napping can disrupt your natural sleep cycle and prevent you from feeling tired enough to fall asleep.
6.If you use tobacco in any form, quit. Nicotine makes it harder to fall asleep.
7.Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol depresses the nervous system, so a nightcap may help some people fall asleep. But this effect disappears after a few hours and may lead to waking up throughout the night. Alcohol can also worsen snoring and other sleep breathing problems.
8.Improve your sleep surroundings. Remove the television, telephone, and office equipment from the bedroom. This reinforces the idea that this room is meant for sleeping. An ideal environment is quiet, dark, and relatively cool, with a comfortable bed and minimal clutter.
9.If you’re still awake after about 20 minutes in bed, get up and read awhile to relax. Otherwise, you’ll set yourself up for tossing and turning.
10.Try to avoid taking sleeping pills. If you do take a prescription sleep medicine, work with your doctor to use it effectively and for as short a time as possible.
To learn more about ways to stay healthy and age well, buy A Plan for Successful Aging, a Special Health Report from Harvard Medical School.

Sleep – Ted Talks
www.ted.com/talks/arianna_huffington_how_to_succeed_get_more_sleep?language=en
All the best hope you find a sucessful way forward.

Nonnie Sat 17-Sep-16 15:36:25

Tegan you and DH have things in common but even after falling asleep on the sofa he still sleeps well until I wake up. 2 nights on these pills and I haven't even woken up for a pee. Haven't done much of anything all day because I feel out of it but will keep going and hope it improves. I trust my GP which helps a lot.

Tegan Sat 17-Sep-16 15:11:43

I don't even get to the bedroom Nonnie; I fall asleep on the sofa! I think the advice given doesn't point out that it must be a programme that you 'really' want to watch. Having said that, as someone that usually sleeps well, when I do sometimes find myself not being able to sleep [often if I need to get up early the next day]it makes me realise what a terrible problem it can be for some people. I do use Paul McKenna hypnotism tapes sometimes as well but that's more for a power nap during the day.

Christo1946 Sat 17-Sep-16 14:58:30

I have been taking a "relax into sleep" drug called Amitriptyline first prescribed in Spring 2012 when I had for only the second time in my life difficulty getting to sleep following the death of my wife in the January of that year.
I trusted the doc's observation that the drug is not addictive, and have found that it helps keep my general attitude relaxed which is so necessary to gain restful sleep.
When I have been pushing myself physically and mentally and feel tired by bedtime, I take one 10mg tablet about one hour before I hope to fall asleep.
When I still feel quite lively, I take two 10mg. tablets. Needing to pass urine after four hours or so is the only thing that disturbs sleep, and even with two tablets I can reckon on 8 or nine hours sleep in total and I am never "zombie-like" at breakfast time on the subsequent morning.
Do discuss Amitriptyline with your GP as it is available only on prescription.

Nelliemoser Sat 17-Sep-16 12:09:42

On the rare occaisions I have had the prescription type I have slept but not had a refreshing sleep.
I seem to remember once being given these the night before awaiting surgery. They did not do a lot of good. You need "the right kind of sleep" to feel refreshed not just some knock out drops.

Nonnie Sat 17-Sep-16 12:06:48

There you go then Tegan what works for one doesn't for others. All the advice I have read says no TV in the bedroom!!!

mrneduc Sat 17-Sep-16 11:53:44

Meant Piriton not portion - hate the auto correct

mrneduc Sat 17-Sep-16 11:52:51

I like Melissa Dreams - herbals from health shop. Also portion tablets if all else fails.

Tegan Sat 17-Sep-16 11:51:04

My mind seems to go into overdrive late at night and I now fall asleep watching programmes on catchup; the more I WANT to watch a programme the more likely I am to nod off. I'm currently watching the BBC series Illuminations with my favourite historian Janina Ramirez because there are 3 one hour programmes and, thus far I haven't made it to the end of any of them! When my divorce was causing problems years ago my Dr put me on Zispin; I took it for a few months, eventually reducing the amount very slowly over several weeks.

Nonnie Sat 17-Sep-16 11:43:28

Thank you all for your help and advice. I think I had tried all the alternative methods, lavender then combinations of oils etc but nothing worked. It was only in desperation that I went to the doc who not only listened to me but understood what I had been going through and the after effects I was left with. He also made the appointment for me to go back in 2 weeks there and then and made one for DH at the same time. Do I have the best GP ever?

I stopped caffeine after lunch many years ago and have a regular bedtime routine which always worked until now.

I have low blood pressure which I think makes me feel worse some of the time.

foxie I wonder how you can be so sure of yourself? Perhaps you could re-read what you wrote and see how it sounds to someone who has asked for help. You couldn't be more wrong imo if you think that it is possible to simply sleep as necessary. Please speak for yourself and don't assume we are all the same.

everyone else It is good to hear your experiences and realise I am not alone. I hope you all find support with your issues, I have a very supportive DH who is making sure I don't come to any harm.

mazza245 Sat 17-Sep-16 11:23:07

If I can't sleep, occasionally I take Nytol prescribed from the doctor! I only take a half of one pill although the dosage is two tablets! I would wake up groggy with two tablets! The only side effect is a dryish mouth. I know everyone is different and the OP said she can't have Nytol but someone else might like to try it.

I remember when my daughter was a baby and she couldn't sleep with gripes, eventually in desperation I went to the clinic (do they still have them?) and the nurse gave me something, possibly Calpol, but said give it for three days, then have three days free, then three days again, it works better that way, possibly, the OP could try three nights on then three off?

Ana Sat 17-Sep-16 11:18:47

That's us told! grin

foxie Sat 17-Sep-16 11:17:48

Taking sleeping pills is a fools game and you shouldn't. Believe me when you need to sleep you will it's a natural autonomic function. As we get older we need less and less sleep anyway and I only sleep in 3-4 hour spurts. And I find the night as a time of peace and calm and I have recently rediscovered the magic of watching the dawn break and the sun rise. So should you.

hulahoop Sat 17-Sep-16 11:00:22

I take low dose of zopiclone occasionally I don't sleep well due to pain and sometimes mind games my dr is happy to prescribe them because I don't take them every night I feel ok morning after they just give me a less restless sleep ???

Lewlew Sat 17-Sep-16 10:45:16

Victoria08, I took all of the 'pams' for years and they are just so hard on the body, even though the relief almost seems worth it. I have an elderly cousin who was put on them when her husband died and she was up to a huge dose, way over mine. Fell and broke her hip in the night. sad